PDA

View Full Version : Storing Wood Outside

Rob Bodenschatz
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm having a shop build but until then, space is at a minimum. I'm looking to store some wood outside. What steps should I take to keep it safe and sound?

Obviously, get it up off the ground and cover it, right? Would it be ok to stack it on pallets and cover it with a tarp? Sticker it? Or would you not recommend storing it outside at all?

Chris Padilla
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Pallets should be fine but stickering is never a bad thing to do if you can muster it. Absolutely cover it with a tarp to keep rain and the sun off of it.

Steve Roxberg
08-10-2006, 10:46 AM
I would also be very careful to keep the base flat and level. You don't want to introduce twist because the base that you stack all of the weight on is crooked.

Mike Wilkins
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Like others have stated, it will be fine as long as your stash is on a level base, plastic covering the ground, and something to keep the rain and sun off the lumber. And don't forget to seal the end grain, even on lumber that is already dry. Find some cheap paint to cover the ends.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Joe Blankshain
08-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I have found a new use for a shipping conatiner that I bought a few month back. It is the small version (20Ft) and sits behind my shop. I use it for storage and for stacking lumber as it is water tight and helps in the drying process for wet or green wood. With the space issue you suggest, if you have room, a small container may fit the bill as they can be purchesad and delivered sub $1k. Hope this helps.

Bob Winkler
08-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Although it's not free, have you considered one of those storage pods that you rent and are placed on your property. Since your need is temporary, it may be cost-effective especially if your wood is valuable.

Bob

Doug Jones
08-10-2006, 2:09 PM
Just a thought,,,, maybe now would be a good time to test some of your friendships. Ask to store the wood in their garage/shop until your new shop is finished.
The most they can do is say "no".

Randal Stevenson
08-10-2006, 2:09 PM
How about an outdoor shed, to store it in? That way it would also be lockable (or get a slightly hungry dog).

Rob Bodenschatz
08-10-2006, 2:24 PM
Thanks to all for your feedback. I probably should have mentioned up front that the name of the game is "quick, easy & cheap". I don't really want to spend much money or time on this temporary solution. I'm not looking to store a huge amount, either. 500-1000 bd ft. All good ideas, though.

A couple of follow-up questions:

Painting the ends of the boards: Will any paint do or should I get a special kind?

Tarping it: Do I need to worry about mold or anything by doing that?

Bugs: I don't want my stash to get eaten up. Is there anything I can do to prevent it? A spray or something?

Robert Mickley
08-11-2006, 12:07 AM
I've got some cherry thats sitting under a van trailer, 4 inches off the ground. no other protection to speak of and its fine. Been out ther 18 months or so.

Ask Jim DeLaney. he got 100 board feet of right off the top and as far as I know he is happy with it

Frank Chaffee
08-11-2006, 9:43 AM
From my experience with firewood; ventilation is important.

Frank

Charlie Plesums
08-11-2006, 10:02 AM
When drying wood outside, the recommendations I have collected include having it at least 18 inches off the ground to keep wildlife out, stickered, and covered on top (but not the sides, to allow ventilation).

I have a wooden deck well above the ground, and built a fiberglass back and top to cover some wood stored there. I have found bird feathers in the stack (apparently some rodent's dinner) but no damage.

Jim Becker
08-11-2006, 10:14 AM
You want to maintain air flow through your stacks for outdoor storage, so you should NOT wrap the pile in a tarp. DO cover the top to keep rain from pooling...a sloped surface is a good idea. Some folks use corrugated roofing panels for this; others use plywood or a wood/tarp combination. (I do the latter)

I like Charlie's suggestion of raising things up a little more that you might think about at first. I only did about 8-9" and I know that the bottom layer is not going to be "really good" when I get to it.

Steve Strickler
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
I respectfully disagree with some suggestions here...

Assuming the wood is kiln dried or air-dried to EMC:

1. Why paint the ends of dried wood? That is a measure to minimize degrade during early drying. After it's below about 30%, there's no gain at all to do so.

2. Stickering it: If it's reached EMC, there's no reason to sticker it. It will neither gain nor loose any more moisture than the environment. If you pile it up while the air's dry, other than the very outer boards, it will remain nearly the same. After wood is below about 20% the staining issue is also not relevant.

3. Do not cover it: I also disagree with this. So long as the pile is covered in such a manner as to not introduce water coming in, why not cover it? If it's covered only on the top, rain and snow can blow in on it.

In any case, you will need to be SURE to bring it into your shop WELL in advance of using it to let it acclimate. I would not use it 'til it's below 8-10% MC. 6% if you live in Arizona. ;)

Just another point of view.