PDA

View Full Version : Help me arrange my workshop?

Joe Fisher
08-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Please :)

The shop as it is is organized fairly well. I have easy access to all of my tools, I can run 8' boards through my TS with no problem, and I've got lots of work space.

The problems are:
1. New bandsaw.
2. Bandsaw and jointer need dust collection.
3. My dust collector is a 1 1/2hp Delta, so I want to keep the runs short.

Here's what the shop looks like now:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/nostalgia75/Woodwork/workshop.jpg

Note the bandsaw in the middle of the floor :)

The blue lines are DC ductwork. The one going to the TS runs along the floor. I can add taps at any point.

Some notes:

-Pretty much everything except the lathe and main workbenches is on wheels. The router table is easiest to move in the direction of the arrows, but I could always put casters on it.

-The small rectangles on the wall are support columns.

-The two workbenches on the bottom and the mitre saw table are all bolted together to provide a long flat surface for the mitre saw.

-I'd like the tablesaw, bandsaw and jointer to be on the DC. The router table can be hooked up to the shop vac, and the mitre saw can be bagged.

-The scroll saw is unimportant and can be omitted if necessary.

Have fun with my shop :) I appreciate any suggestions!

-Joe

Edit: Fixed the title! Thanks :)

Mark Pruitt
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Joe, before anybody gets busy "rearranging the furniture," is the walk-in door the only access or is there an overhead door that didn't make it onto the drawing?
Mark

Mike Wilkins
08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
In my shop, I have the table saw situated where your mitersaw station now sits, with the right side rail against the wall. Since most of the tablesaw action takes place left of the blade, you will have all kinds of space now. Then I would move the mitersaw station to the wall where the jointer now sits with wall mounted cabinets above for more storage. If possible move the jointer just to the left of the tablesaw; you may have to elevate the saw a couple of inches for the jointer's fence clearance, but you will still have plenty of infeed/outfeed clearance.
As for work tables; in my small shop (16 X 24) I use folding saw horses with a scrap piece of MDF for a quick work surface. In a small shop such as ours, these temporary stations are key to getting anything done.
And any new additions to the shop such as a bandsaw should be on a mobile base for easy movement and storage.
And don't forget; a shop is always going to be a work in progress.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Lars Thomas
08-10-2006, 11:26 AM
You can edit the title by clicking Edit Post, then the bottom is labeled 'Advanced' or something to that affect.

Joe Fisher
08-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Joe, before anybody gets busy "rearranging the furniture," is the walk-in door the only access or is there an overhead door that didn't make it onto the drawing?
Mark
Mark,

No, this is the only entry door to the shop. The garage is actually 33x35 and has a gigantic overhead door, but I built the woodshop in the back to separate it from the rest of the stuff. I've also got a separate wood storage room.

-Joe

Don Baer
08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Joe,
I think if you were to move your CMS, work station over to where the Jointer is and then put the jointer and Band saw where the CMS station is it might work better. You might have to either shorten the work bent a tad. That would also free up enough space for another small bench on that wall for your bench vice.

Joe Fisher
08-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Hmmm, ok, what about this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/nostalgia75/Woodwork/workshop2.jpg

I'm a little concerned about the BS getting in the way of long cuts on the TS. I guess I could move it out of the way when I need to.

-Joe

Don Baer
08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I'd leave the TS in the middle as you had it and put the BS closer to the door, rotate it 90 degrees so that it can be used where it is. This way you can make an outfeed, assembly table and even make another bench for the right side of the CMS.

Joe Fisher
08-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I'd leave the TS in the middle as you had it and put the BS closer to the door, rotate it 90 degrees so that it can be used where it is. This way you can make an outfeed, assembly table and even make another bench for the right side of the CMS.
Don,

I agree that is a very practical arrangement, but it lacks dust collection. And the BS generates an awful lot of it. That's really the impetus for this shop rearrangement.

-Joe

Don Baer
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
If you use a wye off of the DC and use blast gates at each machine you can run the dust collection in both directions.