PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Lignum Vitae Pen - Followup Pics

Vaughn McMillan
08-10-2006, 5:12 AM
The subject line says it all...I just turned a lignum pen, and have sanded it up to Micro Mesh 12000. Would you do anything more than buff (White Diamond) and wax (Johnson Paste)? Will a membrane finish even stick to lignum?

[Edited to add...scroll down to post #11 to see how the pen finished up. ;) ]

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-10-2006, 5:43 AM
I used to make training weapons for martial arts out of that stuff, and the only finish I ever got to stick to it was the oil from your hands after a lot of use.

Your mileage may vary :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-10-2006, 1:25 PM
I used to make training weapons for martial arts out of that stuff

Just how long have you been in Japan, anyway, Stu?

BTW: I have always wanted to learn how to use a longsword. Why? So that when the ganster says "Give me all your money!" And I say "Why?" and he says "'Cause I got six inches of steel that says so!", I can say "Really? Well, I'll see your six inches and raise you thirty!"

Mark Cothren
08-10-2006, 1:29 PM
Sorry Vaughn, I have no answer for ya.

I just wanted to tell Henry that he made me think of that old Crocodile Dundee movie...."That's not a knife....THIS is a knife"....:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-10-2006, 1:41 PM
I had a friend who was a SCAdian (member of the Society for Creative Anachronisms, a medieval reinactment group). He was in Columbus one day, a not so friendly part of town, going to his car. A couple of youngish thuggish types walked up to him with their indicative swagger. So, he reached into his jacket.

They reached into theirs.

"Hmm..." thought my friend. He then reached into the back seat of his vehicle, from which he removed a double-headed battleaxe that was taller than he.

The thuggish types put up their hands, turn, and ran for the hills.

Intimidation factor == bonus!

Dario Octaviano
08-10-2006, 2:31 PM
An IAP member just posted an interesting method.

Just as you described he MM it to 12000 and buff it with folded paper towel at max speed. He claims that its natural resin/sap will boil out of the wood and form a slick (durable) finish similar to friction polish but lasts much longer.

I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.

You can read about it here http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16663

Vaughn McMillan
08-10-2006, 3:17 PM
Thanks for the info Dario. I think I'll give that method a spin. I like the idea of not having to apply a finish to a pen.

Similar question...do you guys put a finish on pens made from resin impregnated (stabilized) blanks? So far, I've been finishing them as if they were acrylic (sand with MM and buff) and they shine like glass. I just don't know how long they'll keep the shine. Any advice?

- Vaughn

Mike Vickery
08-10-2006, 4:45 PM
Also this was topic of discussion a while ago at the IAP. Most people seem to put some kind of finish on since stabelized blanks have a tendency to take the stabelizing resin better in some spots that others. FOr example look at how the dye takes great in some spots but not at all in others. I use CA when I turn stabelized wood.

Vaughn McMillan
08-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the extra info, Mike. I need to try doing a CA finish...just need to remember to stop by the hobby shop and pick up a bottle of CA. I'm thinking the little squeeze tubes wouldn't be real cost effective.

- Vaughn

08-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Just how long have you been in Japan, anyway, Stu?

It will be 16 years next week :)

Vaughn McMillan
08-11-2006, 1:43 AM
Following the method suggested in the link Dario provided, I decided to see if I could smoke me some lignum with a paper towel. I started out trying to get enough friction on my big lathe, but it only goes up to 2400 RPM or so, and although the wood got hot, I couldn't get it to boil the resins and let out the smoke. However, my little mini lathe will hit 3200 RPM, and that did the trick. I got real smoke, and saw the resins literally bubbling on the surface of the wood. The lignum vitae really has a unique smell, and it's even stronger when the resins reach the boiling/smoking point. It was a little tricky getting an even sheen, but a little touch-up with 12000 grit Micro Mesh seemed to do the job

Here's a pic showing the finished product, the resinous evidence left on the paper towel, and a little bag of sanding dust from this blank, giving an indication of the color I hope the wood will oxidize to. (LOML wanted a green pen.)

Thanks to Dario for pointing me to this method. (I figured I could learn a thing or two from him when I saw pictures of his work. ;) )

- Vaughn

Dick Strauss
08-11-2006, 2:03 AM
Uh-Oh, you let the smoke out...now it won't work right . Ooops, sorry I was about thinking electronics!

Very nice work Vaughn!!! How is Lignum to work with (turning, sanding, etc.)?

Take care,
Dick

08-11-2006, 4:52 AM
Yep, that looks nice, should last a long time too!

Just don't drop it overboard, it won't float!

Cheers!

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2006, 6:09 AM
Good job Vaughn it turned out nice. I have never turned that before but I knew it could be different to finish. Dario does some beautiful work!

Corey

Dario Octaviano
08-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Vaughn,

All I did was point you to a link...glad it worked OK for you :). That pen looks great! Without any artificial finish, I am sure it will reach the green color in no time...sad part is, it will not stop there. Later (with age) it will get much darker to almost brownish black.

BTW, Thanks guys...you are very generous with your comments :D.

Scott Donley
08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
A great job Vaughn, as always, read somewhere that you can make a magical tea out of the wood chips, don't know about the sawdust :D

Vaughn McMillan
08-11-2006, 1:56 PM
...How is Lignum to work with (turning, sanding, etc.)?

Take care,
Dick
Dick, it turns like buttah. Much easier than the stabilized (and even the natural) burl blanks I've been turning recently. It also sands like buttah, in that it almost instantly clogs the sandpaper, since the wood is so resinous.

- Vaughn