PDA

View Full Version : Clock Pics

Nathan Camp
08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Attached are pics of my first two clocks. One for me, the other a friend asked me to build as a present for his wife.

These were my first attempts at any detailed work.

Red Oak Clock

Brazilian Cherry Clock (Not quite finished yet).

So far, the finish is just tung oil. The flash on the camera makes them look a little lighter:cool: !

Nathan

Vaughn McMillan
08-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Very nice, Nathan. I'm sure they'll both be very appreciated. Is the design yours, or did you use plans? I like the look of Brazilian cherry (aka jotoba), but it can be tricky to work with (in my limited experience). How did you like doing "detailed work"?

- Vaughn

Nathan Camp
08-10-2006, 7:07 AM
I wish I could take credit for the design, but the plans came from a book called "Woodworking, The complete step-by-step guide to skills - techniques - more than 40 projects". That's some long name for a book. It was published by Barnes & Noble Books.

I would give credit to the author, but I can't figure that one out, so I do not know who designed the clock. I like the design, though.

The Jotoba was quite interesting to work with. When I began the second clock, my friend and I went down to pick out wood, and ended up with the Brazilian Cherry. I did not know at that time how much of a challenge it would be. I've learned a great deal.

Pros - The finished Jotoba has a nice grain and when sanded feels like glass.

Cons - Does not like to go across the jointer. Need a new table saw blade (Alright, The blade is only a couple of months old, but it is the cheapie that came with the saw. I needed to replace the blade with a good one in any case).

Both projects have been a lot of fun.

Nathan

John Buzzurro
08-10-2006, 5:38 PM
Nice clocks, Nathan. Looks like the Brazilian Cherry was worth the extra effort. Where did you purchase the clock movements?

Brett Baldwin
08-10-2006, 5:59 PM
Those would look great on any mantle. Nice job Nathan.

Nathan Camp
08-10-2006, 7:39 PM
Nice clocks, Nathan. Looks like the Brazilian Cherry was worth the extra effort. Where did you purchase the clock movements?

Thanks for the complements.

The clock faces came from Klockit. Only place that I could find a square 6" face.

The movements and hands I got locally at the local Woodcraft store.

I believe that the Brazilian Cherry was worth the work. I like how it looks. It held the glue (Tightbond II) much better than I expected after reading some comments on-line. The funny thing is now Oak seems soft!:D

Nathan Camp

Bob Noles
08-10-2006, 9:28 PM
Excellent work for a Georgia boy, Nathan :D

I really like the way it turned out. I have been collecting thoughts for some small projects and seeing your post was most timely. It sure has Christmas present written all over it :p

Thanks for sharing with us.

Nathan Camp
08-11-2006, 9:23 PM
Though I'd post a couple of pictures of the finished clock.

Glad to be finished with it.

Nathan