PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Peacock - A Great Guy!!!

Barry Stratton
08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I made a run to the airport late last night to meet a coworker of Dennis, whom he'd convinced to bring a chunk of turning wood for me. I was amazed at the hunk of sealed green cherry she pulled out of her carry on, and was glad I'd thought to grab a pen to give to her for her delivery service.

As I was profusely thanking her, she said wait, I've got a bowl for you in my suitcase. I was FLOORED when she handed me this incredible elm bowl

complete with signature

I have seen many round wood objects but can honestly say I have NEVER held any wood turning in my hands that compare to the flawless beauty of this bowl.

THANK YOU Dennis - for your unselfish kindness!!! This Creek is an amazing, powerful place because of folks like you.

Corey Hallagan
08-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey way to go there Barry, looks like a nice piece of wood and you got yourself a nice Peacock orignal. that had to look strange in the middle of an airport.... I can hear security now.... " there's a bowl deal going down on the upper concourse" :)

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Nice gloat Barry! Yup! He's first class in my book! I've got a twin to your bowl but it's black cherry IIRC!

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Just think Barry your kids will have a priceless Peacock bowl. It will be worth ..... well who knows by then. Priceless. Great gloat. Happy for ya Barry. Now let us see you duplicate that bowl with that nice blank you got.:eek: :D :p

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Just think Barry your kids will have a priceless Peacock bowl. It will be worth ..... well who knows by then. Priceless. Great gloat. Happy for ya Barry. Now let us see you duplicate that bowl with that nice blank you got.:eek: :D :p

Ya Barry, and NO PRESSURE at all............. ;) :D

Kudos Dennis, you are one of the good ones!

Cheers!

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2006, 1:42 AM
Thanks for the very kind words there Berry. :D

I figured that you could try your hand at some black cherry since I wasn't sure if it grew at all in your neck of the woods. Terri is a great gal and he's an excellent co-worker besides.

I chose the Elm to finish turn you a bowl because the LOML says that she really likes the "nervous grain" in the wood. :rolleyes: ;) She said that she'd like to keep the bowl, but I reminded her that she already has a house full of bowls on display, and that THIS bowl was going to Alaska to my friend Barry.:D Elm to me, requires extreme patience when finish sanding the bowl because it shows marks in the wood that you think you will NEVER get sanded clean and clear. That's a no-frills oil finish, 3 coats to be exact and then buffed with a light coat of carnuba wax for extra protection.

Any way, I'm very glad that you got the cherry blank as well as the bowl. Now you have a nice kick start of a turning collection from your fellow SMC members to put on display in your home. I know that the ones that I have here in my home are my pride and joy items. :D :D

Doug Jones
08-10-2006, 3:19 AM
Dennis and Mark are two of the fellers I would most like to meet, if'in I ever make it westward. They are good people.

Mark Cothren
08-10-2006, 7:34 AM
Way to go Barry (and Dennis)! Black Cherry is probably my favorite wood to turn. Can't wait to see pics of what you do with it.

Doug - you're welcome anytime! Just come on down!

Keith Burns
08-10-2006, 8:37 AM
Great gloat Barry !! That black cherry is some nice wood. I'll tell ya one thing for sure, you won't find a better guy than Dennis anywhere ! Can't wait to see what you do with that hunk of cherry.

Mark Cothren
08-10-2006, 8:48 AM
Keith, that was some of your Cherry that just went to Alaska... only 1 or 2 pieces left...;)

Keith Burns
08-10-2006, 9:27 AM
Keith, that was some of your Cherry that just went to Alaska... only 1 or 2 pieces left...;)

:eek: Aw, man....................

Barry Stratton
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Right, "no pressure" at all:eek:

If you don't mind Dennis, what grit did you sand it thru? This bowl is like glass. I figured you used oil as the nervous grain is so 3D, but, man....did i say this thing is as smooth as glass????

And the cherry is Keith Burns cherry??? Does that mean I have to cut it into 10,000 pieces and glue them all back to gether leaving a bunch of holes?????? Or can I just take it to the range and punch holes in it with he rifle and pistols???

Thank you again Dennis....someday I'll repay your kindness but I gotta take care of Ernie's first........

George Conklin
08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
This is just what we come to expect from the members of this forum.

Way to go, Dennis:) .

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2006, 7:36 PM
Barry,

It's sanded through 600 grit, applied 1 coat of oil, let dry for 24 hours, applied more oil, sanded while the oil was wet and fresh on the bowl with more 600 grit paper (wet/dry kind) but not too much sanding, wipped off the excess, let dry 24 hours, wipe on another coat of oil, let dry 24 hours, buff.

So there you have the short of it.:D

Right, "no pressure" at all:eek:

If you don't mind Dennis, what grit did you sand it thru? This bowl is like glass. I figured you used oil as the nervous grain is so 3D, but, man....did i say this thing is as smooth as glass????

And the cherry is Keith Burns cherry??? Does that mean I have to cut it into 10,000 pieces and glue them all back to gether leaving a bunch of holes?????? Or can I just take it to the range and punch holes in it with he rifle and pistols???

Thank you again Dennis....someday I'll repay your kindness but I gotta take care of Ernie's first........