PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw decision down to two. Final question?

Alan Tolchinsky
09-30-2003, 7:31 PM
Thanks for all your help so far. I've narrowed it down to the Makita 10 slider and the Hitachi 10 slider with laser. Here's what makes it tough. The Hitachi with slider and laser is $20 less than the Makita and it looks like a nice saw. They look pretty comparable with some minor differences. No, I don't have to have a laser but the Hitachi makes getting one of these a freebie. Can anybody with these saws give me a push off the fence? Thanks Alan in Md.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-30-2003, 7:34 PM
Thanks again for any help. Alan

Terry Hatfield
09-30-2003, 7:45 PM
Alan,

I have had the Hitachi for a few months now. I am totally impressed with it. Dead on accurate right out of the box. Super smooth, accurate and I really do like the laser. I though it was just a gimmick when I first bought the saw, but the more I use it, the more I like it.

There is really not a bad choice between the Makita and the Hitachi. Both get good reviews. Does blue or green match you shop better? :D

Terry

Ken Garlock
09-30-2003, 7:49 PM
Hi Alan. I'll try to be unbiased this time :)

From the pictures, it appears that the Hitachi uses a belt drive between the motor and the blade. I have misplaced my instruction manual for the L1013, but I think the Mikita is a direct drive. Maybe someone can verify that.... To me, a belt drive is one more thing to maintain. As I recall, one of our Arkansas "creekers" bought the Hitachi saw a month or two a go, maybe they will chime in and give their opinion. It might have been Terry Hatfield, but I am not sure.

I am sure that either one will serve you very well, but of course you already know my choice. ;)

Jamie Buxton
09-30-2003, 8:01 PM
I've got the previous Hitachi, the C10FS. I've had it for four or five years, and installed lots of trim with it. If it got stolen, I'd go buy another without even shopping the competition. There aren't many tools I own like that.

Phil Phelps
09-30-2003, 8:13 PM
Years ago, Hatchi was the best and most accurate saw of the bunch. Makita is a great saw. Ken didn't like the laser part of it. I'll tell ya this much, I like 'em. It's quick to set on your mark. You can't go wrong with either. Now go make a saw station :cool:

Bill Esposito
09-30-2003, 8:52 PM
Alan,

Just looking at the pictures I like the motor position of the Hitachi better. Even though the Makita's tilted it will get in the way if you have to clamp on that side etc. No experience with either saw.

Ken Garlock
09-30-2003, 8:58 PM
the StableMate miter saw stand at Home Depot or Amazon. For $100 you get the same function that the other turkeys are charging $250 for. Take a look at Amazon, and then check it out in person. It is a good stable stand which folds up for easy transport. I got mine just after I bought my L1013, it is a fine stand, IMO.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Alan,

I have had the Hitachi for a few months now. I am totally impressed with it. Dead on accurate right out of the box. Super smooth, accurate and I really do like the laser. I though it was just a gimmick when I first bought the saw, but the more I use it, the more I like it.

There is really not a bad choice between the Makita and the Hitachi. Both get good reviews. Does blue or green match you shop better? :D

Terry
sdsdsdsddddsdsdsdsdss

Jason Roehl
09-30-2003, 11:24 PM
Ahhh, but here's what belt-drive vs. direct drive gets you on a miter saw: more cutting height. Maybe not much, but at some point you may need it. I like the belt drive on my DW708 (even if it's out of your running). I can cut material at least 4-7/8" thick, more if I fudge it (read: take off the side shield).

Alan Tolchinsky
09-30-2003, 11:48 PM
Ken, Thanks for the info. on the miter stand. Man these things are so hard to check out at the big box stores. Either they don't have them on display or they're broken. The Hitachi I saw at Lowes had the handle broken off as if it were dropped on the ground. O.k. I'm going to check out that stand at Amazon now. Alan

the StableMate miter saw stand at Home Depot or Amazon. For $100 you get the same function that the other turkeys are charging $250 for. Take a look at Amazon, and then check it out in person. It is a good stable stand which folds up for easy transport. I got mine just after I bought my L1013, it is a fine stand, IMO.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-30-2003, 11:50 PM
I've got the previous Hitachi, the C10FS. I've had it for four or five years, and installed lots of trim with it. If it got stolen, I'd go buy another without even shopping the competition. There aren't many tools I own like that.
sfadfsadfadsfafdsf

Alan Tolchinsky
10-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Alan,

Just looking at the pictures I like the motor position of the Hitachi better. Even though the Makita's tilted it will get in the way if you have to clamp on that side etc. No experience with either saw.

the same tools. I also have the Shop Fox Mortiser and Delta DC. I like them both. I like the sandpaper caddy you made; good idea. Alan

Howard Barlow
10-01-2003, 12:41 AM
If I had it to do over, I would buy the Ridgid stand instead of the Delta.

Rob Russell
10-01-2003, 7:49 AM
Looking at the pix of the 2 saws, the Hitachi has a "scoop" hanging down from its dust chute inlet which should help catch more of the stuff flying off of the blade. Dewalt provided a retrofit for my 708 that looks similar.

Dan Smith
10-01-2003, 8:37 AM
Not to highjack, but since it was mentioned, I also have the Stablemate tool stand. I got the one with the wheels, which I think is a little more money, but seemed more rugged. Works great for me, was easy to set up, and holds my bosch 10" SCMS steady in every position.

-dan

Derek Arita
10-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Just a couple of things to consider. The table on the Makita is larger and more substantial. The laser on the Hitachi is a single laser. That means, if you cut on the mark on the opposite side kerf, then you have to readjust the laser to that side of the kerf. With a twin laser, like the PC, you don't have to do that. The Makita is heavier and may have an effect on the sturdiness and cut quality of the machine. My .02

Scott Coffelt
10-01-2003, 12:43 PM
but, first let me say I own a Dewalt, have you looked at the General? One heck of a saw, but no laser. Seems to have awesome DC and a well built machine. Just a thought.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-01-2003, 4:40 PM
Thanks for all your help so far. I've narrowed it down to the Makita 10 slider and the Hitachi 10 slider with laser. Here's what makes it tough. The Hitachi with slider and laser is $20 less than the Makita and it looks like a nice saw. They look pretty comparable with some minor differences. No, I don't have to have a laser but the Hitachi makes getting one of these a freebie. Can anybody with these saws give me a push off the fence? Thanks Alan in Md.

I decided on the Hitachi. Even though it has a smaller table than the Makita, I think it will be fine when I build my miter station. I like the feel of the sliding mechanism and the way it mounts to the base. It's very beefy around the slides and looks very solid. So I got the best of both worlds: a 10" SCMS with a laser. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it. Thanks for all your help on this. Alan