PDA

View Full Version : Festool Sander RO150FEQ

Hoa Dinh
08-09-2006, 4:16 PM
Looking for something more aggressive than my PC333VS, but more "civilized" than my PC352VS, and after trying out the Ridgid ROS2610 (see this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39403)), I decided to bite the bullet and pre-ordered the new Festool RO150FEQ. Bob Marino took care of my order promptly.

It got here yesterday and I tried it out last night, sanding the drawer fronts for a captain bed I'm building. I can now declare the RO150 is a keeper :) .

Dust collection is as good as it can get. I hook it up to a Fein Mini-Turbo with a Craftsman auto switch plugged in a 120V, 20A outlet. The dust port on the sander is round, 1" outside diameter, same size as the dust port on the PC333VS. The PC vacuum hose fits perfectly (so does a Fein step-down adapter). There is no dust in the air.

In terms of noise, the RO150 is a bit louder than the PC333VS, about as loud as the ROS2610 (no, I don't want to compare anything to the PC352VS ;) ).

But it is smooooth. Even with the Mini-Turbo at full speed, the RO150 is very easy to control. In fine-sanding mode, I don't need the front handle. In coarse-sanding mode, the front handle helps significantly. Interestingly, I feel more vibration from the front handle more than from the main body handle. Note that the main reason I returned the ROS2610 is its jerkiness when connected to a shop vac.

I don't have any other Festool tool (yet :D ), but I can see the benefit of the removable power cord from the sander. If I need to use another Festool tool with dust collection, I can just unplug the power cord and the dust hose from one tool and plug them in the other - very convenient.

Since I spent a significant amount of changes on the RO150, I think I'm entitled to some nit-picking :D

1. The user's manual is adequate, but not as detailed nor of high quality as the ones from PC or Ridgid. The section on "Sanding motion" has a (correct) picture of the RO150FEQ, but the (incorrect) wording is lifted from the manual of the old RO150E.

2. The body of the sander feels warm after a few minutes of operation - not untouchable, but warmer than any handheld sander I've used. To make sure it is normal, I sand continuously for 30 minutes. The sander does not get warmer and there is no problem.

All in all, the RO150FEQ is highly recommended, as is Bob Marino's service.

Frank Pellow
08-09-2006, 5:09 PM
I don't see a picture so I can only assume that you must have dreamed that you have Festool's new Rotex sander. :p

glenn bradley
08-09-2006, 6:19 PM
I see a little green smiley face but no little green sander????

Jim Becker
08-09-2006, 6:22 PM
Welcome to the Festool party, Hoa! Good stuff...and yea, the Rotex is a winner. (As are the other sanders) Good sanding AND little or no vibration. That last part was very important to me.

Jesse Cloud
08-09-2006, 7:38 PM
Try the TS55 plunge circular saw, you might start collecting rust on your unisaw:rolleyes: .

Chris Padilla
08-09-2006, 7:50 PM
Try the TS55 plunge circular saw, you might start collecting rust on your unisaw:rolleyes: .

Well, he better posts some PIXS of it or we won't believe that "tall tale" neither!

Since when did a :D get you out of a real pic??? :mad:

:D :D :D Welcome to the Big Green F club, Hoa...cause there sure won't be much green left in the bank! :eek:

Uncle Bob is the Man! He takes care of all my needs, too! :)

Chris Dodge
08-09-2006, 8:14 PM
Got one today too. Will post pictures when I get home tonight...hopefully.