PDA

View Full Version : PSI utility chuck

Bob Hallowell
08-09-2006, 2:30 PM
I am new to turning. Been a woodworker for a while. I bought an used grizzly lathe and want to get a chuck for bowls, I have been looking around at the different chucks and all the prices. Would psi utility grip work well enough it has 4 self centering jaws and you can get all the extra's their more expensive ones have. Or am I wasting my money should I hold off for a one way.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2006, 6:43 PM
Bob I bought the PSI chuck and am well satisfied with it. In fact I find myself reaching for it most times. The only thing that bothered me was I bought one from Grizzly and found out it was the same one for $42.50 or half the price of PSI.

Corey Hallagan
08-09-2006, 7:07 PM
I have the Grizzly 42.50 one. Worked well after I figured out how to do a proper tennon!

corey

Don Baer
08-09-2006, 7:34 PM
I have the Oneway and love it. IT does cost a lot more then the Grizzely but I don't buy mail order. So I guess I end up paying a premium.

Corey Hallagan
08-09-2006, 8:32 PM
I also bought the Nova Midi chuck and it works great as well. Nice to have a couple chucks.

corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-09-2006, 9:04 PM
I've got the $42 Grizzly chuck, and it works fine, but I also have the Nova G3 chuck, and it is so much better than the $42 chuck.

If money is tight, you will get a lot of use out of the $42 Grizzly chuck for sure.

Cheers!

Bob Hallowell
08-09-2006, 9:05 PM
looks like a grizzly might be on the way. Please excuse me I don't know much about my lathe, I turned some chisel handels and carvers mallet. The LOML wants to learn to turn bowls and we are thinking on driving 2 hours to pittsburg to the woodcraft on the 27th cause they are giving free greenwood bowl lessons.

If I buy the grizzly can I still buy the flat jaws from psi to hold the outside of the bowl?

Bob

Stephen Hibbs
08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, if the claim that the girzzly and the psi chuck are the same is true, then yes, the jaws should fit it. I have a grizzly and quite like it. Far faster and less wasteful than faceplates, and just as safe with harder woods. You could also do what I did, and instead of buying flat jaws, make a donut chuck. A quick search should find a couple of examples on the forum, and there's a good how-to online that I used.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, donut chucks are easy to make and they can hold a lot of different bowls, I used one this morning to finish off that "Thicker" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40937) bowl for my wife's B-day tomorrow....

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Bob just buy a extra faceplate and make some donut chucks. I made mine and made several different size donuts. I have them that will hold bowls from 4" to 13" bowls. I think minus the faceplate I have about $7 in them. Made them out of 1/2" MDF.