PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Tools? Pics??

Ed Breen
08-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, here I am again but this time I will show the pics.

The First one was picked up for $3.00 at a flea market.

The second set was bought on the _______auction.
What are they? The first one does a fair job as a scraper.

skip coyne
08-09-2006, 1:00 PM
used for lead bodywork before the days of bondo ,I think

(hope I got that comma right :D )

Doug Littlejohn
08-09-2006, 3:42 PM
looks alot like a batch of tools I got once out of a bunch of boxes of tools I picked up. Turns out they were craftsman made turning chisels. I must have had 50-75 of the things. Many of mine were duplicates (as close as hand made could muster).

Should work real well for very small turnings and profiles. Mine were made from files, how about yours??

Sherwood

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 3:52 PM
I think Skip nailed it: lead bodywork tools. Saw some of that on 'American Hotrod' Monday night.

Definitely not turning tools: the handles and tangs are all wrong.

Ed Breen
08-09-2006, 5:11 PM
Good enough.
Sherwood, the first one has worked well on a couple of turnings as a scraper/skew. i'm going to build handles for the others so I can keep them boxed. If I have to do any body work I guess I'm prpared. I looked up the Mound Tool Co. and they manufacture meat cutting knives, trolleys for carcases and other items for the butchering trade.
Ed

I just found the reference. They are used in turning babbitt bearings for old machines etc. that have those bearings.
They work on wood also.
Ed

Robert E Lee
08-11-2006, 2:50 AM
I have used some that looked a lot like those to scrape poured Babbitt bearings. Long ago in another life.
Bob