PDA

View Full Version : NOVA DVR 3000 owners HELP!!!!!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
I dunno what I did, but I seemed to have screwed up the locking pin in the DVR, I think it came out too far or something.

I fired an e-mail off to the Teknatool guys, but I thought I'd ask here, as some of you have this lathe......

Everything was bopping along fine, then I went to loosen the headstock to swivel it back to normal, and the lock pin would only rotate about 1/8th of a turn, if that............:confused::confused:

The head would swivel, but just, then when I went to lock it back in place, the lock pin would only tighten by 1/8th of a turn...?

Here are some pics of the lock pin, I took the lathe off the stand and turned it over, I sprayed lube on everything (it was well lubed) and took these pics...........

from inside and underneath

From the outside.

So, like I said, it looks like I loosened the locking pin out too much, my bad, but now what do I do?

I guess the locking pin taper is not lined up to the tapered hole, to line it up, I would think I'd have to remove the locking pin, but either loosening or tightening it more than 1/8th of a turn is NOT a good feeling, it feels like I'm going to bust something, and that operating bar is flexing a lot while doing this, and that bar is NOT soft stuff..........

Scared poohless I'm going to bugger up my lathe.......... :(

HELP!!

08-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Well I found out what happened.............

I got the pin lock thing out, and found some stripped threads, now how the heck did that happen?

I cleaned the threads up with a file and put it back together, it seems to work fine...............

Don Baer
08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Weew, Glad you got it fixed. I was thinking you were in for a real problem. good going stu on findin and fixn the problem. I'd probubly chase those threads with a tap if I had one that fits.

08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Weew, Glad you got it fixed. I was thinking you were in for a real problem. good going stu on findin and fixn the problem. I'd probubly chase those threads with a tap if I had one that fits.

I don't, I'll have to contact Teknatools and find out the thread size, as I want to make sure this don't happen again, any time soon.

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
08-10-2006, 12:55 AM
And blow out the hole it threads into very thoroughly: looks like it pulled some debris up into the threads when it was loosened at some point.

08-10-2006, 3:15 AM
And blow out the hole it threads into very thoroughly: looks like it pulled some debris up into the threads when it was loosened at some point.

Yep, did that, and I have a brass round brush, like for cleaning out a rifle barrel, ran that through the hole spinning it with some WD40 and then some lube.

Seems to be working fine.............

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2006, 3:39 PM
Stu you be the man. I definately get a new one of those to have on hand. Glad to see you got it going.