PDA

View Full Version : Mate for Sycamore?

Jeff Horton
08-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Found a source for quarter sawn sycamore. I have a desk plan I have been looking at for a long time that used high figured exotic flat panels. I think the sycamore would be a good choice for these panels.

Question is what would be a good complimenting wood? Something that would look good with it but not too much contrast. It may be a year before I attempt this but just thinking about it now.

Martin Lutz
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Jeff, I have some sycamore also and in thinking about it I think cherry would look great. even better with time.

john whittaker
08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Jeff, IMHO Cherry or Mahogany would be a good contrast but not too dark...Do a search and find Jim Tobias's table in which he used sycamore & mahogany. Looked great together.

John Branam
08-09-2006, 10:35 AM
I built a clock out of qs sycamore and walnut, I wanted a real stark contrast it turned out well. I really like the look of qs sycamore.

George Leicht
08-09-2006, 3:22 PM
Another vote for cherry. I was at a yard the other day buying something else, and got what I consider a really good price on some quartersawn sycamore and cherry. Now I need to think of something to make with it.
George

jerry cousins
08-09-2006, 5:48 PM
try some jatoba.

jerry

Jeff Horton
08-09-2006, 6:23 PM
I have enough walnut in the shop to probably build the desk but I think that it is to much contrast for the dek. Maybe ins something smaller?

I was thinking mahogany or cherry. I have a good source for black cherry with is red, nothing like the cherry that comes from the North. (At least that we get). I was kind of thinking Cherry might be a good choice.