PDA

View Full Version : Forrest scored big points with the LOML!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2006, 12:16 AM
After that disgusting pepper grinder attempt over the weekend...I decided to get back on that bronc and ride it!

I looked around for something to turn......a piece of box elder given to me by Forrest Price.....Hmmmm................So Monday evening.....I turned and finished the pepper grinder.....Tonight the salt shaker. The 2nd piece of box elder was such that I elected not to try to match the figure of the 1st......

Box elder salt shaker and pepper grinder.....finish....Just Beal buffed! This was the 1st time I'd turned box elder....turned like butter!......the LOML loves the color.....unfortunately the photo doesn't do the wood justice. I really need to get a new camera!

Corey Hallagan
08-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Hey Ken, those look great! Nice job, I like that alot. Something I have on my list to do for a holiday gift!

Corey

Cecil Arnold
08-09-2006, 12:36 AM
They look great Ken.

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Looks good there Ken....don't ya just LOVE those colors in boxelder? :D

Forrest Price
08-09-2006, 1:11 AM
Excellent Ken! Really glad it worked out for you.
Some of those are on my "Things to do list" as well!

"Turned" out great! Good job. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-09-2006, 1:33 AM
Sure glad you turning skills are better than you photography skills :D ;) :D:D

Nice work, good to make something that can be used everyday.

I wanted to make a set, but my lovely wife vetoed the idea, we have these glass ones from Ikea, they have ceramic grinders in them, well we have like a dozen of them, all kinds of spices in there, and they are a matching set of sorts, so to mess with the set, I got the horn on that idea.... :(

Oh well.

What set of hardware did you use? How was it?

I still could make some as presents, as I think most people will get sick of pens :rolleyes: :D

Again, nice job Ken, good to see you getting right back on and have a go!

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2006, 9:06 AM
Stu,

I got the stainless steel set from Woodcraft.

The gotcha is all the different drill bits you need and you need to make a friction chuck! Make that one too big and you can split walnut! DAMHIKT...

Mark Cothren
08-09-2006, 9:06 AM
Nice work, Ken - looks like a great set! Way to stick with it!

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2006, 9:41 AM
Ken those are some good looking pieces. Ya did a nice job. Way to stay with it.

Chris Barton
08-09-2006, 9:45 AM
Great successes in these Ken. I haven't done grinders yet, any special tips?

Ron Jones near Indy
08-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Looks really great Ken! I've got a couple of promised flat jobs to complete. Then I'm going to have to try some round projects.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Chris.......I ran into some problems getting the multiple sized holes to be concentric.. Just this morning it dawned on me that I need to make a different design for the friction chuck. The one I was using relied upon me to realign it each time I mounted it. The next one I make will have a turned shoulder to rest against the jaws of my chuck and hopefully getting the same alignment each time...similar to having the jaws of your chuck setting against the shoulder of the tenon on the bottom of the bowl. The other gotcha is making the tenon on the friction chuck(I hope that's the right term...friction chuck) the corrrect diameter. It must be a tight enough fit to allow you to turn and drill the blank but not so tight that you break or damage the piece getting it off!

It's been several months since I've turned any spindle turnings and I've lost some of the skills I had earlier. I need to get some scrap wood and practice!

George Conklin
08-09-2006, 11:46 AM
After that disgusting pepper grinder attempt over the weekend...I decided to get back on that bronc and ride it!

I'm with you, Ken. I hate it when a project beats me:mad: . I'll walk away, stew over it until I come up with a new plan of attack and then try it again. Then when it beats me again, I start the whole process over again:o .

Keith Burns
08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Great job on these Ken :) :) Glad you didn't quit or give up !!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Lookin' Good there, Ken.

Bruce

Forrest Price
08-09-2006, 12:45 PM
...I need to get some scrap wood and practice!

Hey Ken, why don't you stop by around Noon or so and go thru my boxes of blanks and pick out some pieces. Would be happy to get you some more pieces.

Give me a call.
Forrest

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-09-2006, 7:43 PM
Ken, they look very nice. If that's your rusty spindle skills, I'll really be oohing and aahing when they get cleaned and honed again.

On the matter of a new camera: You can get good units in the 5MP range for less than $200 these days. If I had the cash, however, I'd spring for one of the newer SLR units. I was over at circuit city today drooling over an 8MP unit with two zoom lenses that was priced at something like $900...