PDA

View Full Version : First cuts with the new BS

Joe Fisher
08-08-2006, 11:03 PM
So I wrestled the MiniMax into the shop, wired the plug, got the blade in place and tensioned, adjusted the cool Euro guides, and hit the switch.

Whiiiirrrrrr...Vibration? What vibration? I'll have to try the dime test tomorrow ;)

I ransacked the shop for some things to put through it. Oak and maple boards? Sure!

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/mm/mm_resaw.jpg

That veneer is 0.050 thick, with 0.005 variation. No drift, easy as pie. I've read that people do this kind of thing on their saws, but I'm still amazed.

Then I made a quick sled for a locust log and made some tool handle blanks:

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/mm/mm_locust.jpg

I'm happy :)

The whole story here:

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/mm.php

-Joe

Roy Wall
08-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Joe -

Congrats on the smooth running machine......:)

THose veneers look great!

MM should get your replacement parts ASAP......they have good service.

tod evans
08-09-2006, 8:01 AM
joe, congratulations on your saw! here`s how to store the johnson bar...02 tod

Joe Fisher
08-09-2006, 8:23 AM

D'oh! When I tried that, the bar stuck way out from the back of the saw. I was sticking the nose down into the hole. When I put the bar like it is in your pic, the nose just barely grabs the edge of the hole. You don't have any problems with it falling down, I assume?

-Joe

tod evans
08-09-2006, 8:33 AM
D'oh! When I tried that, the bar stuck way out from the back of the saw. I was sticking the nose down into the hole. When I put the bar like it is in your pic, the nose just barely grabs the edge of the hole. You don't have any problems with it falling down, I assume?

-Joe

haven`t in 4 yrs? but it might tomorrow:rolleyes: . isn`t it cool to shove 10" hardwood at the saw and not even make it grunt? tod

Joe Fisher
08-09-2006, 9:29 AM
Cool? It's insane. The bansdaw I've been using is a 1970's vintage, 12" Craftsman with a tired 1/2hp motor. To say it's an upgrade is the understatement of the year.

I brought my veneers into work :)

-Joe

Bart Leetch
08-09-2006, 11:45 AM
. isn`t it cool to shove 10" hardwood at the saw and not even make it grunt? tod

Heck I do that with my Grizzly G1019 with a 1/2" TW blade anytime I want to. Of course I put a 1 1/2 HP motor on it. Heck I can't even compare this saw to your saw not even in the same ball park. But I can round out a bowl blank like this with ease. Next will be a bigger table & shop made fence.

My shop is to small for a saw as big as yours.

So we all make do with the best we have.

Congratulations on your wunnerful saws gentleman.

Joe Fisher
08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Heck I do that with my Grizzly G1019 with a 1/2" TW blade anytime I want to. Of course I put a 1 1/2 HP motor on it. Heck I can't even compare this saw to your saw not even in the same ball park. But I can round out a bowl blank like this with ease. Next will be a bigger table & shop made fence.

My shop is to small for a saw as big as yours.

So we all make do with the best we have.

Congratulations on your wunnerful saws gentleman.
Hey, that's cheating. You used a log with no middle! :D

No disrespect to your saw. A tool's a tool, and if it does the job, it's the right one. Enjoy :)

-Joe

glenn bradley
08-09-2006, 2:49 PM
A well made tool is a joy forever. :D :D :D

Brad Schmid
08-09-2006, 4:24 PM
Congrats on the saw Joe! If you like it for veneers with a stock blade, wait til you try a Lennox Trimaster;)

Joe Fisher
08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
THanks all :) I used it to cut out a 6" thick x 16" diameter bowl blank out of wet sycamore today, and it the motor didn't even change pitch.

Unbelievable.

-Joe

Joe Fisher
08-29-2006, 3:09 PM
Just thought I'd let y'all know, I've updated my page to be a review of the MM16.

Enjoy!

-Joe

Dan Lee
08-29-2006, 7:07 PM
Hey Joe
Nice review. Mine has become probably my favorite tool in the shop.
The thing about the door opening is easily taken care of (atleast on my 2 yr old MM16) by removing the wheel on the doorside. Just remove the clip and slide the wheel off, install blade put wheel back on. Ya gotta have the saw up on the levelers for the wheels to slide on and off though. Another thing I did was put larger wheels on makes moving around smoother.

Dan

Corey Hallagan
08-29-2006, 8:45 PM
Nice and congrats. I wish I had room for a good bandsaw. maybe someday! Enjoy.

Corey

Jim Becker
08-29-2006, 10:08 PM
'Glad you're happy with your MM16, Joe. I know I am with mine every time I fire it up!

Joe Fisher
08-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks, all. I really do love the saw. The minor gripes disappear as soon as I start running wood through it :) I'm glad I bucked up and didn't settle on a smaller saw.

-Joe

Frank Fusco
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM

OK, if I knew what I was looking at, it would help.
Wassajohnsonbar?

Cecil Arnold
08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
The place where Johnson drinks? It is a bar that gives you a very good mechanical advantage in moving something. Used on the MM to lift the front and roll that heavy sucker around. Interestingly enough a Johnson bar was also used on early Mooney aircraft to raise and lower the landing gear.

Joe Fisher
11-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Thought you might like to know, I just updated my review on the MM16:

It turns out my trouble with the mobility kit were partly my fault :o

I've been having a lot of fun with the saw. The power is incredible.

-Joe

John Renzetti
11-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi Joe, Congratulatons, great score on the MM16. That is a fine bandsaw. You'll get years of great use from it.
Nice website and pictures of your work. I like the bowls.
Mobility kits from a number of manufacturers do seem to be the weak link. I've pretty much put my machines that need to be moved on these footed casters called the Carrymaster from Zambus (just add a .com for the website). I've got them on 4 machines now weighing from 500 to 1000lbs. No bar needed.
take care,
John