PDA

View Full Version : Router Micro Fence

Jim Harsha
09-30-2003, 2:25 AM
Anybody had any experience with the Micro Fence that Woodworkers Supply (and probably others) sells. Looks well made and very adjustable. All opinions welcomed. Thanks

Steve Clardy
09-30-2003, 9:58 AM
I bought one for my PC trim router. Have used it a couple of times. You have to buy a base to fit your brand of router when you purchase the router, which adds to the price. MIne was around 140.00, 150.00 if I remember. Though it is expensive, it is well made and very usuable. I have a factory pc edge guide also, and it is virtually unusable for most everything.
After you purchase the fence, and you need to use it on a different brand or size of router, all you have to do is buy the correct base.
Steve

Ted Shrader
09-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Jim -

I have the Porter Cable micro adjust that came with my routers. Very handy and a lot easier to use than the one that came with my Bosch router.

The Bosch has two rods and thumb screws. Slide the fence into position and tighten the thumb screws - very hard to make small adjustments from there. Many basic router fences work just the same. On the other hand, with the micro-adjust types, this problem doesn't exist.

Can you get by with the basic fence? - Yes. But the micro adjust feature is so much nicer. Your bang-for-the-buck priorities may be different.

Ted

Alan Turner
09-30-2003, 3:37 PM
Anybody had any experience with the Micro Fence that Woodworkers Supply (and probably others) sells. Looks well made and very adjustable. All opinions welcomed. Thanks

I bought mine from the company itself (my preferred way of doing things so that the profit goes where it belongs) after I saw the owner demo it at a show In Nov, 2 years ago. Thought about it, and ordered it, along with extra screws so that the face plate could be changed out often, and to different sizes. It is great. I have used it primarily for hogging out most of the waste for the pins in 1/2 blind dovetails. It gives a very precise inner surface agaisnt which the drawer side registers. It is only on half blinds that I use a router at all. The co. is good people.