PDA

View Full Version : White Top Burl HF

Keith Burns
08-08-2006, 8:27 PM
I posted a bowl a couple of weeks ago using a White Top Burl as a John Hart Prop. This is what I got out of that burl. It measures 6-1/2" diameter by 3-1/8" tall. I left a small foot, 1-1/2" dia. to give some lift. I used my new laser set up ad was able to acheive about 1/8" walls. I also choose to use an ebony collar. I also took one pic with a light inside to try and show the amount of voids in the piece. Please give me your honest critique and as always thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2006, 8:41 PM
Sorry Keith don't see anything to critique. That is beautiful. I like the collar, form and finish. Nice job.

Dick Parr
08-08-2006, 8:54 PM
That is a real beauty Keith, other then a bunch of holes in it I don't see anything else wrong with it. Very nicely done.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2006, 9:20 PM
Keith........the first words/thoughts out of my mouth I can't put on this forum! Absolutely stunning! I don't know where you Southern Boys come up with this gorgeous wood and the talent to bring out the maximum beauty in the wood! WOW!

Curt Fuller
08-08-2006, 9:36 PM
That's a beauty Keith! I've never heard of 'White Top'. Is that a type of wood/tree? Whatever it is, it sure turned out nice.

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2006, 9:39 PM
Wow, that is just way cool Keith. Never seen a piece of wood like that. Awesome stuff!

Corey

Travis Stinson
08-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Keith, that's an astounding piece of wood and the finished piece is just as impressive. The collar fits this form perfectly! I could look at this one for hours admiring it.:cool:

Barry Stratton
08-08-2006, 10:43 PM
An Honest Critique, eh? Okay, here's my newbie perspective:

Perfect shape,

Perfect finish,

The collar contrast and compliments at the same time,

It makes you want to touch it.

Attaboy Keith!

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2006, 1:03 AM
Wozers Keith..!!!!!!!! That's plum-purdy!!!!!! That wood is so highly figured that it even covers up all your tool marks. :eek: :p :rolleyes:

Vaughn McMillan
08-09-2006, 1:49 AM
I'm with Ken on this...the TOS doesn't allow me to type what I'm saying. Gorgeous piece of wood, and you did a great job finding that beautiful HF hiding inside.

My only critique is that it wouldn't hold water worth a darn. Do you Southern guys ever make anything out of solid wood? :p :D

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-09-2006, 1:50 AM
What a totally cool piece you have created, really nice.

Critique, well if you let me, with my limited experience, and lack of portfolio on any website anywhere have an unedumicted go I'd say..........

...the "Light inside" pic would be better, more dramatic if you darkened the room more.....

The collar, hmm..... the really dramatic point of this piece is the way the wood just seems to not stand still, if you look at it in the various pictures, it almost looks like it is made up of a bunch of small bits that are almost in motion, I just love that about this piece of wood and the way you have done the form and shape is, well..... Wow!

Like someone else said, it begs to be picked up and held, to be examined and looked at from all angles. I would defy most of us to NOT touch it if we were in the room :D

Here is where the collar seems to me and my eye to be an add on, now saying that, the form or shape of the collar is great, but the fact that you are putting a solid color and VERY solid looking piece of wood on as a collar to this piece that seems to be in motion, is kind of an anchor to my eye............ but what do I know :o

I'd like to see a pic of it without the collar, maybe I'm completely wrong and without the collar it does not look finished...?

No matter what I say, it is obvious this is one nice piece of wood, that you have transformed it through you skill and talent into one heck of a piece of art. I cannot think of anyone that would not be happy to have this grace their home.

Well done!

Oh yeah.........

Atta-Boy!!! :D

Michael Stafford
08-09-2006, 6:42 AM
Keith, it reminds me of some Manzanita burl I have turned but nothing I turned ever came out looking that great. Wonderful looking piece of work. To the private collection I presume.....that's where it would go if I had turned it.:D

Ed Scolforo
08-09-2006, 8:27 AM
Keith, WOW, what an eyecatcher!!

Jeff Myers
08-09-2006, 8:50 AM
Keith, That is waaaaay cool !! I love the shape,,and that wood is spectacular and i think the collar compliments as well,,,,beautiful piece!!!

Christopher K. Hartley
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Keith, this one is a Blue Ribbon winner for sure! Great job!!!!:)

Keith Burns
08-09-2006, 4:23 PM
Thanks guys for your comments.

Stu, I appreciate your comments on the collar. Unfortunately the opening on this piece had voids into the hole and it looked raged and unfinished. I actually thought of trying to match the wood but to me that would have said cover up for sure, thus the contrasting colar.

Curt, I'd never heard of it either. It is a Eucalypt Gum Resin Burl from Australia.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-09-2006, 7:50 PM
Keith, I will have to differ with Stu on this one. I think the collar adds quite well to the piece. Man, that wood doesn't speak, it screams! You've done it great justice, and that does need to be in a gallery or in the hands of a private collector who just paid something like four figures for it.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-09-2006, 8:53 PM
Thanks guys for your comments.

Stu, I appreciate your comments on the collar. Unfortunately the opening on this piece had voids into the hole and it looked raged and unfinished. I actually thought of trying to match the wood but to me that would have said cover up for sure, thus the contrasting collar.

Curt, I'd never heard of it either. It is a Eucalypt Gum Resin Burl from Australia.

Well you are the guy on hand Keith, so second guessing you was just an exercise anyways.

Your piece is brilliant, thanks for showing it here!

Mark Cothren
08-10-2006, 4:56 PM
What a great, unique piece of wood! The HF looks great and the collar looks good up there to me.