PDA

View Full Version : latest windows update--problems?

Mark Pruitt
08-08-2006, 7:05 PM
I just ran the latest update (XP professional ed.) and when I restarted I got a blue screen with some techie geek stuff that said basically in lay terms, congratulations--you're screwed. (Something about something not installing right, or not working right--heck I don't know.) The last line said "Contact your administrator or technical support group." I pressed the power switch and held it in until the PC shut off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on. Everything started "normal" just as if nothing wrong had happened. Geez! Anybody else have this happen?
Mark

Wes Bischel
08-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Yep, spent the last hour trying to get online. Their download was stuck at 31% - this after it said it downloaded/installed/restarted!:mad: I had to set the firewall to block any MS stuff. Last update jammed up the computer so bad I had to reload a bunch of stuff - some still isn't working.:mad:

Good god, I'm sick of having to clean up after these boneheads!

I hope everything is back to normal on your unit Mark.

Wes

Steve Clardy
08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Not yet. WHich update was it?

Mark Pruitt
08-09-2006, 1:27 PM
Steve, I don't know specifically which update, as there were about 9 of them. I run Windows Update every month, sometimes more frequently. This time, one of the updates had red print beneath its title saying something like "addresses a major critical windows security issue" or some variation of those words. Subsequently, I ran the same set of updates on the older PC (running on XP also) and experienced no issues at all. I'll probably update the laptop tonight, hopefully I won't kill it. At this point I guess it may have been something unique to the particular PC I was using, which disappoints me since it is the newest and by far the best of our PCs.
Mark

Chuck Wintle
08-09-2006, 2:28 PM
It could be the WGA update as it has caused problems from what I have read.

Chuck Wintle
08-09-2006, 2:29 PM
It could be the WGA update as it has caused problems from what I have read.
sorry double post somehow.

Rick Gibson
08-09-2006, 4:27 PM
I would stay away from the WGA update if you haven't already installed it. Thing calls microsoft daily. I run zone alarm firewall and disabled the internet access for it. Haven't had any problems there since.Just don't like software that calls home without me initiating it.

Steve Clardy
08-09-2006, 8:11 PM
I haven't had any update problems with me new computer, with xp pro.
Now the house computer [ xp pro ] is a different story.

I had that dreaded WGA come up on it. What a pain!!
I bought it used a couple years ago.
Got that resolved just a couple of hours ago.