PDA

View Full Version : Turning Tools...Which ones?

Brent Smith
08-08-2006, 5:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

As some of you may remember I just got my first lathe. I've bought a few tools so far, but mainly the cheapest I could find to learn sharpening and using them.

Now it's time to start building a useful set of tools. I know pretty much which tools I need (although suggestions would not be ignored). What I'm wondering is, which manufacturers tools do you guys find to be the best in terms of quality and edge holding. Here in Montreal, I have easy access to Henry Taylor, Hamlet and Robert Sorby tools. How do you feel about these makers? Are there others I should be looking at that the quality would make ordering them worthwhile? Cost is not an object (sounds pompous, doesn't it LOL), I've always believed in buying the best tool I can afford....Buy once, cry once.

Thanks for your input. BTW, taking advice from this forum, I just received a pair of Alan Lacers skew chisels in the mail today.

Brent

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2006, 6:05 PM
Brent,

I have Robert Larson tools, Robert Sorby tools and a Crown tool. I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs. I have large hands. I like the Sorby tools best. The fit on the handles seems to fit my hands best.

My advice.....if you have a stocking dealer nearby...go there and handle those tools. If they have a lathe ...take the tool and set it on the tool rest like you're going to use it.

Realistically, most of the major manufacturers use good steel and wood. Of course, everyone will have a lemon occasionally! So.....go find the one that fits best and go with it!

Recently a number of off brand Chinese manufactured tools have been tested and rated well with minor differences in fit and finish.

A lot of Creekers believe in tools sold at PSI...Benjamin's Best.....a lot are using the new line sold at Woodcraft...I forget the brand.....both a made in China......

Good luck!

John Shuk
08-08-2006, 10:56 PM
If you can get your hands on a glaser bowl gouge you would be a happy man.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-08-2006, 11:40 PM
I really like the P&N Bowl gouge I have, the scrapers are nice too!

Cheers!

Brent Smith
08-09-2006, 9:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Ken, I'm built about like you with big hands also. Ill go to the local Sorby dealer and fiddle around with some of the tools.

John, as I said, I just received the Lacer skews which are made by Glaser....man they are nice (though I certainly need a lot more practise with a skew). I ordered a couple of Glaser bowl gouges from WW supply today.

Stu, I hadn't really considered P&N, but the next time I'm in Ottawa I'm going to stop by Lee Valley and see how they feel in my hands.

Again, thanks guys.

Brent

08-10-2006, 12:23 AM
......................Stu, I hadn't really considered P&N, but the next time I'm in Ottawa I'm going to stop by Lee Valley and see how they feel in my hands...................

Brent, I agree with Ken that for the most part there are no "Bad" tools on the market if you stick with the better known names.

I really like my P&N 1/2" bowl gouge, it is my "Go to" tool for sure, and if you buy it unhanded it is something like $28, heck of a deal.

I don't know about going to Lee Valley, each time I go there, I end up a lot lighter in the Dungeon budget...........for months......... :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Brent Smith
08-10-2006, 6:44 AM
Stu, I know what you're saying. I've never been able to order just what I need, always find an excuse to pad the order LOL. Even though I'm constantly chiding Rob Lee about opening a store in Montreal, it's probably a good thing that I have to order by phone or drive an hour and a half to get to one.

Brent

08-10-2006, 7:26 AM
You and me both Brent!

I have the extra excuse of "Well, I'm paying for international shipping anyways...." :rolleyes:

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/chisels/37b0151s1.jpg

Got to admit that they look rather cool eh? :D

Cheers!

John Shuk
08-10-2006, 7:57 AM
P&N is nice stuff for sure. I'm supposed to be picking up a detail gouge that my buddies and I did a group buy on. My friend has let me get a little time on his and I like it alot.
Brent,
You really are going to love the Glaser bowl gouge. I have a 3/8 I picked up from Johannes Mickleson and he put his grind on it for me. It is very nice.

Mark Pruitt
08-10-2006, 8:07 AM
You and me both Brent!

I have the extra excuse of "Well, I'm paying for international shipping anyways...." :rolleyes:

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/chisels/37b0151s1.jpg

Got to admit that they look rather cool eh? :D

Cheers!
"E" will be coming. "G" is oh-soooo-tempting!:p But I think I'm going to have to refrain for now...:(

08-10-2006, 8:17 AM
I have the 1/2" bowl gouge, I bought it handed, as it was only about $5 cheaper unhanded, and the wood would have cost me more than $5.........

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/rough_out/dsc06044.jpg
On the old C-man lathe...... LOVE that Big Boy!! :D

The roughing gouge and the Supra bowl gouge, ya, they are on my wish list as well!

Cheers!

Chris Barton
08-10-2006, 9:25 AM
Hi Brent,

I have bought several of these and despite their low price, have found them to be excellent. They are available through Woodcraft.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web5238big.jpg

Brent Smith
08-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Stu...where did you buy the P&N handled. The only place I've come across them is LV unhandled.

Chris...thanks for the heads up on the Pinnacle brand.

08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I bought it here in Japan at Ikeada tools, good price, he had them on clearance, I think I paid about $47 US for it,

Cheers!