PDA

View Full Version : My wife brought home some logs...

Chris Barton
08-08-2006, 5:00 PM
And I was convinced they were useless. They looked pretty rotten and bug infested and I was right about the latter; termites, larva, beetles and a partridge in a pear tree. Anyway, she's my wife, what can I say but "thanks so much honey." So I turned a couple of bowls yesterday and look what was inside these putrid logs. "Oh honey, where did you get that wood?"

Also, I have included a picture of my latest "proof of concept" (POC) experiment for limiting the spread of wood curls from the lathe. That POC term is used a lot in my business but, I think it is the same as "Rube Goldberg-Like." Or maybe POS...

Scott Donley
08-08-2006, 5:13 PM
Fantastic looking wood Chris and a good job on the bowls. Is this another reason for a face shield (bug splatter :) ) O' good training of the wife also :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2006, 5:19 PM
Yep Chris ya got her trained right.:p That is some nice looking wood and beautiful bowls. I hope ya told her she did good. :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-08-2006, 6:35 PM
Two things, Chris!

1. You ARE going to be VERY nice to her..........................AREN'T YOU?!!!!!

2. How come Mustard is so CLEAN.......................... Do you have some Mayonaise or GREEN hiding in the background, doing ALL the work?

Bruce

BTW............................... Bowls ARE AWESOME!

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2006, 9:45 PM
Yup, I would say the wife did great. Nice bowls, some different color and markings there. Beautiful clean shop as well!!

corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Chris............I hope you went back and gave her an "Atta Girl!"...Gloat on two accounts! Nice bowls BTW!

Chris Barton
08-09-2006, 8:34 AM
Thanks guys, the bowls are not my best work to date but, they were fun and I did get to sharpen some skills turning them. I will be trying out my chip screen today. I made it out of clear shower curtains and a piece of PVC that I bent to shape using a blow torch. I have been known to launch chips 20-30 ft and this is an attempt to keep them a little more localized.

Big Yellar, my PM3520a is my baby, I keep her clean and well fed...:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-09-2006, 7:26 PM
Chris, those are beautiful bowls. At first I was wondering where you picked up the hospital divider, but then you mentioned PVC pipe...

Chris Barton
08-10-2006, 9:18 AM
Thanks Henry. Now you have given me some ideas. I know where there is a lot of hospital surplus equipment...

Chip Sutherland
08-10-2006, 6:26 PM
But something's wrong with your shop.....too dang clean. Get back to work. :D