PDA

View Full Version : CA glue vs any other for pens

Forrest Price
08-08-2006, 3:40 PM
OK folks, I'm really not intending to start anything here, not my style, but I was wondering after reading the poly for pens post (and didn't want to hijack it), why some of you prefer other types of glue over the CA.

Has one ever failed due to CA or is it just the instant cure time and possibility of it setting before the tube gets inserted fully?

I've done quite a few pens, and have used CA exclusively on them. Tubes have never fallen out, but I have lost a couple due to being somewhat inattentive when inserting. That stuff can grab quick!:eek:

Just wondering if I should experiment, and I really hate the mess from poly glue!

Always hoping to learn here. Thanks for any input.

Paul Downes
08-08-2006, 3:53 PM
I use poly glue on 90% of the pens I turn. There are some who believe there is an advantage using poly because it expands (foams) and fills any gaps between the tube and blank and perhaps provides a cushioning effect. It is messy. I dip a steel rod in the glue and coat the inside of the blank with that before I insert the tube which I also coat with glue. It also seems easier to clean out of the tube when I end mill the pen blanks (vs CA glue). surgical gloves are nice.

Dario Octaviano
08-08-2006, 3:59 PM
99% Poly
1% 30 minute epoxy (they tend to cure faster here at TX)

So far no failure on any of both.

Tried CA once and it cured midway. That made it my only try.

Forrest Price
08-08-2006, 4:01 PM
.... There are some who believe there is an advantage using poly because it expands (foams) and fills any gaps between the tube and blank and perhaps provides a cushioning effect. ...

OK, that makes sense. I have noticed on some of the really soft spalted ones, that the CA glue does help hold it together while turning.

I can see the benefits of the expanding poly in cases like that as well.

Thanks for the input Paul.

Scott Donley
08-08-2006, 4:20 PM
Tried GG (poly) once and it was ok but seemed like a lot of trouble compared to epoxy. Tried CA once, and it was the only pen I have done that got a small chip out on the tip ( off the tube ) also glued my hand to the table (should have paid more attention :) ) Epoxy has been good to me, have not had any blowouts or glued any bodily parts to anything. Have only done maybe 50 or so pens and pencils so I am no pro, but epoxy works good for me, so why change a good thing :)

Chris Barton
08-08-2006, 4:25 PM
I used to use CA exclusively but, after some slipped barrels on some expensive pens I decided to go to poly for all of my production runs of pens. I usually make between 10-20 at a time and glue up the barrels and let them cure overnight. In my opinion, poly is easier to use than epoxy and less messy. On the otherhand, 5 minute epoxy is faster. I still use CA for one of a kind or prototypes.

Wally Wenzel
08-08-2006, 5:00 PM
I have only used the 5 min. epoxy, have never had a failure with it, usualy let it cure longer than 5 min. just to make sure. Wally

Keith Outten
08-08-2006, 5:07 PM
I use GG Poly for all my pens now. I used CA for awhile but didn't like it and deep down I get the feeling that over time it will crystalize and lose its bond.

I don't find poly glue to be messey at all and never get it on my hands. I put the brass tube on the end of a Craftsman center punch (my insertion tool) then apply a large drop of glue to the barrel and insert it into the end of the blank. Using a twisting motion I work the barrel all the way to the other end then remove the barrel and insert it from the opposite end until it is flush. I use the center punch to wipe the excess glue from both ends of the blank by rolling the punch as I swipe the end to remove the excess glue. I then wipe the punch off on a paper towell and start the next blank.

Mike Vickery
08-08-2006, 5:11 PM
I have tried all but now only use epoxy. I found some 90 second epoxy that is cured enough for turning in less then 10 minutes. I actually think poly is the best choice in glue but I do not like to wait that long to turn and do not like the mess.
CA glue I do not think fills gaps enough and I get to many tubes stuck while inserting. If it works for you stick with it though. As long as it holds while turning you should be good.

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2006, 5:15 PM
Ditto what Keith said. A $4 craftsman punch works well as a insertion tools. Keeps it off the pinky's.

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2006, 9:53 PM
Forrest my first time out with CA and pen tubes it dried on me. I was as green as could be then. I also had some PSI Epoxy and used that on the next one and I have just stuck with it. It lasts forever as I have made probably 30 pens or more to date and I still have half the bottles. Gives me plenty of time to get things done. The cure time isn't a problem.I usually drill up 3 or 4 pens at a time and by the time I cut, drill, glue up etc. I don't feel like turning them then anyway.

Corey

Gary Max
08-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Use polly all the time now---Drill and glue the night before.
Started buying Elmers brand of polly ---a lot less money than GG---pick it up at wally world----same section as the spray paint is in.
Hay I need every dollor these days.