PDA

View Full Version : Hot shops

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-08-2006, 3:28 PM
I've poked fun at a couple post where northerners are whining ;) about it being 90 degrees in the shop and how they can't work...

Well I haven't been very productive in the shop since maybe last October. I'm working on some things, but not very enthusiastically, and with no regularity. So this morning I actually worked wood for about three hours...and I thought I was gonna die when I quit. And it's not really even 'hot' for around here...probably mid 90s. Sooo...apologies to whomever I may have laughed at. It takes some getting used to, and it sure doesn't take long to get 'un' used to it! :o

Humbly,

KC

glenn bradley
08-08-2006, 3:44 PM
When I lived in Folsom, CA one of the hazards of working on finishes was not to drip sweat off the end of your nose on to the piece you were working on. Now in the SoCal foothills the shop stays a workable mid 90's during the warm months. Better than the 110 that was the norm in the central valley. *** whew ***

Greg Sznajdruk
08-08-2006, 3:58 PM
About a year ago I had a large commercial air conditioner that was kicking around the shop space in the office. Finally got feed up tripping over it, so got rid of the darn thing. Of course last fall I set up a 24 by 32 foot shop. Now that I need the AC no hope in getting it back. Just goes to show don't throw stuff away you will regret it later.

Greg

Steve Evans
08-08-2006, 4:46 PM
I've poked fun at a couple post where northerners are whining ;) about it being 90 degrees in the shop and how they can't work...

Kirk

Us northerners always laugh at the Southerners wearing a jacket when it's 40 deg out in the winter. Of course by the end of the summer here if it went to 40 deg we'd be wearing a jacket as well. It really is amazing how well the human body can adapt to it's environment. I have some friends who work over in Dubai. Summer time temps of 115 to 120 with very high humidity. When they come back here to visit, the kids are complaining that it's only 80 deg out.

Steve (where it's a lovely 73 deg today)

Jim Andrew
08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
This summers heat is really tough. I've been working on cabinets for my
daughter, and this morning I noticed a dark handprint on my tablesaw, and
a spot on my jointer from sweat. Wax does not protect your tabletops from sweat. Jim

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2006, 1:23 AM
Kirk,

I hear ya loud and clear buddy.!!!!! It's been HOT this year and I remember our first summer after moving to Arkansas. We thought we had moved into the very pit of the devil's den!!!!! Day after day of 100+ degree temps with humidity well over 90%. I'd go out in the shop after the sun went down and the shop was still over 115 degrees!!!!!! I need to replace my smaller A/C unit and put in another 12,000BTU unit to help hold down the heat. But then again, I'm also considering putting in a central A/C unit that's around a 2 ton unit. Seems like it would be a little more effecient that running multiple window type units to cool the shop, especially when they have to run for HOURS to drop the temp in my shop even 4 degrees.

Come ON Fall!!!!!!

Eddie Watkins
08-09-2006, 9:58 AM
I put in a 24,000 btu window unit last year and it has been a life saver. I set it at 80 degrees. It is not that cool but it does pull enough of the humidity out of the air that I don't just drip on everything. It has been around 100 or over for over a month now and I acclimate over the weekend. Problem is at work they keep the temp at about 72 degrees and it really makes it hard for me to adjust to the heat of an evening through the week.

Eddie

George Leicht
08-09-2006, 3:16 PM
One of the best things about having a basement workshop is that it gets into the upper 70's when it's really hot, and down to the lower 50's when it's really cold. I don't think I would buy a house without a walk-out basement after having one.
George

Hank Knight
08-09-2006, 3:36 PM
With all the news reports about the heat, I was beginning to believe this summer is really a record setter here. Not so. It's no warmer that it usually is in South Carolina. I've been accustomed to 100 degree days since I was a kid. Don't get me wrong, it's still hot, but no hotter than normal. The difference this year is that it's hot everywhere, not just here in the South. With 100 degree days in Chicago and along the Canadian border, this summer is unusual.

Bruce Wrenn
08-09-2006, 11:04 PM
It is easy to see that we all have South American shops. When it's cold there our shops are hot and when it's hot there, our shops are cold. Shops are built in wrong place. The difference between a rich man and a poor man- six months. The rich man sleeps cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and the poor man warm in summer and cool in winter.