PDA

View Full Version : Spider webs, How do I get rid of the spiders?

Jim Hoelzel
08-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi All.

I have been out of my shop for 6 weeks. When I went to walk in yesterday, the whole shop is a giant spider web! :eek:

So how do I get my shop back from the spiders?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!:)

Jon Eckels
08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
a whisk broom , a shop vac, and a bug bomb. worked for me. cover your tool surfaces first though.

My shop hadn't been used in 15 years before i moved into it. There were plenty of spiders.

Ken Garlock
08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
That is a lot of web to put up with.:eek:

I haven't tried this, but you might consider it: Spider-Not (http://www.spidernot.net/).

I did kill a black widow on our front porch a couple years ago just using wasp and hornet spray. It did take about 4 or 5 shots to get the old girl. My wife used the same stuff to kill a tarantula on our back patio. The are bug bombs that advertise that they are good for spiders, I believe I saw them at the borg.

Lee DeRaud
08-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I use a broom to clear webs from areas where I might run into them, but generally I treat spiders the same way I do lizards. The question you have to ask yourself is, are you willing to put up with much larger numbers of whatever the spiders are eating?

That said, it's a dry climate here: if I had to deal with black widows inside, I might handle it a bit differently.

Jim Hoelzel
08-08-2006, 1:15 PM
These are relatively small spiders that I have seen. Nothing bigger than a thumb tack, but mostly smaller. It has been very dry here, with rain fall about 10 inches behind. I have no idea what they would be eating in there??? Maybe just getting out of the direct heat? It does stay much cooler inside my shop.

I do have to get my shop back from them soon, as I have to build our kitchen. We have been without for about 4 months, and I am not sure I can hold the wife off much longer.

Someone did suggest the ole hedge apple in the corners. Anyone have any luck with them?

Roger Fitzsimonds
08-08-2006, 1:39 PM
Hi Jim,
I killed the spiders in my shop with a bug bomb from the borg. you open the can am pour water in to make a smoke and leave the area for at least 4 hours. This penetrates very well. I have not had a prblem since.

Hth
Roger

Allen Bookout
08-08-2006, 1:57 PM
I used Real-Kill indoor fogger about a month ago and it appeared to do a real good job. I just used one can for a 24' x 24' x 9' area. I just now see a web in one corner but I think it is one that I did not clean up after bombing but I am not sure so next time that I bomb I might try spraying the corners with an indoor liquid as well.

I just looked at the Spider Not website and it says "kills on contact". That is why I used the bomb. The bomb evidently kills with fumes and penetrates those spaces that you cannot get to with spray. The Spider Not might be a good thing to use after using a bomb.

Allen

Bruce Page
08-08-2006, 2:57 PM
I have an on going war with daddy-longlegs. I know pretty much their favorite spots in the shop, so I just vacuum them up when I clean shop.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2006, 3:42 PM
Of course there remains the question:
What are they eating?

Mark Pruitt
08-08-2006, 3:59 PM
Raid Fumigator. (not fogger.) Comes in pack of three, dispenses smoke rather than spray, hence no residue to wipe up aftterwards.
Mark

Norman Hitt
08-08-2006, 4:01 PM
"If you're not Allergic" to mothballs, you might place some of them around the shop and close it up for a couple of days, and then leave a few around the places they like to hide. When I was a kid and my Dad and I leveled houses as a side business, we would completely enclose the underpinning except for one place about 2' wide and then throw a bag of mothballs in the corners away from the hole and leave it for two or three days, and it would drive all the spiders and any snakes out before we had to go under the house to work.

Fred Woodward
08-08-2006, 4:23 PM
The mothballs trick works pretty well.
I also place mothballs inside the compressor housing for the AC unit outside. Keeps the fireants out of the contactor.
It's pretty weird but fireants seem to be attracted to relay contacts and will cause quite a problem when their spent bodies accumulate on the contactor and relay contacts thus preventing said relays from closing in the AC control units. :eek: Spiders like those areas too but don't seem to be drawn to the relays.

Chris Padilla
08-08-2006, 5:00 PM
The mothballs trick works pretty well.
I also place mothballs inside the compressor housing for the AC unit outside. Keeps the fireants out of the contactor.
It's pretty weird but fireants seem to be attracted to relay contacts and will cause quite a problem when their spent bodies accumulate on the contactor and relay contacts thus preventing said relays from closing in the AC control units. :eek: Spiders like those areas too but don't seem to be drawn to the relays.

Mmmm, electirc and magnetic fields....

Jim Becker
08-08-2006, 6:09 PM
If you have spiders, that means you have spider food...the spiders are the "good guys/gals".

Doug Shepard
08-08-2006, 6:22 PM
This is the best spider remover I've ever had.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20444&stc=1&d=1118439729

Lee DeRaud
08-08-2006, 6:54 PM
This is the best spider remover I've ever had.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20444&stc=1&d=1118439729
Yeah, it works, but I have trouble getting the long handle attached so I can get up in the rafters of the garage. :D

Brian Hale
08-08-2006, 7:53 PM
...the spiders are the "good guys/gals".

I agree! My shop/basement has a fair amount of them and they make great models.....:rolleyes:

Brian :)

Per Swenson
08-08-2006, 8:06 PM
Jim beat me to it.

Unless they are brown recluses's or something, spiders are the good

guys. My opinion all poisons are bad. Just vacume the webs, they will
get the idea and make smaller ones and still eat the others.

Per

Jim Becker
08-08-2006, 9:32 PM
I agree! My shop/basement has a fair amount of them and they make great models.....

Hmmm...that looks like a grasshopper to me, Brian...:o

Brian Hale
08-09-2006, 4:10 AM
DOH!

Always preview before bed... :o :o :o

Brian :)

Ron Blaise
08-09-2006, 6:00 AM
And I don't know what they could find to eat in my shop (sawdust?). You can't kill them like insects because they don't clean themselves so a bomb works best for them. We have both the deadly varieties here, Brown Recluse (one left a nasty scar on my Daughter) and the Black Widow,(one put my wife in the hospital). Oh, did I mention Scorpions, all four varieties of poisonous snakes, Alligators, Fire Ants, Killer Bees, etc, etc.

Mark Pruitt
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
What was the song---"I don't like spiders and snakes"......

OK maybe I'm a sissy on this one, but I tell ya, I don't like 'em....

Jim Becker
08-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Um...Mark...they don't like you, either... ;)