PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw

Dave Hammelef
09-29-2003, 9:22 PM
Ok, I have a cheap $30 jigsaw I use for rough cuts in thin stock. What would I use the $200 festool jigsaw for. I have a scroll saw but not a band saw, please educate me, and maybe convince me to buy it. I know its a great tool but what do people do with theirs?????

Doug Jones
09-29-2003, 10:10 PM
I can't think of a single reason to buy it. However if you have 200 smacks sitting around, I'd consider a bandsaw. Heck for what I've seen your better than half way there to a decent bandsaw. Then later get a good jigsaw if you still feel the need.
Only my two cents worth.

Phil Phelps
09-30-2003, 2:46 PM
I don't know about the Festool, Dave. But, I think the best jigsaw on the market is the barrel handle Bosch. Great saw. Varible speed, orbital cutting, and excellent motor. I cut metal, plastic, wood, fiberglass, you name it. I think it is about $159 bucks mail order. Great asset in the shop.

Steve Evans
09-30-2003, 3:58 PM
I have to agree with Phil. I used to have a $50 skil jigsaw. Only used it when I absolutely had to, and I could never understand why people got excited about jigsaws. Then I bought the barrel handle Bosch. It was like going from a Skoda to a Mercedes. What a treat. It sounds like the Festool is a real winner as well.

Lee Schierer
09-30-2003, 4:09 PM
I don't often like to do this in public, but I have to agree with Phil. :rolleyes: After many years of faithful service, I replaced my $30 B&D with a Bosch barrel grip and it is a great tool. I have no regrets. The Bosch with their progressor blades, variable speed and adjustable orbital cutting action can give you a cut nearly as good as a table saw or rip through construction lumber like butter. I think I paid about $150

Unlike a bandsaw, it is very portable and can be used nearly anywhere you can get to.

Still wouldn't give away my bandsaw though It has its points too.

Christian Aufreiter
09-30-2003, 5:32 PM
Hi Lee, hi Steve, hi Phil

I use an older Bosch which is certainly a good tool. However, I had the chance to try a Festool Trion at a show and was deeply impressed. Even if the Festool would cut "only" as well as the Bosch you can't go wrong with it at $ 195. It has more power than the Bosch, a good dust collection, a way better blade changing system, a special CP guide which ensures perfect angles and a unique splinter guard. If you'd buy one and be unhappy with it what I doubt, send it back. Festool has a 30 days money back guarantee.

Regards,

Christian

PS: I don't work for Festool.

Phil Phelps
09-30-2003, 8:24 PM
I'll relate a story I told on the Pond. The thieves stole my greatest jig saw ever, back in the 70's. It was a Sweedish made Lesto. I was at saw shop years ago and the Bosch rep was hangin out. He told me that Bosch bought the Lesto company in years past. And, "ta da" the bosch jig saw was born. He gave me several blades to try out. One is eight inches long. And, I'll be, if I didn't need it a coupla' years ago to free hand cut some 6" foam. Festool is building a massave reputation, but the Bosch has been the best for years. And, why the barrel handle? Ease of cutting. You are more accurate with it. I wish I had invented it.

Gene Collison
09-30-2003, 9:29 PM
I'll relate a story I told on the Pond. The thieves stole my greatest jig saw ever, back in the 70's. It was a Sweedish made Lesto. I was at saw shop years ago and the Bosch rep was hangin out. He told me that Bosch bought the Lesto company in years past. And, "ta da" the bosch jig saw was born. He gave me several blades to try out. One is eight inches long. And, I'll be, if I didn't need it a coupla' years ago to free hand cut some 6" foam. Festool is building a massave reputation, but the Bosch has been the best for years. And, why the barrel handle? Ease of cutting. You are more accurate with it. I wish I had invented it.

Phil, I used to be perfectly happy with my Bosch 1587 but I now own a Festool barrel handle saw. Here are the differences the way I see it. My Bosch had a loose roller blade guide, I checked others and theirs were loose too, excessive play! I run the blade holder to the bottom of its stroke, mine had a slight amount of play there too. A Milwaukee has a large amount of play in that same area. Now the Festool has a pair of adjustable carbide tongs that actually guide the blade right next to the sole, the blade pendulum has no play. The blade is fully guided at all times with the Festool. The Bosch blade can wander all over the place, if it didn't you would never have to replace the zero clearance insert. You can take a Festool and cut curves in 2 inch material and keep it square if you use good technique in hardwood. I was unable to cut curves in 3/4 ply with the 1587 and keep it square. The Festool does this with ease. The zero clearance insert on the Festool is inserted while the tool is running so as to saw right through it.The blank insert is cut by the saw blade in use. Cord on the Festool is detachable and longer than the Bosch. Dust pickup is included with the Festool $30.00 extra for the Bosch. Festool comes with a systainer which is compatible with other Festool tools, everthing is compatible with Festool. Now, I only paid $195 for my Festool a really good price, this is only $35. more than Bosch, was it a good deal? I think so.

Gene

Rick Potter
10-01-2003, 2:05 AM
Dave,

I have the Bosch also, and it cuts very nicely, but I use my bandsaw ten times at least for each time I use the jig saw.

Before you trash it, buy a couple good blades, like Bosch, or DeWalt. These are usually made in Switzerland, and really make a difference.

Rick Potter

Christian Aufreiter
10-01-2003, 5:04 AM
Festool is building a massave reputation, but the Bosch has been the best for years. And, why the barrel handle? Ease of cutting. You are more accurate with it. I wish I had invented it.

Festool is a rather small company in the US and Festool tools are relatively new there. I don't know when Festool started to produce jigsaws, but I'm 18 years old and I know about 4 different generations at least. As far as I know, Festool has been the best for years here and this development is likely to happen in the US, too.

Regards,

Christian

Dan Smith
10-01-2003, 8:44 AM
I also have the Bosch Barrel Grip jig saw. Great saw! I had always thought of a jig saw as a junk tool until I got my bosch. Smooth cutting, aggressive or not, fast or slow. I have cut a 2" thick red oak rocking horse body out with mine and the cuts were square. I cannot comment on the fesstool, but from what I hear, it is also a good tool, the dust collection aspect may be a nice feature.

-dan

John Weber
10-01-2003, 8:45 AM
Dave,

I tend to agree, the jigsaw sees less and less life in the wood shop. With a scroll saw and band saw, curves are usually cut via a stationary machine. I have the top handle Bosch and do like it - no complaints. It's seen more demo, and carpentry duty the woodworking. Before I purchased a Sawzall it helped me on some plumbing and general demo work. I'm sure the Festool is nice, but I can think of more useful ways to spend $200 in the shop, the Festool sander might be one of them. What type of blades does the Festool use? The Bosch style blades are available almost everywhere in types for all sorts of material. I also think the top handle saws are closer to $135 w/case.

John

Christian Aufreiter
10-01-2003, 9:02 AM
What type of blades does the Festool use? The Bosch style blades are available almost everywhere in types for all sorts of material. I also think the top handle saws are closer to $135 w/case.

The Festool jigsaws use Bosch style blades, no problem. Festool offers some specially thick blades which help to guarantee 90° cuts in connection with the CP guide.

Regards,

Christian

Bart Leetch
10-01-2003, 10:30 AM
I am not in the same class "jigsaw wise" with any of you. It's interesting how different parts of the country or being raised in another generation of tool nomenclature you pick up different names for tools. My Dad was a custom home builder & custom cabinet maker who also superintended large projects like restaurants & large upscale apartment complexes & schools. We always called the hand held "jigsaw" a saber saw & the table model a jigsaw. The saws-all was called a reciprocating saw or recip for short. I think I like saws-all better. How ever I'll stick to saber-saw & jig saw or maybe scroll-saw.

Now onto my "jigsaws" which are Craftsman. The LOML had the more expensive scroll head Craftsman saw when we got married so I ended up with it & later picked up a less expensive model for $15 from a friend.

Both saws see limited use. I live & work at 2 apartment complexes right next to each other. In my work I have to replace range hoods in the apartments from time to time & this requires me to re-cut the hole in the upper cabinet because the manufacture moved the vent hole in the top of the hood toward the front of the hood so I picked up a Skill scroll head "jigsaw" for the complexes.

I first tried 2 none scroll headed saws but they won't fit into & turn in the tight area where I have to cut & I am not into cutting up side down on the bottom of an overhead cabinet with sawdust in the face. For the little these saws are used the cost of a Festool is out of the question.

But I like the idea of Festool with sanders & may some day in the future be able to get one. By the way Saber-saw is a proper name I had spelled it as one word & spell-check corrected it to a hyphenated word.

Alan Turner
10-01-2003, 12:54 PM
The Festool jigsaws use Bosch style blades, no problem. Festool offers some specially thick blades which help to guarantee 90° cuts in connection with the CP guide.

Regards,

Christian
Christian,
It is a pleasure to be able to ask a European wookworker a question. I have never used any Festool products, but when my ROS died, I sprung for the Metabo, thinking it was top of the line, but see now that Festool receives much praise from owners. Is Metabo a well respected brand in Europe? As good as Festool? How do their lines compare?
Thx.
Alan

Christian Aufreiter
10-01-2003, 2:19 PM
Christian,
It is a pleasure to be able to ask a European wookworker a question. I have never used any Festool products, but when my ROS died, I sprung for the Metabo, thinking it was top of the line, but see now that Festool receives much praise from owners. Is Metabo a well respected brand in Europe? As good as Festool? How do their lines compare?
Thx.
Alan

Hi Alan,

this is an extremely complicated topic and I'm not conscious that I'll be able to answer your questions completely.
I'm 18 years old and have only used a few different brands. Some days ago, I'd looked in the car of a professional (I use to do this in order to find out what tools they use) and found lot's of Festool's.
These are the top- brands (IMO and from what I found out by "oberserving" professionals):
Festool (woodworking, painting, automotive)
Mafell (carpentry and finer woodworking)
Protool (Festool's young brother, concentrates on construction and carptentry)
Fein (metal branch)
Scheer (special system for routing stairs, Scheer also has large stationary tools but I'm not referring to these kind of tools here)
Lamello (biscuit joiners)
Hilti (rotary hammer drills, construction)
Duss (rotary hammer drills)
There's another company named "Spit" which seems to be quite good but I heard of it the first time two weeks ago so I can't comment on it.
Bosch has two lines here - green for the hobbyist, blue for the professional.
Many professionals use Maktia cordless drills which might be a kind of tradition because Makita is said to be one of the first companies which offered good cordless drills.
Metabo is certainly a good company which offers stationary tools (for the hobbyist) here too but personally, I think there's nothing really outstanding.
Some time ago I heard this comment on Metabo:
"It's a wired thing. Hobby workers say these are professional tools, professionals say these are tools for the hobbyist."
Well, I don't know what's true about that.
I think Bosch blue, Dewalt, Metabo, Makita, Atlas Copco (Milwaukee and AEG) and Kress (in some cases) are also quite good.
I really dislike Dewalt although I never used one of their tools. The reason is that they changed ELU (the highly reputable brand which was well known for routers - they developed the DW 621, also known as Elu OF 97 - and handheld power planers) to Dewalt.
Are you familiar with the Dewalt - Black & Decker - Elu relationship? If not, let me know because this explains why I dislike Dewalt.

The reason why Festool has such an excellent reputation is that they offer almost unique tools in some fields.
The cordless drill with right angle and eccentric attachment
The jigsaw with the CP guide
The plunge saw which is the best example. Mafell is the only company (as far as I know) which offers a comparable saw. Years ago there was a third one - Holzher - but Festool finally bought it. This shows that there are hardly any competitors in the class and while Mafell has excellent saws they don't offer the wide range of accessories for saw and guide rails.
Last year Festool celebrated 40 years of Festool guide rails. So they were probably the first or one of the first brands which offered such a system. As a professional who has been satsified for more than 25 years why should you buy another brand?
This might be the reason why Festool is almost alone in this field. A company would be successful at selling plunge saws if they were way cheaper or way better as Festool. Way cheaper is difficult if you want the same grade of quality and way better is apparently difficult too, otherwise Bosch, Metabo, etc would offer such a saw.

As for the ROS, it works almost without vibrations, has an excellent dust collection (another Festool feature: you don't need adapters in connection with a Festool hose), VS, ....Try it at a show, or buy it. If you're not satisfied, send it back. Festool has a 30 days money back guarantee.

I could continue writing for hours but I don't know if this what you're interested in. BTW, I'd also like your and others' comments.

Regards,

Christian

Phil Phelps
10-01-2003, 4:22 PM
I am not in the same class "jigsaw wise" with any of you. It's interesting how different parts of the country or being raised in another generation of tool nomenclature you pick up different names for tools. My Dad was a custom home builder & custom cabinet maker who also superintended large projects like restaurants & large upscale apartment complexes & schools. We always called the hand held "jigsaw" a saber saw & the table model a jigsaw. The saws-all was called a reciprocating saw or recip for short. I think I like saws-all better. How ever I'll stick to saber-saw & jig saw or maybe scroll-saw.

I always called a floor model reciprocating saw a "jig saw". It is a scroll saw, too. But, a hand held model is a saber-saw. Sawzall. trade name from Milwaukee, is a different animal. To me, it's for construction. No scroll work for it. At least that's my way of thinkin'.