PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing happened on the way to the dust collector

Lars Thomas
08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Following is my duhhh story for the year . . . I have a Jet 2 HP dust collector (model 1100, I think). Over the weekend I was jointing some cherry and didn't pay any attention to the dust collector. It would have be easier if I had. The dust collector was completely full. Now when I say 'full', I mean it was FULL - All the way to the top of the TOP bag. I didn't know that was even possible. What a mess it was to empty!

Am I the only guy that has ever done this? Come on fess up!!

Jim Becker
08-07-2006, 11:01 PM
I've over filled the bin on my cyclone a couple of times...and it wasn't pretty since the blow-by absolutely stuffed the cartridge filter. Talk about a pain in the butt to clean out! Stuffed!

So...you are NOT alone!

Robert Mickley
08-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Funny you should mention this, I stuffed the home made cyclone seperator today planing walnut, your right it is a mess :D

Steve Clardy
08-08-2006, 1:41 AM
Sorry guys. Never done that.
Mine all goes outside. No bags:)

Matt Meiser
08-08-2006, 6:55 AM
Yep, big mess. I put a bin level indicator on my drum now, so hopefully it won't happen again.

tod evans
08-08-2006, 7:35 AM
lars, i overfill mine about once a week, takes 3-4 trashcans to empty normally, if i miss the mark it`s double that.....tod

Jeffrey Makiel
08-08-2006, 8:05 AM
Wow! Both top and bottom bags were completely filled?! Wow again! I bet it looked like it was running even when turned off.
-Jeff :)

Byron Trantham
08-08-2006, 8:16 AM
I hate when that happens!:mad:

Keith Beck
08-08-2006, 8:24 AM
I haven't quite figured out how I want to lay out my DC ducting, so I've got a lot of temporary set-ups. To collect dust at my miter saw, I used to have to unhook my flexible duct from the PVC pipe that ran to the rest of my machines and plug it into the miter saw port. Well, I forgot to plug it back into the PVC duct when it was time to plane some cedar boards. My DW735 planer ejects chips out so well, that I didn't even notice any backup. The chips shot out the end of the PVC pipe and completely covered the wall behind the dust collector. I finally noticed it when I was finished and went to turn off the DC. Aaaaargh!

Keith

Bob Huddleston
08-08-2006, 9:18 AM
Better check mine before I do that again! :eek:

Jeffrey Makiel
08-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Keith,
You and I are very different. I would have just layed down in the pile of chips, had a beer and called it a day.

One man's mess, is another man's opportunity.

Donnie Raines
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Sorry guys. Never done that.
Mine all goes outside. No bags:)

Man, I was wondering why the air seemed all pole-ew-ted.;)

Jimmy Tallent
08-09-2006, 9:07 PM
They fill up in a hurry,on my cyclone i have a 50 gal.drum,and then the exhaust port goes outside.When it gets to full,it blows it out side. Tempest cyclone 3 HP,works great.

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2006, 9:20 PM
OK....I get the hint.....

Ya'll excuse me while I go and empty my DC of all it's contents. :o :rolleyes: ;)

tod evans
08-10-2006, 8:13 AM
help with cleaning out the d/c........02 tod

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2006, 9:06 AM

LOL!!!!!!!! And that AIN'T no little dawg either!!! I know, I've meet all 3 of them in person. Uh, the dawgs Tod...not you....not that I haven't met you or anything like that, but the dawgs are quiet un-nerving when one drives up to the shop, put the car in park and get met at the drivers side door window with eyes and teeth and would put a shark to shame. :eek: :D

Nice puppies though.....glad I don't have to feed them.

OK...shop cleaner now....thanks for the reminder.

Hank Knight
08-10-2006, 2:37 PM
Tod, is your dog's name "Brute" and is that his food bowl? Man, that's a big pooch.
Nice, shop shot. ;)

Bruce Page
08-10-2006, 2:49 PM
I've never let mine fill up past the waist ring. I did have to empty it last weekend - not my favorite thing to do. :(

tod evans
08-10-2006, 2:52 PM
[quote=Bruce Page]I've never let mine fill up past the waist ring. I did have to empty it last weekend - not my favorite thing to do. :([/quo:eek: te]

bruce, what`s a waist ring? i ran that pile yesterday after lunch, 18 trashcans full...tod

Bruce Page
08-10-2006, 2:56 PM
[quote=Bruce Page]I've never let mine fill up past the waist ring. I did have to empty it last weekend - not my favorite thing to do. :([/quo:eek: te]

bruce, what`s a waist ring? i ran that pile yesterday after lunch, 18 trashcans full...tod
Tod, if I made as many chips as you do I would have a real DC! :)

tod evans
08-10-2006, 3:00 PM
[quote=tod evans]
Tod, if I made as many chips as you do I would have a real DC! :)

bruce, i cobbled that together on a shoestring. it works for keeping chips outta the machines but is a real pita to empty, especially if i screw up and fill the filters! i have augers but no time to build a rotary air lock and install `em so i shovel.....i`m serious though, what`s a waist ring? never heard of it.....tod

Jeffrey Makiel
08-10-2006, 3:06 PM
[quote=tod evans]help with cleaning out the d/c........02 tod
quote]

There's a certain quality about your dog that I can relate to, but can't quite put my finger on it.

Anyway, all this writing has exhausted me. I'm goin' to lay down now.

Mike Jory
08-10-2006, 5:33 PM
Yep, I did it too! I wondered why the suction wasn't what it used to be. I over filled my two bag colllector.
One thing I learned, when emptying it before, was to take the whole thing to my hill in my back yard and just open the bags and let it all fall out. I put a resperator on and there is very little clean up.
Once before I open up the lower bag in the shop, not realizing that I had started to fill the upper bag. What a mess

Lars Thomas
08-10-2006, 5:33 PM
Tod, the small home-shop dust collectors (bag on top and bottom) have a ring in the middle - I suspect that is what Bruce is referring to.

Bruce Page
08-10-2006, 5:37 PM
Tod, the small home-shop dust collectors (bag on top and bottom) have a ring in the middle - I suspect that is what Bruce is referring to.

Yep, I have a Delta 50-850.

tod evans
08-10-2006, 5:41 PM

thanks lars! i don`t like being an idiot any more than necessary..tod

Andy Hoyt
08-10-2006, 5:44 PM
And then there days that it just doesn't pay to bother.

tod evans
08-10-2006, 5:51 PM
i love it andy! here`s the result of yesterdays barage + 5-6 more cans full. that was empty this mornin`....tod

Brett Baldwin
08-10-2006, 5:57 PM
Holy Frijoles! You guys throw away more wood in sawdust than I've even bought yet.

Mark Rios
08-10-2006, 5:58 PM

Hey, that's pretty cute, Tod. You printed the dogs name on the trash cans. Very cool.

:D :D :D

glenn bradley
08-10-2006, 9:38 PM
Holy smack Andy! Tell me you do this professionally. It would take my hobbiest-a$$ 5 months to make a pile like that. Everything is relative; I thought I created a lot of sawdust. I empty my seperator about once every couple weeks and my "dust" bag maybe once a month. Maybe someday I'll know the joy and the pain of doing a serious amount of WWing. ;-)

Lars Thomas
08-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Andy, all that from a goblet, or are you turning pens again?

John Miliunas
08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Andy, all that from a goblet, or are you turning pens again?

Lars, that shot is one from Andy's archive. He finally got the results he needed for the Itty Bitty Contest 44551

and that's just the leftover "stuff"! :D :D :D :cool: