PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier buffet and cabinet book?

Al Willits
08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Not sure where to put this, so I'll try here.

Wife has decided after wandering around the furniture stores the buffet she wants in our dining room is gonna be about 40" wide, 68-72" high and 24" deep, and looks like its in two parts.
Salesman at the store said it was a Hoosier style...this make any sense?

Looks kinda like a standard buffet with a top half that plates/whatever can also go in....kinda..:)
Anyway, any idea's where I can locate a set of plans for something like this?

Also, she's informed me that I will be making some changes on the kitchen cabinets, so I should probably learn a bit about kitchen cabinets, my fall wood working class has yet to start, so any suggestions on a "kitchen cabinets for dummies" book/video??

tia

Al .. who thinks the more he learns, the more he doesn't know...:confused: :)

Dan Oliphant
08-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Al, take a look at amazon.com (books) search under kitchen cabinets, you will find many to choose from.
The buffet does sound like a Hoosier style unit.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Al,
I suggest you do a google search for "hoosier cabinet". You will find several examples of hoosier cabinets. What you are describing does not sound like a hoosier cabinet to me.

Lars Thomas
08-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Since Ron is from the Hoosier state, I would take his word for it. Must not be a hoosier cabinet. Although, that's what I always thought a hoosier cabinet looked like.

Al Willits
08-08-2006, 8:49 AM
I have looked at various places for books, problem is there's so many of them hard to make a choice, just looking for a couple of recommendations for something that will work for a newbie.

Not sure about posting web sites, but if you go to www.woodworkzone.com/shelley/plans_diningroom.htm (http://www.woodworkzone.com/shelley/plans_diningroom.htm)
and scroll down to the Hoosier buffet, thats what she wants.

In the quest to find what it was, I may have just found the plans I need...:)

Open to any other idea's/plans also.

Al .. who should just make "thanks all" part of his permanent signature...:D

Ed Breen
08-09-2006, 7:06 PM
Al,
Try Van Dykes Restorers. They have several Hoosier cabinets in kit form. They are very true to the original. I had one in the 50's back in New York, My first house was built in 1860. Notice the sugar and flour bins, standard on those cabinets.
Good luck
Ed
www.vandykes.com (http://www.vandykes.com)

Al Willits
08-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks Ed, all I see is kits, just looking for plans to build one, I'll supply the wood..:)

Never mind anyway, wife is playing female again and has changed her mind, she now wants something called a sideboard buffet....grrrr

Al who's gonna get a shelf at the Borg till she makes up her mind...:D

Ken Garlock
08-10-2006, 4:05 PM
II Al. When I was a youngster, my great aunt who lived in Avon Indiana had a real honest to goodness Hoosier in her kitchen. In my eye, they are strictly kitchen equipment. It had a flour bin above the porcelain-steel counter top. It was, IMO, a baking center for the farm wife.

It was rather big, and heavy. I don't really think your dear wife really knows what she is asking for.

Al Willits
08-10-2006, 7:15 PM
Ken, the one she was looking at was about 78" high, 50" wide and 24" deep I think, or close to that.

Would have been fun to try and make it, but she figured it was going to take up to much room and has found something a little more in the basic buffet style, I think about 46 wide x 40 high ans 24 " deep, a bit smaller and no top piece.

Personally I'm happy making cabinets for the garage till she makes up her mind, looking at the latest pictures of shops has renewed my cleaning binge....

Al

Ken Garlock
08-10-2006, 9:47 PM
Personally I'm happy making cabinets for the garage till she makes up her mind, looking at the latest pictures of shops has renewed my cleaning binge....

Al

Al, you sound like a long married man.:D

Al Willits
08-10-2006, 9:51 PM
"""""""""""
Al, you sound like a long married man.:D
"""""""""

If 25 years is long...then ya....:)

Speaking of cabinets, been perusing the web looking for a "how to" book and this one comes up a lot.
The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker: Shop Drawings and Professional Methods for Designing and Constructing Every Kind of Kitchen and Built-In Cabinet (Paperback)
by Robert W. Lang (http://www.amazon.com/s/103-0107944-1048613?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Robert%20W.%20Lang), John Kelsey (http://www.amazon.com/s/103-0107944-1048613?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=John%20Kelsey) (Photographer)

Anybody read this one and thoughts??

Al