PDA

View Full Version : OH MY GOD.............He does "FLAT WORK?"

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 5:26 PM
Yep! Every once in a while, I get a challange (even in the FLAT world) that I can't pass up..................... Especially when there is a (in my opinion) substantial monitary gain!

Two weeks ago at the Saturday morning market, a gentleman came to me and asked if I'd be interested in making him some new handles for a knife he had. I looked at the knife and had to admit...................The handles were UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY! Black plastic and NO class. The knife was held together with Star head screws, so I knew I'd be able to get it apart with little or no problems. I said yes and here's the result.

Normally I wouldn't talk pricing, but it helps the story. The deal originated at $20.00 (estimated 1 hrs work)................Escallated to $30.00 when he saw Cocobolo, and liked it. It took a piece 3/8" X 1" X 7-1/2". I requested a down payment of $10.00, as I didn't think the knife was worth much! (found out later, the knife was worth about $150.00) When he came back, I used it as an excuse to talk with some folks who had just come into my stall.

I always talk to people when they come it. This time it went something like this: I said, "Good morning". One of the women said, "Good morning, how are you?" To which I replied, "Just great! I'm doing something I love to do (Turning), getting to talk to nice people, Have wonderful weather (about 75 and a slight breeze) (About this time the knife owner came in), and I now have a chance to hopefully make someone VERY happy!" I handed him the old handles and made some joke about "Dirt UGLY", then showed him his knife. He and they were impressed. So much so, that when he paid me the balance, I noticed an extra $5.00. I tried to hand it back, thinking it was a mistake, stating that he had already paid $10.00, to which he said "Keep it," thanks for doing such a great job!

Sometimes, things can really lift a day. It wasn't the $5.00 itself, but what prompted the act, that made my day! I was floating all day!

Ain't life GRAND!:D :cool: :D

Bruce;)

Don Baer
08-07-2006, 5:31 PM
It's always nice when you have a satisfied customer. Congrat and you did do a fine job.

Bob Noles
08-07-2006, 5:52 PM
Bruce,

Get back down stairs! Who let you out? :D :D

You did an excellent job on those handles. A project that never crossed my mind and now you have provided an wonderful inspiration. I really like the way those turned out. I was just thinking I need a small project to start and this may be just the ticket.

If I mess up can I send you my knife to fix it for me? :eek:

Marty Walsh
08-07-2006, 5:59 PM
Bruce,

You did a really nice job on that knife. I see why the owner was pleased.

I have a knife that I had planned to put handles on once my shop is back open. How did you finish that Cocobolo?

- Marty -

Chris Barton
08-07-2006, 5:59 PM
Great story, great repair and I really like the way in the first shot the figure of the wood looks like and eye! Keep em coming.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 6:07 PM
Finish............................................ ...................................!

Very hard process........................................... .....................!

Long AND drawn out............................................... ................!

Just don't know if I dare tell you how I did it.................................?

OH WELL, You're Creekers and you won't try and sell the "SECRET RECIPE" will you?

Should I REALLY T R U S T you?

OK................................................ ........................................ OK!

Sanded to 4000!

Put the Tripoli wheel on ............................................ HUMMMMMMM,Whistle a little.

Now put on the Wax Wheel..............................Some more humming and whistling.

Wipe down with a cotton rag!

Explain to the customer that all he has to do is USE the knife and wipe it down every once and a while with a VERY little veg oil to clean it.

BEDEEP BDEEP TTTTTTHHAATT"S ALL FOLKS!

This post was ALMOST as fun as makin' the handles!

Bruce

PS: Almost took as long, too!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 6:10 PM
Bob..........................sure................. ....send it to me...................Don't forget.....................................Send A LOT of money, too. This is really hard work! (See the sweat rollin' down my face?)

Marty Walsh
08-07-2006, 6:38 PM
Finish............................................ ...................................!

Very hard process........................................... .....................!

Long AND drawn out............................................... ................!

Just don't know if I dare tell you how I did it.................................?

OH WELL, You're Creekers and you won't try and sell the "SECRET RECIPE" will you?

Should I REALLY T R U S T you?

OK................................................ ........................................ OK!

Sanded to 4000!

Put the Tripoli wheel on ............................................ HUMMMMMMM,Whistle a little.

Now put on the Wax Wheel..............................Some more humming and whistling.

Wipe down with a cotton rag!

Explain to the customer that all he has to do is USE the knife and wipe it down every once and a while with a VERY little veg oil to clean it.

BEDEEP BDEEP TTTTTTHHAATT"S ALL FOLKS!

This post was ALMOST as fun as makin' the handles!

Bruce

PS: Almost took as long, too!

Now that's an answer!

Your finish makes sense though. The oil in one's hand will add to the luster and help protect the wood.

Do I dare ask you another question? Nah... :p

Thanks...
- Marty -

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 7:40 PM
Chicken! Chicken! chicken!

(Had to post it three times. The program said one was NOT ENOUGH!)

Bruce

John Shuk
08-07-2006, 8:50 PM
Nice improvement on that knife Bruce. It is just going to keep getting better as he uses it.

Randy Long
08-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Very nicely done!

Keith Christopher
08-08-2006, 1:20 PM
I think the folks at Bali-song will be looking to hire you Bruce. VERY nicely done. the micarta handles for this knife alone drive the price up by about 70$ the cocobolo is MUCH nicer ! Looks good !