PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry NE

Dick Parr
08-07-2006, 4:53 PM
Here is a piece of the Black Cherry that Mark Cothren brought with him, turned out to be a crotch. This was fun to turn until I started to finish it and then it got kind of flexy out on the ends and was a pain to clean up.

I turned it green on Tuesday, soaked it in DNA overnight and then finished turned it on Thursday and then two days for the finishes. It is holding up really well so far.

It finished out at 14-1/4' x 7-1/2" and is 3/8" thick. It is finished with 2 coats of Minwax Antique Oil and two coats of wipe on poly.

I also cored this blank and got a 10" NE bowl from it.

Thanks for looking

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/DickParr/157_5739Medium.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/DickParr/157_5750Medium.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/DickParr/BlackCherryNE.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/DickParr/BlackCherryNECore.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/DickParr/BlackCherryNECore2.jpg

Travis White
08-07-2006, 5:10 PM
Outstanding! You did a great job! I'd love to turn something like that, I might give it a try now.

Tom Sherman
08-07-2006, 5:20 PM
Dick that is sweet great looking NE

Rich Stewart
08-07-2006, 5:25 PM
Man! That is nice! You really been busy lately. Great job. I think them corers can pay for themselves in no time. Was great to get TWO bowls out of that blank. Which corer do you have? I only have a mini but sometimes i still hate just turning that middle into sawdust. Could ahve a bowl and a candle holder or something out of the same pice of wood.

Jason Christenson
08-07-2006, 5:43 PM
Very nice. One of the better NE's I've seen.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 6:26 PM
Hey Dick, Where's the 12" core?

Just funnin ya.....................Looks GREAT!

Can I borrow your corer? If I get this commission, I'm going to try and get at least one extra bowl from a 16" Maple burl!

Bruce

Travis Stinson
08-07-2006, 6:27 PM
WOW! That's pure eye candy Dick.:)

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2006, 6:32 PM
Beautiful agan Dick. Love the wood. Nice job.

Vaughn McMillan
08-07-2006, 6:44 PM
That's a sweet piece of wood, Dick, and you did a great job with it. Looks like it's got a lot of curl/wavy stuff going on that must be a pleasure to see in person.

- Vaughn

Cecil Arnold
08-07-2006, 6:46 PM
Really nice job Dick.

John Timberlake
08-07-2006, 7:34 PM
Great job. Love the form and the grain. And you got more from the nice piece of wood. Keep it up.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-07-2006, 8:13 PM
Well done Dick! Beautiful NE! So far NEs....are my favorite to turn. Does the antique oil change the color of the wood much?

Ernie Nyvall
08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Beautiful Piece Dick. Just grand.

Jim Ketron
08-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh Yea!
That is just one Beautiful piece of wood!
Awesome work Dick!

Mark Cothren
08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
That is just flat out super, Dick! Love the awesome figure/curl/color in that wood!!! That came from my father-in-law's farm here in Arkansas. I can't wait to show him your pictures!

Corey Hallagan
08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Fantastic Dick. I love that and some great in progress shots!

corey

Raymond Overman
08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Very nice NE Dick. That feather in it is beautiful.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-08-2006, 3:05 AM
Dick, that is just too pretty.

Barry Stratton
08-08-2006, 3:39 AM
GREAT PIECE! I really like the shape, it just flows nicely.

Thanks for the mounted up pictures as well. Really helps a newbie like me.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-08-2006, 5:06 AM
That looks really nice, I find that I'm liking the NE more and more.

Dick, I have a couple of questions for you, if you will indulge me.

A) this is a recess? How much does it go down, and is there a reason you did it that way? Does it make the foot kind of appear taller or something?

B) looks like a signature, and how deep is the indentation in the base?

C) How tall is the foot?

Most of the NE that I have seen (which don't mean much) have just a basic recess for a foot, yours has much more of a foot.

I like the way it looks, I'm just being curious as to the how and way you came to doing it this way.

That wood is just amazing, isn't it nice to be able to release that beauty from inside that hunk of what most would look at as fire wood :D

Cheers!

Keith Burns
08-08-2006, 8:52 AM
This is an outstanding piece of work Dick !!!:) :)

Mike Jory
08-08-2006, 1:33 PM
Dick, that is seriously beautiful work. I'm very glad you included the progress pictures. I love to see what a person started with.

Glenn Hodges
08-08-2006, 3:44 PM
Dick I like cherry, and this NE shows it off so well.

Dick Parr
08-11-2006, 7:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on this one. It was fun and a challenge to do.

Stu, I guess the answer is yes to all your questions.

That looks really nice, I find that I'm liking the NE more and more.

Dick, I have a couple of questions for you, if you will indulge me.

A) this is a recess? How much does it go down, and is there a reason you did it that way? Does it make the foot kind of appear taller or something?

That is a recess around the foot and I used it to make the foot look bigger/deeper then it is.

B) looks like a signature, and how deep is the indentation in the base?

Yes that is my signature and it is only a few thousands deeps. I used a Dremal engraver to make it.

C) How tall is the foot?

The foot is only about 1/4" high, but looks bigger because of the recess around it.

Most of the NE that I have seen (which don't mean much) have just a basic recess for a foot, yours has much more of a foot.

Since getting the vacuum chuck, I now have the freedom to do whatever I want to with the foot. I like to do more then just a recess or foot on the bottoms when I have the material to do it. I personally think it dresses it up a little, a kind of wow factor when someone turns the bowl over. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.;)

I like the way it looks, I'm just being curious as to the how and way you came to doing it this way.

That wood is just amazing, isn't it nice to be able to release that beauty from inside that hunk of what most would look at as fire wood :D

Cheers!

Thanks again everyone.

Curt Fuller
08-11-2006, 9:26 PM
Man, that is about as pretty as they get. And that's a great photo to be able to really get a good look at it. Very nice!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the answers Dick, pretty much what I thought.

So the vacuum chuck is that nice eh?

Got it on my list of stuff I want to do for sure.

Again, nice piece!

Cheers!