PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Unisaw Top

Doug Murray
08-07-2006, 2:50 PM
I just bought a 1986 Unisaw (at a good price) that has a top in need of repair or replacement and I need advice. The story I got is that someone apparently tried to pick up the Unisaw by the table and cracked the top. The crack is on the rear skirt going up to one corner of the left miter slot. I can't tell if the crack proceeds along the miter slot toward the front but if it does, it doesn't go far. If you place a 12" straight edge along the back of the top with one end at the left rear corner of the table, there seems to be a gap of about 1/32" right around the miter gauge slot. As you move forward toward the middle of the saw, it flattens out.

I can't afford to pay Delta's price for a replacement top. Has anyone had any success fixing something like this?

Doug

Jeff Horton
08-07-2006, 3:26 PM
Post you looking for a top over at Woodnet in the PowerTools section. There is at least one person there whose name escapes me, that buys, sells and refurbishes Unisaws. Odds are he can direct you to a used one if he doesn't have one.

Also try the forum at Lots of Unisaws guys there.

Moderator removed direct link to another public forum -- TOS violation

Scott Donley
08-07-2006, 3:35 PM
Don't know if your in the Portland- Seattle area, if you are, do a search on craigslist for the Seattle list. There is someone selling an old Uni for 300 bucks, Might be an option.

Mike Henderson
08-07-2006, 4:12 PM
I don't know what the cost would but a machine shop can weld the crack and grind the top flat. Check the price at a machine shop so you know how it compares before you buy a new top.

Good luck.

Mike

John Lucas
08-07-2006, 5:39 PM
You have some good options. Here is another. Dont fix it. If it isnt causing any portion to stand proud, I doubt if you will notice it from an operational perspective. Get some silver grey filler and fix it with that. It should buy you some time. It the surface is slightly proud, file it down and then patch. You could be in business by end of day tomorrow.

Andy Hoyt
08-07-2006, 6:54 PM
http://www.plazamachinery.com/

Steve Clardy
08-07-2006, 7:59 PM
What about just drilling a hole at the end of the crack to stop further cracking, and use it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-07-2006, 9:30 PM
Find the end of the crack. ( may require magnaflux)
Drill a 1/4' hole at the end and ream it smooth.