PDA

View Full Version : A bittersweet gloat

Joe Fisher
08-07-2006, 2:07 PM
Took delivery of my new MM16 today! Sweet!

The delivery guy couldn't get his truck backed up to my garage and we had to put it in my pickup truck. I'm home alone today and can't get it off the truck. Bitter.

This thing is built like a tank, and I can't wait to play with it! Sweet!

Found a crack in the back of the table. Bitter.

The saga is recorded here:

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/mm.php

-Joe

Fred Woodward
08-07-2006, 2:40 PM
A cracked table!! Ouch!

I just recently picked my new MM16 directly from Mini-Max here in Austin. They loaded it into my truck on it's back, resting on a large sheet of heavy duty cardboard (supplied by me).
To unload it, I stripped off all of the plastic and unloaded the mobility pieces and tool kit, miter bar, etc. Slid the saw out to the end of the tailgate and mounted the wheels.
With the help of a couple of friends we just gently slid it further on the end of the tailgate till the weight tipped it and gently set it down. Stood it upright and moved it into the shop with it's mobility system.

Sorry to hear about the table. I'm sure Mini-Max will quickly take care of your problem. Ouch again.

Aaron Beaver
08-07-2006, 2:42 PM
Congrats on the pickup. Hope they take care of you on the table.

Brian MacDonald
08-07-2006, 2:54 PM
When mine was delivered, the pallet had been broken during shipment. The shipping company had cribbed it up onto another pallet and when the delivery truck came, it was held to the side of the truck with a nylon strap.

No damage to the saw, but when the driver tried to bring it into the shop, the extra height of the second pallet made it too tall for the door. He said, 'Too bad, you're gonna have a heck of a time getting that inside" and drove off (taking out my gatepost and causing about $400 damage). It took me several hours of maneuvering to get it into the shop. I had to sue them to get the damage paid for.

It's a shame about the table, but I'm sure MiniMax will have a replacement to you quickly. And wait till you get to use the saw, you're gonna love it!!:D

Joe Fisher
08-07-2006, 3:01 PM
Yep, I'm not concerned; I'm sure they'll take care of me. I've sent the picture to Sam at MiniMax so he can look at it.

I just wanna get it up and running! I wish I didn't feel so crappy today. Of course I come down with a flu on the weekend I'm getting my new saw :(

-Joe

Joe Fisher
08-07-2006, 9:00 PM
WOOHOO! It's on the floor. My hands have almost stopped shaking.

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/mm/mm_landed.jpg

Not much more eerie than watching the $2300 dangle from your ceiling on a harness you whipped together from rock climbing equipment, while your neighbors gently lower it to the floor.

-Joe

Don Baer
08-07-2006, 9:08 PM
Super Joe,
I'm shure your gonna love the saw.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-07-2006, 9:28 PM
Not much more eerie than watching the $2300 dangle from your ceiling on a harness you whipped together from rock climbing equipment, while your neighbors gently lower it to the floor.

Awww you know that 1" webbing can take 5000 pounds.

Joe Fisher
08-07-2006, 9:33 PM
Awww you know that 1" webbing can take 5000 pounds.
I do, and I kept telling myself that as I pulled the saw off my tailgate. Just like I tell myself that when I'm dangling from the same webbing a coupla hundred feet in the air.

It doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking, in either situation ;)

-Joe

Bruce Page
08-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Joe, you’re going to love the MM! Judging from your pic, it looks like a casting impurity in the table apron. I’m sure that MiniMax will take care of you, to your liking.

Congrats!

Bruce Page
08-07-2006, 10:59 PM
I do, and I kept telling myself that as I pulled the saw off my tailgate. Just like I tell myself that when I'm dangling from the same webbing a coupla hundred feet in the air.

It doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking, in either situation ;)

-Joe
Joe, make sure that you do a close inspection of the webbing before you do any more dangling! :eek: :eek:

Jim Becker
08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Congratulations, Joe!! And Sam will surely take good care of you. He's good people!

Corey Hallagan
08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Congrats on the great new equipment. Hope all goes well on the table.

Corey

Joe Fisher
08-08-2006, 8:28 AM
Joe, you’re going to love the MM! Judging from your pic, it looks like a casting impurity in the table apron. I’m sure that MiniMax will take care of you, to your liking.

Congrats!
Nice hat :)

It does seem to go thru the other side and is covered by the paint. Sam suggested I mark the top of the crack and see if it gets any worse. If it's something that's not going to affect my work, I'm not going to worry about it.

-Joe

Joe Fisher
08-08-2006, 8:29 AM
Oh, and I hate the "mobility kit". It tried to kill me, and is a royal pain to use, and my floors are very smooth.

-Joe

Cecil Arnold
08-08-2006, 6:04 PM
Joe, see Bruce's thread on replacing the mobility kit, most folks don't like it.

Bruce Page
08-08-2006, 9:03 PM
Nice hat :)

It does seem to go thru the other side and is covered by the paint. Sam suggested I mark the top of the crack and see if it gets any worse. If it's something that's not going to affect my work, I'm not going to worry about it.

-Joe
I’d be afraid that with a heavy log or board it might get worse in a hurry! MiniMax should replace it.

Bruce Page
08-08-2006, 9:08 PM
Joe, see Bruce's thread on replacing the mobility kit, most folks don't like it.

Joe, here’s the thread that Cecil mentioned.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10507