PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on headboard construction

Michael Merrill
08-07-2006, 1:41 PM
I'd like to get a few thoughts before I start on the construction of my maple headboard. I've included a drawing of what my design is for this piece.

http://home.comcast.net/~sm.merrill/Posted_photos/SawMillCreek/headboard_1.jpg

This design is to match some existing furniture we have. The sets of 3 squares is repeated on our other pieces. I figured that as I created this panel that is overall about 17", that I would just build the panel with the cut-out sections during the glue up maybe using dowels as they might not be large enough for bisquits? The main joints I figured would be like the complete footboard which is mortice and tenon that I round over the tennon to match the router cut mortice.

Also, I have a side view of the headboard leg

http://home.comcast.net/~sm.merrill/Posted_photos/SawMillCreek/headboard_2.jpg

The leg piece is a slight taper and angle back as to not just be straight.

Any great ideas on how to cut this piece? I thought maybe to cut a template the route with a pattern bit? Bandsaw might work using the jointer afterwards to finish the areas that can accessed but the angle on the back prevent getting to al the area.

Lars Thomas
08-07-2006, 2:28 PM
Three options come to mind. First do the glue up with waxed squares. The glue won’t stick (well) to them, so once dry, you can knock them out. Or second, glue up a solid head-board and cut out the squares with a jigsaw and/or a router with template. The router will leave rounded corners which will need to be cleaned up by hand. Or third, be real careful in doing the glue up and leave the openings. You might want to use tape on the surfaces that shouldn’t get any glue.

I think I would go for option 3, but any of them will certainly work. If you chose option 1 or 2, make sure you don’t put any biscuits where the cut-outs will be (DAMHIKT).

Edit: Opps, sorry, I focused on the wrong part of your question. Yes, cut them with a bandsaw and cleanup with a router/template. Remember, you have a left and a right - make sure you have the grain facing the way you want it.

John Timberlake
08-07-2006, 7:52 PM
I would cut the legs on a bandsaw and clean up with hand plane. But a router would do well with a template after cutting on the bandsaw. Personally, I would make the legs a curve instead of an angle, but that is just my view.

The main part of the head board would work well by cutting a strip out of the main part and then cross cutting to create the opening by taking a portion out. That way the grain will match.

If you are using solid wood, you will have to be really careful not to cause cracking. You will be glue a very large piece cross grain. If it is plywood, you should be alright.

Michael Merrill
08-08-2006, 9:56 AM
I would cut the legs on a bandsaw and clean up with hand plane. But a router would do well with a template after cutting on the bandsaw. Personally, I would make the legs a curve instead of an angle, but that is just my view.

The main part of the head board would work well by cutting a strip out of the main part and then cross cutting to create the opening by taking a portion out. That way the grain will match.

If you are using solid wood, you will have to be really careful not to cause cracking. You will be glue a very large piece cross grain. If it is plywood, you should be alright.
I'm using solid maple, the headboard panel is made from 4/4 and the legs from 8/4 combined witha piece of 4/4 to get the thickness I want. Not sure what exactly you mean when you cracking????

I understand the idea for a urved leg but this piece is to match an existing bedroom set that is more contemporary with straight lines and angles so the curved leg would not fit in.

On the legs I'm going the route of the template with a router clean-up.