PDA

View Full Version : Half lap dovetail...or???

Mark Singer
08-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I think this would be a good joint to use for a tutorial....It is decorative and useful in frame joinery and cabinets...it can also be cut as a "Blind" joint where the lap stops short of the second piece...
Is there interest in this one? I can make it as a tutorial this week or I can do a different one?

Don Baer
08-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Mark,
I realy enjoy all of your tutorials so yes I would like to see this one also.

Mike Wenzloff
08-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Mark--always interested in what you write. Ok, honesty time as long as I wrote in the other thread too. I am nearly always interested <g>.

I use these joints to tie cabinets together for the long spans on say a credenza, as well as fixing the panels on the backs of say bookshelves when more than one panel is used. Holds the sides and the panels.

So they and their creation is of interest. Always looking for ways to speed things up!

Take care, Mike

Lars Thomas
08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Mark, keep em coming. Lars

Julio Navarro
08-07-2006, 1:00 PM
absolutely, please, and lots of hands on pics.

Mark Singer
08-07-2006, 1:18 PM
This joint can be made in a number of ways....I will avoid the all hand tool method since it is more difficult...I may do a mix of hand saw , router and chisel...which is a good balance... I feel the most important thing is to have a variety of joint that you are all comfortable making and then you can pick the proper one or you even have a variety of joints to chose from....if someone really wants the all hand tool method I can describe a couple of options.

glenn bradley
08-07-2006, 1:20 PM
Bring on the hand / power combo method. TIA!

Tom Jones III
08-07-2006, 1:52 PM
I'm interested, especially if the tutorial helps me figure out why mine look like they were made by a kindergarten class drinking mountain dew.

John Timberlake
08-07-2006, 2:03 PM
Sounds good to me. Always enjoy your instructions and comments. This joint is useful for drawer dividers, just a little deeper.

Mike Wenzloff
08-07-2006, 4:59 PM
Whether entirely by power or a mix, it doesn't matter to me. Most of the time I have used 'em it has been in a commission, which I then use a blended approach. But I also know how to "translate" one method or technique to my desired situation.

Seems most of the error of lap joints in general come about at the marking stage. So at least that will be done entirely by hand <g>. The socket is the other main source of error.

Cutting the tail is quick whether via by hand or machine and is easily translated from method to method.

Looking forward to it...Mike

Brian Buckley
08-07-2006, 6:52 PM
Mark,
I enjoy your tutorials. I just spent two weeks in England working on dovetails with David Charlesworth. Please continue to share your indepth knowledge.

Brian

Mark Singer
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Mark,
I enjoy your tutorials. I just spent two weeks in England working on dovetails with David Charlesworth. Please continue to share your indepth knowledge.

Brian

That sounds like a great experience....I enjoy his books and his practical approach...