PDA

View Full Version : Putting new face on Bailey No5

Don Morris
08-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I have 4 slabs of plate glass with Klingspor's adhesive backed sand paper ranging from #80 up to put a new face on some old Stanley's and Bailey's I inherited. The No5 has the most uneven surface and I've been at it for a while. The #80 adhesive backed sand paper surface isn't smooth but isn't as rough as when I originally unrolled it. The question is: when do know to change it and put new stuff on?

Ian Gillis
08-07-2006, 10:49 AM
You can switch to the next grit once you've flattened the entire face. How to tell ? Well, machinists' dye applied before you start is one way, but otherwise you check visually until you see uniform scratches over the entire face.

Alan Turner
08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Don,
When the paper no longer feels sharp is when I change it. Be sure to keep the swarf brushed out (if using dry) or rinsed with water, if going wet. For a first step, you might try drywall screen as the swarf drops through the grid, and thus the speed of cutting is pretty quick.

Don Morris
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I haven't switched to the next grit. I haven't completely flattened the face. Took the Woodcraft course in "Sharpening you handplane". Understand the Scary Sharp method "fairly well". But experience is what I lack. I hate to waste time going back and forth with the No5 on paper that I should have changed an hour ago. On the otherhand, I don't want to throw away good paper just because I'm too anxious. I've spent a 1/2 hour on the paper that is on there now and it certainly doesn't feel "sharp". So I'm going to change it. I know my Father-in-law from whom I inherited these planes is looking down and smiling knowing I'm taking good care of them. He was a Swedish cabinet maker and saved projects for him when he visited. Learned a lot. Too bad I moved around in my career and was never close enough to learn more. My son lives close and he and I enjoy using hand planes in my shop when it is obvious they would be easier to solve a problem than setting up a machine. Thanks for the input guys!

Tyler Howell
08-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Peal it off then scrap it clean with a SE razor blade.
WD 40 will help cut the goo.
Some say (me too) to leave the frog in place while you're lapping.
Stablizes the plane so you ge a true. fininsh.

Don Morris
08-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Took a break to make custom Red Oak floor riser while waiting for any other replies (LOML didn't like metal edge the carpet people used). FYI: When you move a door in room with wall-to-wall carpet, there isn't a whole lot of carpet to play with at the new door site (don't ask me how I know that). And LOML knowing you claim to be a wwer will demand you fix it with something that "looks nicer than a crappy piece of metal".

The last reply will save time when I change the paper. Thanks!