PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT16 HD & MM16

Paul Kinneberg
08-07-2006, 9:17 AM
I have spent the last year bulding and finishing the inside of my 1100 sq ft shop. Now I am starting to upgrade a couple of tools one of which is my Delta 14" bandsaw. I am attending IWF at the end of the month and will be purchasing either a MM16 or a Laguna LT16 HD. Prior to making this decision I have a couple questions that I can't answer by looking at the machines and this is where you all come in. My three questions are these:

What is your experience with the supplied dust collection on these saws, pro's con's? I have a Oneida Dust Gorilla 3HP collector.

I only want to have one saw will I be happy using a 1/4" blade on these saws?

In relation to question two, which saw has easier/ quicker blade change and alignment capabilities?

Thanks in advance for your help. I know that both these saws are of solid quality from reputable companies and I will be happy with either. :)

tod evans
08-07-2006, 9:27 AM
paul, welcome to smc! i have an old style mm16 that spends its life with a 1/4" blade on it and am very happy with its performance, i can stand an 8" piece of oak on edge and cut 3/4" dowels that are true from one end to the other......being as this is my "scroller" i move it around as necessarry and don`t have it hooked to the dust collection so can`t help you there. ..02 tod

Chris Barton
08-07-2006, 10:51 AM
I have spent the last year bulding and finishing the inside of my 1100 sq ft shop. Now I am starting to upgrade a couple of tools one of which is my Delta 14" bandsaw. I am attending IWF at the end of the month and will be purchasing either a MM16 or a Laguna LT16 HD. Prior to making this decision I have a couple questions that I can't answer by looking at the machines and this is where you all come in. My three questions are these:

What is your experience with the supplied dust collection on these saws, pro's con's? I have a Oneida Dust Gorilla 3HP collector.

Hi Paul, I have the Laguna 16HD and the dust collection is what I would call fair. Bandsaws are probably the biggest dust generators in a shop.

I only want to have one saw will I be happy using a 1/4" blade on these saws?

I have run 1/4" blade on mine with no problem and changing blades is not an issue but, if you are going to keep the Delta why not put a 1/4" blade on it and keep it there and equip the other with a 1/2-3/4" blade for all other applications? This is what I have done and I regularly resaw boards over 12" wide with a 1/2" blade on my Laguna.

In relation to question two, which saw has easier/ quicker blade change and alignment capabilities?

I can't answer that since I really have limited experience with the MM.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know that both these saws are of solid quality from reputable companies and I will be happy with either. :)[/quote]

Cecil Arnold
08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Paul, first, welcome to the creek. I have a MM16 and completely agree with Chris, bandsaws are pretty good dust generators. I have only one dc port on my saw and am contemplating cutting another when I get my cyclone in (currently using a Jet 1100). Using a 1/4" blade has not been a problem. Having looked at both saws, my guess is that blade changes would be about the same for each.

Brian Triplett
08-07-2006, 12:22 PM
paul,

I have the Laguna LT16 and it has been a great addition to my shop. The dust collection is pretty good, it has two ports one right under the table and the other down at the bottom wheel. The one under the table catches maybe 85% or better. The blade changing is easy with their cermaic (sp?) guides, just move them right up to the blade and your done. I have not used the MM but I have heard nothing but good comments on the MM16. maybe call each company and see about shipping dates. Good Luck.

Mike Wilkins
08-07-2006, 2:11 PM
I have had a LT18 since August 2001, which I got to replace a Delta 14" BS. I did not have the luxury of keeping the Delta for the scrolly stuff. But the LT has no problem using 1/4 or wider blades. Dust collection is just OK, as band
saws are difficult machines to keep dust-free. It would be great to have another dust collection port closer to the lower guides to catch dust just after the cut is made, but I still have no regrets getting this machine.
I do not have any experience with the MM line of machines; just happy with my LT. Good luck and watch those fingers.

scott spencer
08-07-2006, 2:38 PM
I know very little about the Laguna, but have run the MM16 a few times, and watched a friend go through the decision process. The MM16 is a nicely made machine, but it's the incredible customer service before, during, and after the sale that would convince me to buy one without hesitation. First class operation.

Dennis Peacock
08-07-2006, 7:43 PM
Paul,

I have the LT16HD and have used it a lot. The only thing I do not like and the Launga saw is the European style guides on it. I've seen the adds for the ceramic guides, but at $250 I don't think so. I'm saving my pennies to replace the guides with the new guides from Carter Products. I can accept the fact that the Carter guides are $150 and would be easier to deal with than the standard guides that came with the saw. Other than that, it's been a great saw. Sure wish I had Tod's big MM bandaw though. :p :rolleyes: :D

Chris Barton
08-07-2006, 8:44 PM
Just an aside, all new LT16HD have ceramic guides. Only those sold as "Classic" or used have the European guides.

John Shuk
08-07-2006, 8:46 PM
I have an LT16. It has alot of power and is heavily built. I personally don't much care for the ceramic guides. I think there are a little fussy and a bit of a pain to adjust. They get easier after time but... I can't say that they are worth the extra money they build into the cost. My experience with Laguna hasn't been too positve really. I never found them willing to do much for me when I had a problem. This is contrary to what I've often heard about their service but I've found others who have had the same issues. I don't own a MM so I can't speak about them.

Paul B. Cresti
08-07-2006, 9:00 PM
Hey another Paul! Nice to meet you and welcome to a very friendly helpful place.

Well add me to the MiniMax camp. I use to own an Agazzani B-24 which I felt was better then the Laguna (made by ACM of Italy whom also makes them for Wilke/Bridgewood and Felder). I recently sold my B-24 and purchased a 7.5hp 3ph MM24....it is a beast of a machine and serves me well. All bandsaws from Italy are quite good, some have small differences here or there, some have fancier paint jobs and some like the MM's (made by Centauro) are just plain tanks. In my own measuring and research I can say that I do beleive the MM saws are the heaviest duty of the Italian saws that I am aware of. I can also first hand vouch for a great group of gals & guys at the MM.

Randy Gillard
08-08-2006, 9:42 AM
I have the older (12" resaw) version of the Minimax. It is actually a European model relabelled for sale in Canada as an S400P, but identical to the 2004 version of the MM16 sold in the States.

I love it. It runs a 1/4" blade no problem. The dust collection is not bad, way better than the 14" it replaced.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/hrgillard/Minimax/DSC01162.jpg

nic obie
08-08-2006, 2:31 PM
Paul,

I'm saving my pennies to replace the guides with the new guides from Carter Products. I can accept the fact that the Carter guides are $150 and would be easier to deal with than the standard guides that came with the saw.

Dennis,

By chance do you have a link or the model # of the Carter guides you are thinking of switching to.

nic

tod evans
08-08-2006, 4:31 PM
try these guys...per lou sansone.
i don`t own any yet but if mine give up the ghost these are the replacements...02 tod

http://www.paddocktool.com/home.html

Jim Andrew
08-08-2006, 11:45 PM
For what it's worth, the salesman from MM told me you could run my MM 16 two shifts a day and it would last 30 years. Don't know if I really need
that good a bandsaw, but didn't want to have to sell one I didn't like and
buy a different one. And the thing runs so smooth I can't believe it's a
bandsaw. Jim