PDA

View Full Version : Plastic dust bag replacement?

Al Willits
08-07-2006, 8:41 AM
I see with the quickness that the bottom dust bag of my JDS Dust Force gets filled and the required steps to remove, empty and replace this bag, that its lifespan is limited.
What if any,are you guys/gals using instead of the standard bag which seems to be about $8 a pop.

Al

Fred Woodward
08-07-2006, 9:00 AM
Might try setting up a two stage system where the chips and large debris goes to a trash can before going to the impeller. Sure saves a lot of emptying the main catch bag on the DC.

Charlie Plesums
08-07-2006, 9:11 AM
I use a trash can separator on my jointer/planer which keeps the high bulk out of the dust collector bag, and also keeps fairly clean chips that some people use for flower bed mulch or animal bedding. (Note that walnut chips will not allow seeds to germinate, which is an advantage in some flower guardens such as roses - I have a waiting list for my walnut shavings). The separator does reduce the suction, but dropping the chips early in the process (right next to the jointer/planer) seems to make up for the loss.

For the dust collector bottom bag, I use "construction site clean-up bags" that I get at the borg...they are far thicker than ordinary plastic trash bags, but not as thick (and far less expensive) than the special dust collector bags. I have never had a problem with them "blowing out" but they are not heavy enough to empty and reuse as I did occasionally with the heavy dust collector bags.

Kent Fitzgerald
08-07-2006, 9:21 AM
These should fit. Much cheaper and good quality in my experience:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dcpb740.html

Al Willits
08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
10 bags for $22 is something I can live with, thanks.

I had planned on using a seperator at first, but trying to keep all this mobile has made it difficult.
The little shebeast and I have disscused this, and as soon as the wounds heals, I'm gonna try and arrange the garage/shop so the jointer/planer/tablesaw can sit in one spot somewhat permantely, then seperator will work much more easily, thanks.

Or at least that's what I have planned today...:)

Al

PS...I'll try the contractor bags too, already have a few of them..thanks

Brad Townsend
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
For the dust collector bottom bag, I use "construction site clean-up bags" that I get at the borg...they are far thicker than ordinary plastic trash bags, but not as thick (and far less expensive) than the special dust collector bags. I have never had a problem with them "blowing out" but they are not heavy enough to empty and reuse as I did occasionally with the heavy dust collector bags.
I do too. They work fine. Maybe they aren't heavy enough to be reusable, but at the cost, you don't need to. And anyway, who wants to fool around emptying out a bag of sawdust.

glenn bradley
08-07-2006, 1:37 PM
I second Charlie's post. I pay a "CFM tax" for the seperator but gate it to the jointer and planer only. The tax is worth the increased interval between bag emtyings (is that a word?).