PDA

View Full Version : Friend's ex-wife's aircraft accident

Dave Richards
08-07-2006, 8:01 AM
This was sent to me by my friend and former CFI. I laughed anyway.

"My Good friend in East Tennessee sent this to me today. I thought I would pass it on.
Some of you may know my ex-wife, Jan. She had started taking flying lessons about the time our divorce started (2001) and she got her license shortly before our divorce was settled (2002). Yesterday afternoon, she narrowly escaped injury in the aircraft she was piloting when she was forced to make an emergency landing in Southern Tennessee because of bad weather. Some could call it a crash; an accident at the least. Our kids were with me at the Beach House this weekend so thankfully they are unscathed.

National Transportation Safety Board officials have issued a preliminary determination citing "pilot error" contributed to the accident. Jan was flying a single engine aircraft (a basic model, at best) in IFR (instrument flight rules) conditions while only having obtained a VFR (visual flight rules) rules. I have attached a photo of the crash site."

Crash Site (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/untitled.jpg)

Lee DeRaud
08-07-2006, 11:11 AM
:D :eek:

Read a USAF trainee accident report many years ago...F89 landing on wet runway:

"Drag chute failed to deploy. Upon applying brakes, main landing gear wheels locked. Aircraft turned sideways, slid off end of runway, through a fence, over a ditch, across a public road, over another ditch, and collided with utility pole. At this point, pilot lost control of the aircraft."

Carl Eyman
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Dave, please explain the picture. I can't make out what the broom is resting on. Is the long shiny object the trailing edge of the wing?

Tyler Howell
08-07-2006, 11:55 AM
My X flies the same model:p :p.

Dave Richards
08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Carl, my apologies for the small photo. The broom is resting on a low stone wall.

skip coyne
08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
got to admit you had me going :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 7:16 PM
Dave......................................You, SIR, ARE B A DDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

Bruce;)

Truthful, but BAD!

Jim O'Dell
08-07-2006, 8:03 PM
Must be a young one. Rides one of them new fangled brooms! Jim.

Dennis Peacock
08-07-2006, 8:08 PM
Must be a young one. Rides one of them new fangled brooms! Jim.

It is....it's an all synthetic model. Lighter in weight to try and get more power per bristle than the standard wooden model. :p

Vaughn McMillan
08-07-2006, 8:49 PM
I was literally laughing out loud when I saw the pic, Dave. I must apologize in advance for stealing your idea (and picture) to post a similar thread in a little air travel forum I visit frequently. :p

- Vaughn

Dave Richards
08-08-2006, 8:25 AM
It is....it's an all synthetic model. Lighter in weight to try and get more power per bristle than the standard wooden model. :p

Composites are the new thing in aviation, you know.

Bruce, :D

Vaughn, no worries about passing it on. Like I said, I got it from a friend. ;)

Rich Konopka
08-09-2006, 3:51 PM
ROTFLOL ! :p

Good one Dave !!

Jack Hogoboom
08-11-2006, 8:21 PM
Man,

I needed that BADLY. Had a MAJOR run-in with my ex this morning. This will make it a little easier to sleep tonight.

Thanks for a much-needed laugh....:D

Randy Moore
08-12-2006, 8:31 AM
Dave,

Your friends ex is related to both of my EX's. I think both of my ex's was high up in the control process. They both were a MAJOR PITA.