PDA

View Full Version : Heading out west for a few weeks of cruising.

Tyler Howell
08-07-2006, 5:56 AM
Heading out west for a few weeks of cruising.
Seattle to Vancouver Island via ferry, train to Comax where we pick up our boats then 2 weeks of water works. Any must see points of interest beside the spectacular scenery:confused:
I've been to Bouchard (SP?) Gardens already:cool: .

Carl Eyman
08-07-2006, 8:01 AM
Tyler, I can't tell you the points of interest, but if you'll take me with you, I could point them out! I've always wanted to sail that area, but my sailing partner said it'd be too cold; so we never did. Have a good trip. And remember if the boat tips too much push the tiller toward the boom. (or is it the other way around?)

Carl Eyman
08-07-2006, 8:13 AM
BTW. no pictures it didn't happen

Ken Fitzgerald
08-07-2006, 8:55 AM
Enjoy Tyler!

Jeff Wright
08-07-2006, 9:48 AM
Not sure where Comax is, but I've enjoyed cruising the San Juan Island area, especially liked Lopez Island. Stay safe!

Doug Shepard
08-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Just a word of warning - I've read that guys wearing thongs look like Hors D'Oeurves to Orcas. So stay out of the water while you're wearing that:D .

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
The Provincial Museum near the Empress Hotel is a must see for me everytime I'm in Victoria.

Doug

Cecil Arnold
08-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Tyler, enjoy--and pics!!!

Joe Pelonio
08-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Stop at Duncan, it's been a few years but I think it's on Highway 1 in the Cowichan Valley. There's a good restaurant there called the Pioneer House, and a woodworker would like the log decor. There's also a lot of totems in that area, a nice train to ride, and the world's largest hockey stick. We like to go to the gardens often but also downtown Victoria and the waterfront are fun, and you can go to a pub like the sticky wicket or the Elephant & Castle for a Guinness and some bangers and mash.

Tyler Howell
08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
The Provincial Museum near the Empress Hotel is a must see for me everytime I'm in Victoria.

Doug
Thanks Doug been there done that. It was groovie!!

We docked at the water front for three days last time and took in all the local sites then. Most exciting was navigating the harbor with sea planes landing. Even had high tea at the Empress.
Got the camaras charged and loaded.
Take care.

Art Mulder
08-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Heading out west for a few weeks of cruising.
Seattle to Vancouver Island via ferry, train to Comax where we pick up our boats then 2 weeks of water works. Any must see points of interest beside the spectacular scenery:confused:
I've been to Bouchard (SP?) Gardens already:cool: .

Butchart gardens are nice, but not that exciting to me.

My brother used to live in Comox, when he was stationed at the Forces base up there. So I've been there once, and twice to Victoria.

- downtown Victoria is a lovely place, right on the harbor. Lots of nice restaurants there, and the museum, as someone else noted, is pretty nice also.

- Salt Spring Island is a nice daytrip up from Victoria, take the ferry across from Swartz bay and drive around the island. Lots and lots of different artist-types live there. You'll find carvers, quilters, painters, and so on. There is a small mountain that you can drive up to get a nice view.

- There is also a nice small marine museum in Sidney, which is close to the Ferry's there. Lots of similar touristy places on the road from Victoria north to Courtenay/Comox

- I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that if you turn off the main North/South highway onto the #4, that you'll find Cathedral Grove - which is a nice visit to see large trees. I'd also continue along to Port Alberni - I've never been there, but the inland bay should be cool, and I know a fellow WW'er (hangs out on the two Canadian forums) who lives there.

- Up in Comox you might head inland and drive up the ski hill. No snow, of course, but you get a really nice view back down toward the Straits, and also can do a bit of hiking.

- you'll have to visit the city of Vancouver if you want to visit a Lee Valley Tools store, as there isn't one on the island... :rolleyes:

have a fun and safe trip!
...art

Steve Clardy
08-07-2006, 1:51 PM
Have a good time Tyler!!:)

Karl Laustrup
08-07-2006, 6:25 PM
Did a cruise along the inside passage up to Prince Rupert back in '84. About all I remember is Victoria [Buchart Gardens, Empress Hotel], Prince Rupert and Alert Bay, which is an Indian village on Vancouver Island about 1/2 way up.

Have fun and take pictures bud. Ya know we like pictures. :D :D

Karl