PDA

View Full Version : Starrett Combos and Rulers...

Phil Winn
08-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I am thinking about purchasing either a Starrett or a Brown and Sharpe Square and Rule with both Metric and Imp markings. I am leaning toward the Starrett. I believe the Starrett “dual” is 300mm /11 ¾” and is available two ways:
#31: Side one - 32nds one edge 64th the other edge and Side two- 1/2mm one edge and 1 mm the other edge.
#34: Side one – 32nds one edge and 1/2mm the other edge Side two – 1 mm one edge and 64ths the other edge
1. Thoughts- #31 or #34 ?
2. Which finish on ruler Regular of Satin Chrome?
3. Forged or Cast?
4. The 11 ¾” or 23 ½” or both?
5. Square Head (yes)
6. Center Head-yes or no?
7. Reversible Protractor Head?
Thanks,
Phil

Bruce Page
08-06-2006, 11:49 PM
That is a lot of questions Phil. Suffice to say you can’t go wrong with either the Starrett or the B&S.
To me, it doesn’t make much difference weather the head is forged or cast as long as it is finished ground.
Rule length is important – I would be lost without my 24” Starrett. I was recently looking at the Starrett 36” but at $230 for the blade, I thought I’d wait awhile.
Center & protractor heads are very nice to have when you need them, but I don’t use mine all that often.
Graduations are a personal preference, I work in decimals so all my scales are….decimal. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I much prefer the satin chrome finish.

David Rose
08-07-2006, 2:53 AM
I'm with Bruce. I added the 24" at a substantial cost, the shorter one went on the miter head. I should have gone the satin chrome. Besides being a "bit" easier to read when new, it is MUCH easier to read after carding off rust (on the standard one) a few times!

David

Kent Fitzgerald
08-07-2006, 9:35 AM
I'd advise against inch / metric markings on the same rule. You'll frequently need to flip the combo square over, so whichever units you're using will be inaccessible half the time. Also, if you're using inches primarily, it's nice to have a full 12" rule (as opposed to 11-3/4) so you can measure easily from either end.

I doubt I'd ever use a 24" (or 23-1/2") blade. Anything that size is framing square territory in my shop (plastic drafting trangles are also handy and usually very accurate). In fact, I'd give serious thought to a 6" rather than (or in addition to) a 12" blade.

My combo square came as a 4 piece set. I think I've used the center head and protractor head once each. There are better tools for those tasks, IMO.