PDA

View Full Version : Took a Sawzall to my Ash Table :( w/pics

David Eisan
08-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Hello everyone,

Today was not a good day in the shop.

I was going to do the final glue up on my table today. I stood one sub assembly of legs on my bench and was about to dry fit the long aprons with the drawer runner into the legs. This is what it looked like,

Notice how the skirt is a little narrow....

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/screwedupashtable1.jpg

Opps, looks like I measured between the legs for the drawer runners whereas I should have slipped the long aprons into the tennons and measured between those for the length of the drawer runner.

Hmmmm.... What to do.

Sawzall time!

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/screwedupashtable2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/screwedupashtable3.jpg

Hack out the runners with the sawzall. Since the runners were attached to the long aprons with double biscuits, it wasn't hard to chisel apart the joint and pare it flush to the apron.

I have it all cleaned up and now I have to remake the parts I cut out, 'cept this time, a little longer ;).

Oh well,

David

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine I'm him.

Jim Becker
08-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey, look at the bright side...you got to use another power tool!! (Stuff happens. Fortuately, there is always a way or three to fix it...)

Allen Bookout
08-07-2006, 12:10 AM
How in the world do you stay so calm?

When I do something like that I not only have to fix the problem but I have to fix whichever window the first thing that I threw went through. You think I'm kidding? None of the scratches on my tools came from proper use. At least I have enough control to try to throw inexpensive tools.

I need to take lessons from you.

Allen

David Rose
08-07-2006, 2:50 AM
Who'd ever thunk it...? A Sawzall for fine woodworking... :D

David

Tony Falotico
08-07-2006, 6:11 AM
Don't feel bad at all David, I too spent a good part of yesterday 'Undoing' what I done the week before............ :o :o

Ron Blaise
08-07-2006, 6:52 AM
of "I sawed that board 3 times and it's still too short!" Join the crowd David. I think most of us have already been there, done that so don't feel badly. You learned something. :o

Al Willits
08-07-2006, 8:29 AM
As long as ya can fix it, all is well.

Always wondered what them funny blades for my saws-all were for...wood huh...neat.. :)

Rarely would I get PO'd enough to throw a tool, but it happened once in a great while, that stopped when I tossed a combination box/open end wench out the garage door...and into the back window of a then new Jeep Cherokee.

Now I just swear at the tool and call it "Bad tool" that usually brings it all back into the proper perspective.

Al

Julio Navarro
08-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Just dont ask me what the dents and cracks in my concrete floor are from:mad::eek::o:(

Larry Fox
08-07-2006, 2:04 PM
You are not alone.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40176

Brett Baldwin
08-07-2006, 2:33 PM
I must have accidently borrowed your tape measure Saturday when I was cutting the sides for the box I'm making. Somehow cutting a 9" piece in half gave me a 4" and a 4 1/2" pieces. I'm not sure where the the other 3/8" went (lost 1/8" to the cut) but I do know I'll be deviating from the plan's dimensions for the rest of this project.

Dennis Peacock
08-07-2006, 7:45 PM
Who'd ever thunk it...? A Sawzall for fine woodworking... :D

David

Yup, and before ya know it? He'll be cutting through dovetails with that baby. :p :D

Robert Mickley
08-07-2006, 11:25 PM
must be contaigous today, I cut 8 pieces for the face frames of a wall unit 4 inches two short :rolleyes: but i caught it before I put it all together

Michael Adelong
08-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Ok... Ya'll convinced me... Drink beer tonight. Stay out of the shop.

Thanks for the heads up on the "Friday the 13th of woodworking". Someone wanna let me know when it is over?

Michael

David Rose
08-09-2006, 1:23 AM
Wow! Neat idea! I've got this really fine tooth blade... :D ;)

David

Yup, and before ya know it? He'll be cutting through dovetails with that baby. :p :D