PDA

View Full Version : NE Silkwood

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2006, 9:18 PM
Here is my first roughed out NE. It is Silkwood from Dave Smith. It took me a little bit to figure how to turn it. When you hit the top edge it was like a jack hammer. Also when I got closer to the edge when doing the inside same thing. I did two of them today. One launched and lost half the bark. So will ebonize the rim or burn the rim and then finish it. Both are 6" across and 3 1/2" high. Both are in the DNA bath soaking now.

I also have a question. When putting this back on the lathe after drying what speed should a guy turn the inside at? Same for outside? Also any tips to make it easier when out around the tips? I have two cherry NE blanks waiting to turn but wanted some help first. Thanks.

Barry Stratton
08-06-2006, 9:35 PM
YOU GO DUDE!!!!! Looking good Bernie.

As for the speed to turn.....more than 500 and less that 1200......... but what do I know, I'm a rookie..........

Corey Hallagan
08-06-2006, 9:53 PM
You did good Bernie. I am not a bowl turner and the thought of one of those things coming off the lathe just scares the H out of me. I expect these will turn out just fine Bernie!

corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Bernie..........nice rough out! In my limited experience there's 2 things I found that help me....One if in doubt...stop and sharpen the tool....2ndly and maybe someone with more experience will correct me.....When I'm start on the inside, I end up with the handle of the bowl gouge hanging out over the back side of the lathe....I'm taking the bevel and starting it parallel to the side of the bowl as I enter the wood. I hope this makes sense. Just like roughing out, you have to have faith and confidence and just go for it like you normally do. I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck with it!

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks Ken. I think I will turn my headstock for outboard turning and that will make it easier to try your suggestion. I think I may slow it down a little also.

Dave Smith
08-07-2006, 12:50 AM
The correct name is silktree but since you bought it you can call it what ever you want.

Take light cuts. Keep your pressure down on the tool rest and not into the bowl trying to ride the bevel. Move the tool in an arc using your body to move the tool. You will want to be able to look down on the edge of the bowl to see where your tool is compared to bowl. Adjust your lighting until you have a good view of the bowl edge.

Speed is your friend. The faster you can turn the piece the easier it is to cut the edges. Make sure you use a jam chuck to retrue the tenon before starting the finishing process. You want a good grip with the chuck before you make the bowl sound like a propeller. Be comfortable with the speed you are turning but most people turn too slow making the job harder.

If you have any questions when you get ready to finish turn the bowls call me. I talk faster than I tpye.

Dave Smith

Back form Sophie's BBQ in Longview, WA.

Glenn Hodges
08-07-2006, 2:20 AM
Bernie, I have never turned silkwood before, but on all my natural edge bowls I start and finish them in one turning, unless they are so wet they can't take a finish. I have been known to take a heat stripper gun lightly to them to help remove enough moisture to put on a finish. When I get down to the desired thickness if it is thin enough, I use an air hose and blow a lot of moisture from the sides with it. To me a little warp enhances the look of a NE piece. I did use a lot of tung oil mixture finish, but now how switched to lacquer on my natural edge bowls. I don't know if this helps, but it works for me.

Keith Burns
08-07-2006, 8:13 AM
Bernie, nice start, can't wait to see it finished:) :)

Mike Ramsey
08-07-2006, 9:17 AM
That is a nice start! Good job Bernie!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-07-2006, 9:21 AM
Nice looking roughout, Bernie. I've only done one NE, and it was barkless, however I looked at turning near the edges much like I would roughing a spindle. I kept my initial entry into the rotating irregular surface very light, keeping the tool firmly grounded on the rest, and effectively turned air in the "blank" spots.

Hope it helps!

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the comments and help. Dave you are right. Silktree is the name. The LOML keeps calling it silkwood so I typed it. Anyway will give the suggestions a try and see what happens.

George Conklin
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Bern. That wood almost has a mesquite look to it. How was it to turn? Other than the "jack-hammer" effect.

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
George I got the Silktree wood from Dave Smith. It is a nice turning wood. I think the wood itself as a traditional bowl or maybe a lidded box would turn like a dream.

Tom Sherman
08-07-2006, 4:36 PM
Bernie that's lookin good, looking forward to seeing the final product.

Jason Christenson
08-07-2006, 5:47 PM
I did use a lot of tung oil mixture finish, but now how switched to lacquer on my natural edge bowls. I don't know if this helps, but it works for me.

If you don't mind, Glenn, what is your finishing process for NE's?

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 6:22 PM
No sense adding my .02 they got it right.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
08-07-2006, 9:30 PM
Nice going Bernie. Hope we see it when finished.