PDA

View Full Version : Update jet filter-delta DC

Walt Quadrato
02-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Ah, springtime in Connecticut! The bulk of our snow melted over the weekend leaving me with a lot of excess water everywhere. Aside from having to bail out the basement and wet-vac my shop/garage, I had some time this weekend to work on the delta/jet hybrid DC. First off the housing that comes with the Jet canister has a 4” port; the delta is a 6” so I decided to scrap the idea off using the jet housing. Couldn’t see the sense in restricting the flow at the source. Does anyone know if all Jet DC’s have this 4” limitation? As I noted before the diameter is ½ “ smaller on the delta housing, so I took up the minimal slack with a band of rubber weather-strip. Sealed it up nice and tight. As per Mark’s suggestion I dumped my pre-separator and while I was at it I re-fitted all connections, shortened some runs and took out a blast gate. When I switched on the unit I could hear the difference. The long run to the RAS was the one I had open at the time and I could see and hear a noticeable difference in pick-up. I was picking up from the bottom of the shroud and with the canister and no separator it sucked up a few small scraps that were left in the bottom of the run. Ended up turning the shroud upside down, shorter run to the ducting and no curves. Tried out the band saw next, it’s always been the hardest to keep clean. Build up on the lower guides was minimal and dust in the cabinet was non-existent. Couldn’t be happier with that. Planer next and it went without a hitch, no blowback and no clogs in the hood after running some raw pine, oak and cherry. Contractors saw same thing, I could hear the air whistling through the kerf in the throat plate. When I first got the delta DC I used it on one machine at a time and even then the suction wasn’t what it is now. Now I guess I’m looking at the 6’ pipe for the ducting if I can get a decent price. One question for Rick. How do you handle the 4” drop off a 6” pipe? Haven’t seen a 6-4” adaptor at any of the borgs here and don’t really want to mickey mouse something up with duct tape. Still don’t know about the efficiency of the filter. It’ll take a few weeks to see if there’s a difference in standing dust, but as it is I’m happy with the results. thanks for the tips guys..

Dave Arbuckle
02-24-2003, 1:16 PM
Does anyone know if all Jet DC’s have this 4” limitation?

You mean the inlet, Walt? The Jet DC1100 has a 6" inlet, with a dual 4" plastic wye. A lot of people are confused by not realizing the wye comes off.

Your experience with the canister parallels a friend's, who fitted it to his 3hp "no-name". He said it made quite a noise when he first powered it up, as it cleaned leftovers out of the line. ;)

Dave

JayStPeter
02-24-2003, 1:32 PM
I believe the Jet DC's have a 6" inlet and 5" outlet on the blower. So, if you're talking about the "inlet" to the baghouse, I believe it is 5" on the Jet.
Does your Delta use 20" bags? If so, my understanding is the cartridge should fit on the Delta housing. I could be wrong though.

Jay St. Peter

Walt Quadrato
02-24-2003, 2:00 PM
dave, hi. not the inlet into the system before the impeller but the actual connection between the impeller and the housing that holds the canister and bag. on the delta it's 6" but on the Jet it's 4"..don't know why they'd limit that to 4" but they do.

Dave Arbuckle
02-24-2003, 2:25 PM
I understand now, Walt. I'm pretty sure mine is larger than 4", not sure if it is 5" or 6". Now I'll have to look tonight. ;)

Dave

Bob Lasley
02-24-2003, 2:55 PM
Dave, Walt

Just went out and measured and my 1100 has 5" between the impellar and the bags.

Bob