PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Buy a Router... Please!!

Keith Beck
08-06-2006, 7:48 PM
I've currently got two routers that just aren't getting the job done for me and I'm in the market for new one. I'm looking to the astute folks here for some guidance.

My current routers are:

Ryobi RE180PL - not a bad router, but it's a pain finding accessories for it, like a subbase that will hold PC guide bushings so I can finally use my PC 4212 dovetail jig.

A Craftsman plunge router that I have no idea why I bought. It only has a 1/4" collet, no soft start and it's screamingly loud.

I'm looking to find a router that will serve me well in several aspects. I'm thinking I want one with more than one base so I can keep one base in the router table and use the other for handheld jobs. It therefore, needs to be powerful enough to run larger bits in the router table. Speaking of the router table, I'd really like a router that has above table height adjustment.

I'd also like it to be PC guide bushing ready so I can get to making some dovetails. If it includes accessories like an edge guide and has good dust collection, all the better.

Is there a good router out there that will fit all my needs, available for $300 or less, and that gets your personal stamp of approval? Or am I going to be forced to get two separate routers - one for table use and one for hand-held use?

Some of the routers I've been considering are:

Bosch 1617EVSPKE (looks like a complete package?)
Porter-Cable 895PK (doesn't include an edge guide = more $)
Milwaukee 5625-20 (3 1/2 hp, but only 1 base and no edge guide)Ridgid R2900 (no edge guide - is one even available?)

Have I overlooked any?

It's gotten to the point where I'm analyzing and comparing and contrasting them to death and at this rate, I'll never be able to make a decision. Please help!

Keith

Corey Hallagan
08-06-2006, 8:05 PM
There are losts of good routers out there today. I would also consider the DW 618 PK. Check out Pat Warners the router guys site ( http://www.patwarner.com )for some info and if you email him he will be glad to help you out. He has lots of info. I narrowed it down to the Bosch 1617 and the DW 618 PK's and chose the DW 618 because I like the feel. I would try to test or feel the routers you are considering. There are so many good routers out there that in my opinion you should try them out and get the one you like best.

Corey

Greg Koch
08-06-2006, 8:05 PM
Rockler has the single speed Hitachi KM12SC, with fixed and plunge bases...a set of guides...and a case for $109.99! Should work well with your 4212. This is a sale price, so if you're interested, you might want to give them a call.

I'm looking at it, and I'm not sure the variable speed, at $179 for the same kit, is worth $70...

Then you could get the Bosch for your table and other needs and still be not that much over $300.

Steve Clardy
08-06-2006, 8:06 PM
I prefer the 690 and 7500 series porter cable routers.

scott spencer
08-06-2006, 8:42 PM
Hi Keith - If you think you'd like above table height adjustment, I think you'd love above table bit changes...I know I do. The most table friendly router I've used does not come in kit form. The new Freud FT-1700 is loaded with above table features. It has one handed above table bit changes, an auto collet lock/release, above table height adjustment and lock, and more common features of variable speed, soft start and electronic speed control. At 13 amps, 2-1/4hp it's strong enough to do the occasional panel raising, and will do all other tasks easily, but for lots of raised panels with a 3-1/2" bit, I'd suggest going with a 3hp 15 amp router like the 5625. You can do above table bit changes with the 5625 if the throat opening of your router plate is large enough, but it's definitely easier with the FT-1700. If 2-1/4 hp will suffice, I'd be apt to get the FT-1700 and use it in the table and get an additional small router for hand use, like the PC690 or Hitachi fixed base single speed at ~$85-$120 on sale. I've seen the Hitachi VS kit go near $120 on sale.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BVB1MO.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65935245_.jpg
http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116

http://www.epinions.com/content_245903494788

Doug Shepard
08-06-2006, 8:51 PM
IMHO the edge guides made by the router manufacturers aren't worth much. I don't know that I'd let the inclusion of an edge guide sway your decision. You can probably do a lot better with an after-market edge guide. Maybe they've gotten better (I haven't paid attention lately) but the ones I've seen from the router makers didn't impress me. Just my $0.02.

Allen Bookout
08-06-2006, 8:53 PM
Ridgid R2900 (no edge guide - is one even available?)
Keith
Keith,

I was looking into that router and it is reported that the PC edge guide fits it and also the PC bushings fit it as well.

I have a Milwaukee 5625 in my table and really like it. I also have the Hitachi M 12VC. I bought it just to use with my dovetail jig. It seems like a pretty good little router. Does not appear to be the quality of the Milwaukees but is doing just fine so far. If you got really good sale prices they would not cost you a whole lot over $300 for the pair. On July 7th heavydutytools had the 5625 for $198 delivered and Amazon had the Hitachi for about $100 for a total of right at $300. PC guide bushings fit the Hitachi out of the box.

But wait----you do not have a plunge router if you need one. Another option. You could get the Milwaukee 5625 and the Ridgid with the addition of another hundred bucks and that would give you the plunger also ($400 total plus tax for the Ridgid). If you did not like the idea of the Ridgid you could add the Dewalt 618 kit for even more bucks. On and on it goes. We have all been there haven't we.

Allen

glenn bradley
08-06-2006, 9:31 PM
More info than you wanted probably but the Mil 5625 is great in the table and the 5615 with the palm-grip body works great for the dove tail jig, lotsa control, great balance. This will leave you without a plunge though as neither is offered with one.

My 2HP Ryobi fits in the Turnlock base that has twist in guides. Once aligned, you just swap the guide for the size you need and it stays centered. I agree that finding parts and accessories is a pain with Ryobi but try Dixie Sales. They've got about everything (except the d**m plunge body).

Allen Bookout
08-06-2006, 10:03 PM
the 5615 with the palm-grip body works great for the dove tail jig, lotsa control, great balance.
I have the 5615 also and totaly agree.

I bought a reconditioned DeWalt 621 router and a reconditioned DeWalt 735 planer from ToolKing and they were like new. Sometimes you can save some money and end up with more for less by going that route.

John Michaels
08-07-2006, 2:16 AM
I have a Makita RF1101. Paid $100 for it refurbished. It's very quiet and so far I've been very happy with it.

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=RF1101

Keith Beck
08-08-2006, 8:50 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. It appears that in order to get everything I want/need, I'm going to have to buy two separate routers. Now I just need to convince the missus that I need two more routers.

Keith

tod evans
08-08-2006, 9:06 AM

dito! ......02 tod

Robert Mickley
08-08-2006, 9:40 AM
I use a 690 for handheld work. I let ended up with a Triton for the table and have never looked back.

Hartville hardware has them so you should be able to get them through Hartville tool. I got mine a year ago and if memeory serves me right it was about $50 to $60 dollars cheaper than anything else in its class. It tends to get overlooked or some reason. At some point in the future I'm going to buy another one so I can set for rails and stiles at the same time.

The few things some reviews mark it down for I haven't found to be an issue.

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/TritonRouter/TritonRouterReview.html

John Kain
08-08-2006, 9:47 AM
Rockler has the single speed Hitachi KM12SC, with fixed and plunge bases...a set of guides...and a case for $109.99! Should work well with your 4212. This is a sale price, so if you're interested, you might want to give them a call.

I'm looking at it, and I'm not sure the variable speed, at $179 for the same kit, is worth $70...

Then you could get the Bosch for your table and other needs and still be not that much over $300.

I bought this router basically to reward Hitachi for the M12V fantasmo. I only use it out of the table and couldn't be more pleased. That said, I really have no need for variable speed in such a router, and in a table I think one definately wants variable speed control. But this is a great stand alone out-of-table router with both the plunge and fixed bases, and it includes a ton of template guides.

Keith Beck
08-08-2006, 4:26 PM
I noticed that several of you seem to prefer the PC 690. Any particular reason? Does it have some benefit that some of the other PC routers, such as the 895, don't?

Keith

Keith Beck
08-08-2006, 4:27 PM
I noticed that several of you seem to prefer the PC 690. Any particular reason? Does it have some benefit that some of the other PC routers, such as the 895, don't?

Keith

Brian Hale
08-08-2006, 4:39 PM
Dewalt 618 or the Makita 1101. Both are very nice machines!

Brian :)

Larry Fox
08-08-2006, 4:47 PM

Same here. PC7539 in the table and out for plunging. PC690 for non-plunge hand-held work.

glenn bradley
08-08-2006, 4:48 PM
It's the defacto-standard and from what I understand there is a reason. You'll find the majority of after market jigs, guides, raisers, etc. all seem to fit this router and adapt to everything else. Hmmmm.

BTW, I don't have one but, I respect the opinions of the folks at SMC and a lot of them do.

P.s. I love my Mil 5615 for free hand work. ;-)

tod evans
08-08-2006, 5:08 PM
keith, my opinion of the 800 series p/c routers is that they where designed by some kid trying to justify his existance in the r&d department. the 690 and 7500 series have been on the market for lotsa years. besides cheapening of the switch, pretty much unchanged. they`ve been abused in cabinet shops and on construction jobs and just keep spinnin`. all other router manufacturers offer "p/c compatable" bushings ect. because the p/c is the standard. granted some manufacturers make good routers but only because they have high hopes of infringing on p/c`s market share....02 tod

mike wise
08-08-2006, 5:22 PM
I have one rigid, one bosch, two milwakee, and eight PC routers, and I like the P/C best. I don't not like to change setups, so I buy routers and tables. My wife thinks its an illness, and it might be. I also have one old Craftsman router and I still use it sometimes. I buy thyem for what they do and what I need them for. You just need to find what fits and what you like. Have fun.
Mike

Michael Adelong
08-08-2006, 9:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. It appears that in order to get everything I want/need, I'm going to have to buy two separate routers. Now I just need to convince the missus that I need two more routers.

Keith

Uh... Keith, get it over with. Tell her you need 3.

The Bosch 1617 kit is very nice. I have one and I love it.

The 4212 is a nice jig, but it has a problem (not really). It takes 2 different bits and 2 different bushings to cut one set of tails & pins. If you are doing multiple drawers, etc., it's nice to have 2 PC 690s close by already set up with the proper bits and bushings installed. You'll only need to set the depth on each one once. (Just don't tell the wife that it is possible to cut the tails on all of the pieces, change bits and then cut all of the pins... :rolleyes: )

Michael

Trevor Walsh
11-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Keith

The 890 I got was a pain, the tolerences in the plastic parts for the switches wouldn't move well. It would either not turn on or jam in the on position. The base also jammed with shavings when used in a table. Reordered a replacement 690, never been happier.

Rick Moyer
11-04-2011, 4:24 PM
I'm guessing he got his router; Oh, about five years ago!

Trevor Walsh
11-04-2011, 7:54 PM
I know, but sometimes people still read these things and perspective can help. On the machine research phase I've somtimes gotten to the end of a debate and though "So how did it go?" What did they get, why, and did it suck afterall or not?

Dale Cruea
11-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Keith, I bought the Rigid with both bases. I like it. I had an old PC that bit the dust that had an edge guide with it. I think I had to drill an new hole in the guide and change the screws to 1/4" to get it to work.
Also the height adjustment on the fixed base that sets in an indent on the motor does not hold well when adjusting the height. Either the spring on the catch is not strong enough or just too sloppy.
Not a major problem you just have to hold it in while you adjust upward. Seems to go down pretty well.
All in all it is a good router.
Never put it under a table it is my second router for hand routing.
The fixed base will not take a PC bushing. Looks like the plunge base will. I think you can change the bases.
Comes with 1/2 and 1/4 collets. One wrench bit change.

Ole Anderson
11-05-2011, 7:47 PM
Dedicate a 3 1/4 hp router to your table and get something smaller for hand use. I have a Hitachi M12v in my table, a Dewalt 621 plunge for portable use and a PC laminate trimmer for one handed small edging and roundover jobs. Doing it again, I would look at D handle routers for my midline tool.

Edit: Yea, I bet he has his router by now, and maybe one to replace it. Really old thread. Oops...

Greg Hines, MD
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I have a PC 690 and PC 890, both in combos with fixed and plunge bases. I keep the 890 fixed base permanently in the router table, and usually use the 690 for regular hand held use in any of the bases. I have never had trouble with either of them, except for getting the plunge base to disengage on the 690, as it requires a rap on the barrel nut to loosen it, but it has always been like that.

Doc