PDA

View Full Version : Festool Sander Decision

Dave Avery
09-29-2003, 3:01 PM
All,

Trying to decide between the Rotex RO 150 E grinder, sander, polisher and one of the "normal" ROS'. Does anyone have the 150E? If so, what do you think? Thanks. Dave.

Dave Hammelef
09-29-2003, 3:24 PM
So I am not the only Dave waiting to the last minute to decide what to buy. Furtunetly or unfortunetly I am trying to decide on alot of festool stuff and just cant make up my mind. Definetly getting the Saw/guide/ct22 package Plus a sander (Rotex E150??). Fairly sure I am getting the cordless drill with both attachments. I can,t decide about the router, hole guide kit, jigsaw (not sure what I would use it on), the table system. I think thats all. Hey I got a few more hours to decide.

Dave
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

Christian Aufreiter
09-29-2003, 3:57 PM
All,

Trying to decide between the Rotex RO 150 E grinder, sander, polisher and one of the "normal" ROS'. Does anyone have the 150E? If so, what do you think? Thanks. Dave.

Check out http://www.woodshopdemos.com/ John Lucas works with the Rotex and likes it for sure. You can also find him (and other guys using the Rotex) on the Oak http://theoak.com/cgi-bin/tools1/tools1.pl

As far as I know, some people have at least two Festool ROS's. The Rotex and the ES 150/3 or the ES 125.

Personally, I use the ES 150/3 which is my only sanding tool (apart from a 30 year-old orbital sander attachment for an AEG hammer drill).

Regards,

Christian

Christian Aufreiter
09-29-2003, 4:04 PM
So I am not the only Dave waiting to the last minute to decide what to buy. Furtunetly or unfortunetly I am trying to decide on alot of festool stuff and just cant make up my mind. Definetly getting the Saw/guide/ct22 package Plus a sander (Rotex E150??). Fairly sure I am getting the cordless drill with both attachments. I can,t decide about the router, hole guide kit, jigsaw (not sure what I would use it on), the table system. I think thats all. Hey I got a few more hours to decide.

Dave
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

Have you already figured out the best combo package?
Saw + guide + CT or Rotex + CT or the big package including ATF, guide, OF 1000, MFT, ES 150/3, CT 22???

The drill is excellent. I use the CDD type.

Regards,

Christian

Dave Hammelef
09-29-2003, 4:36 PM
Have you already figured out the best combo package?
Saw + guide + CT or Rotex + CT or the big package including ATF, guide, OF 1000, MFT, ES 150/3, CT 22???

The drill is excellent. I use the CDD type.

Regards,

Christian
The Big package is not included in the 20% discount :( cause its a seasonal promo. The other is close but If I decide on the rotex I will run the numbers. Right now thinking the 150 will work and at half the cost frees up cash for other toys er um tools.

Dave

Christian Aufreiter
09-29-2003, 4:50 PM
The Big package is not included in the 20% discount :( cause its a seasonal promo. The other is close but If I decide on the rotex I will run the numbers. Right now thinking the 150 will work and at half the cost frees up cash for other toys er um tools.

Dave

ES 150/5 or ES 150/3?

Christian

Dave Hammelef
09-29-2003, 5:24 PM
ES 150/5 or ES 150/3?

Christian
Ya that is a good question any suggestions. Leaning toward the 3 thinking that I do alot of cabinet boxes with ply and have a thickness planer to take care of the rough stuff, But really have not decided which one If I do not get the rotex.

Dave

Christian Aufreiter
09-29-2003, 5:33 PM
Hi Dave,

that's a very difficult decision. I'll email you a a powerpoint info about the sanders.
I'd say it depends on your application and on which other tools you have. I think that the finish left by the ES 150/3 is only slightly smoother than the finish of the 150/3. The 150/5 will remove stock a lot faster which can be an advantage but also disadvantage if you sand ply and verneer. Removing stock with the 150/3 takes longer but is, of course, possible.
If you already have a belt sander, I'd go with the ES 150/3. If the ROS will be you're only sanding tool for a very long time, the 150/5 might be a better choice.
Kinda personal thing.

Regards,

Christian

Christian Aufreiter
09-29-2003, 5:36 PM
I'll email you a a powerpoint info about the sanders.

Just found out that you don't show your email address here. If you're interested in the powerpoint info, feel free to email me. (as soon as possible because it's already 23.33 here and I should go to bed).

Christian

Lloyd Robins
09-29-2003, 7:56 PM
I love my 150/5. It does put down a nice finish. It will also get the wood off in a hurry. If you are only getting one you can slow the 150/5 down to take off less wood. From what I have heard of the Rotex, it is a wonderful sander, but not quite as comfortable to use as the 150 series. The extra money can go to another machine. I like my CT Mini also. Get one of the jigsaws if you can. The washer just broke down, so I will have to wait and pay extra for it. Darn it!

Dave Avery
10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
All,

Thanks for your help - particularly Bill Grumbine who took the time to send a couple of lengthy PM's that helped.

I ended up choosing the Rotex because the Rotex/vac package deal, which included 100 sheets of paper, cost the same as the vac + 150 / 5 + paper. I have 30 days to see if I like it, so if it's overkill or too heavy, I can always switch to a 150 model.

Bill, I didn't convince the local "bookkeeper" that the saw and rails were "required". When I mentioned that there was a 20% savings, she repeated my favorite line... "how much do you have to spend to save me 20%". I had to admit that given my current tool situation (pretty good), and the reality that with 3 young kids, my WW time is limited, the saw is not a must-have purchase.

Again, thanks to all. Dave.

Dave Hammelef
10-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Well I went the other way. Since I was getting the Saw and Vac pack. I went with the 150-3 figure if I need more then I will buy the Rotex. and Maybe the package to have an vac for the garage.

Dave

Bill Grumbine
10-02-2003, 12:49 PM
All,

Thanks for your help - particularly Bill Grumbine who took the time to send a couple of lengthy PM's that helped.

I ended up choosing the Rotex because the Rotex/vac package deal, which included 100 sheets of paper, cost the same as the vac + 150 / 5 + paper. I have 30 days to see if I like it, so if it's overkill or too heavy, I can always switch to a 150 model.

Bill, I didn't convince the local "bookkeeper" that the saw and rails were "required". When I mentioned that there was a 20% savings, she repeated my favorite line... "how much do you have to spend to save me 20%". I had to admit that given my current tool situation (pretty good), and the reality that with 3 young kids, my WW time is limited, the saw is not a must-have purchase.

Again, thanks to all. Dave.

Hi Dave

I hear the three kids part. My three take up a huge amount of time, although they are old enough to give me a hand with materials from time to time now. Your favorite line reminds me of one I use on sellers when they tell me the more I buy the more I save. I always ask how much I have to buy to get the stuff for free! That stops them in their tracks. :D

For the rest of you in this thread, I went with the 150-5, using the Tim Taylor rationale of more power! I know it's not really more power, but it is more aggressive, and I figure if I need to do some fine sanding, I can either use fine paper, or haul out my trusty DeWalt 5" sander, which is still a fine machine (but not a Fein machine!).

Bill

Dennis Peacock
10-02-2003, 1:26 PM
The ES150/5 will fill the bill. You can get almost the same finish with fine grit paper on the 150/5 as you would with the ES125 or the ES150/3. The Rotex is a heavier sander, but is well balanced. It's just hard for me to spend that kind of money on a Sander when the ES series sanders are excellent sanders.

Either way, how can you go wrong with a tool from Festool..!!!