PDA

View Full Version : Just finished a project part I

Paul Canaris
08-06-2006, 4:00 PM
Finished the doors to my workshop recently, thought I would share the pictures. . These replaced the roll up garage door that had rotted. Also the doors serve the dual purpose as an advertisement for my retirement business goals of a furniture shop.
It is made with common construction grade southern yellow pine from a BORG. The construction is mortise and tennon throughout using polyurethane glue. The doors each measure 82” by 44” by 2 1/18”. They are finished in five coats of an exterior marine varnish. The glass panels were put in using glued in moldings on one side and pinned in on the other with the glass glazed. The glass is chip glass which is created by drizzling hide glue on plate glass; as the glue dries it chips the surface creating a pattern and a semi diffuse effect. The Stained Glass Panels came from a home in Great Britain that was built in the 1920’s and demolished a few years ago. The hinges are solid brass. The Entry set is a tubular Emtek Arts and Crafts, I think these are sand cast solid brass and the finish is bronze; it has a double lock deadbolt.
I made an oak threshold which received a weather-strip channel and used butyl adhesive weather-stripping elsewhere. The trim molding is my interpretation of A&C. The moldings were painted in traditional A&C tones.
I made a solid oak door buck to support the weight of these.
The trickiest part of the construction involved the lintel, which with the removal of about 30 screws can be taken out. I did this as it adds an additional 12” to the height of the opening to accommodate a forklift on those rare occasions when needed. I learned a lot making these and still don’t know a 10th of what I need to know to make doors properly..:D More photos on next post. Overall I am happy with the outcome.:)

Carl Eyman
08-06-2006, 4:33 PM
Real good job. It'll be a good ad for your business

Ken Garlock
08-06-2006, 5:06 PM
The wood maybe common pine, but the work is uncommonly good.:) I like the design, the craftsmanship, and over all appearance. Good job, Paul.:cool:

Gail O'Rourke
08-06-2006, 6:42 PM
I am a big fan of custom doors...these are gorgeous. They look enormous and heavy. It must have been a bear to hang them. Awesome job, they are delightful to look at.

Randy Long
08-06-2006, 7:06 PM
Nice! I like it!

Paul Canaris
08-06-2006, 7:12 PM
I am a big fan of custom doors...these are gorgeous. They look enormous and heavy. It must have been a bear to hang them. Awesome job, they are delightful to look at.

I'm fortunate in that my son, who is a young adult lives at home. Without his help I would need to be very creative handling things like this.

Paul Canaris
08-06-2006, 7:13 PM
Thanks for the kind comments from all.

John Miliunas
08-06-2006, 7:16 PM
Paul, with doors like that, I'm thinking that furniture "shop" is not appropriate. More like furniture studio or gallery!!! :) Great job! :) :cool: