PDA

View Full Version : Donut Chuck Up-Date

Christopher K. Hartley
08-06-2006, 3:55 PM
That is a knockout Chris! So......did you make your own compression / donut chuck? I did make one and did it a bit different. I really am a bit leery of wing nuts but realize there may be times when they are necessary, so I took a bit different approach. Let me know what you think. It works great.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2006, 3:57 PM
Looks great Chris! Those T-nuts will probably work better than wingnuts! Nice looking compression chuck!

Lee DeRaud
08-06-2006, 5:03 PM
Looks good to me.

One thing I'm curious about: why such a long spigot between the faceplate and the back surface?

Edit: oh never mind. Clearance room for the bolts when it's tightened up all the way, right?

John Miliunas
08-06-2006, 5:56 PM
I have to believe that will work just great, Chris! Good job! :) Think maybe you've inspired me to get off my behind and make one up myself! Gonna' be a while before I can get the vacuum chuck up and running and that would be a great addition. :) :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
08-06-2006, 6:12 PM
Looks good to me.

One thing I'm curious about: why such a long spigot between the faceplate and the back surface?

Edit: oh never mind. Clearance room for the bolts when it's tightened up all the way, right? That's a really good question Lee. On the 1442VSK The motor is mounted behind the headstock but sticks out toward the tail stock of the lathe. With the T-nuts mounted as far out as the are if there is much thread on the shaft of the three bolts that come through the T-Nuts it would slam into the fan shield on the motor. It may look like overkill but I've found the distance is not excessive.:)

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2006, 6:14 PM
Nice chuck Chris. I used the T-nuts on mine also. I like the a lot better than wing nuts. Nice job.

Tom Sherman
08-06-2006, 6:48 PM
Way to think ahead Chris looks good to me.

Lee DeRaud
08-06-2006, 7:06 PM
That's a really good question Lee. On the 1442VSK The motor is mounted behind the headstock but sticks out toward the tail stock of the lathe. With the T-nuts mounted as far out as the are if there is much thread on the shaft of the three bolts that come through the T-Nuts it would slam into the fan shield on the motor. It may look like overkill but I've found the distance is not excessive.:)Ah, didn't notice that motor back there...kinda blended into the background.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-07-2006, 9:01 AM
Good looking setup there, Christopher. Hmm... I think one of those has just been added to my project list. Unfortunately, said list seems to be topped with flatwork just now...

Mike Ramsey
08-07-2006, 9:09 AM
I don't have any problems with wing nuts but rather the bolt heads
spinning in the front are more of a knuckle buster that's why
I use round head bolts and drilled a recess as sometimes when
I'm finishing a bottom I can get close to the front bolts but
I never reach around to the back as I guess subconciously
I know not to!!

Keith Burns
08-07-2006, 9:15 AM
Looks great Chris, nice job !!:) :)