PDA

View Full Version : Would this be kosher?

Bruce Page
08-06-2006, 3:15 PM
I’m building a QSWO case with through mortise & tenon joints. As this thing will be fairly large and heavy, I’m concerned that the glue/tenon joint might fail. Would it be acceptable to pin the tenon with a 3/8” dowel, or am I going to create wood movement problems down the road?

Thanks

Ian Gillis
08-06-2006, 3:32 PM
Hi

That's a long way to bury a dowel in endgrain, but the principle is fine. I realise you said Craftsman style, but if you're worried about the joint you might want to go to a tusk tenon as described by Mark Singer's last tutorial.

If you go with your Plan A, you can do a draw bore. Bore the hole for the dowel first, then insert the tenon, mark the centre of the hole on the tenon with your drillbit. Then remove the tenon again and bore it 1/64 off center - to the stock side. Then you can put a slight taper in your dowel and use it to suck that joint together real tight. I've only used this method through the cheek of a tenon - not nearly so much stock to bore through. A trial in a mockup joint might be in order.

Cheers

Mark Singer
08-06-2006, 3:41 PM
Bruce use the wedged tenon I described and use clamps when gluing....angle the mortice sides. If you are really concerned use an epoxy...with the wedged tenon

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40598&highli

Bruce Page
08-06-2006, 5:29 PM
The pieces are already made so I’m limited as to what I can do.

I don’t think drilling the deep hole for the dowel would be a problem. (middle view)

My first thought was the wedged tenon as Mark suggests but I was worried that the ¾” tenon length wouldn’t give me enough holding power. (right view)