PDA

View Full Version : Leigh FMT

Paul Canaris
08-06-2006, 1:47 PM
I would appreciate input from owners of the leigh FMT jig of any specific experiences you might have. I am wondering what its strengths and limitations are in practical usage situations. In particular I am starting work on a new bedroom set in the arts and crafts style, and this looks like it could allow the work to go quickly.

Larry Crim
08-06-2006, 3:15 PM
Paul
I've had mine a little over a year now and I love it. There are a few limitations you will have to overcome like the learning curve, it took me a while to get it down but now that I have done some I got it down and it is rare that I break out the manual. there are a few others but they are small and easy to overcome with a little thought. I would recommend downloading the manual from thier site and reading it thuroughly. I do a lot of M/T but if I didn't I think I would still opt to for a FMT because when you start adding up what it takes to get a nice mortise machine and a good jig to use on the TS if you opt go that route it still is a large purchase and for the difference in price I really like the FMT its easy to set up once you get the hang of it and small to store.
One thing I would caution is if you do not already have a router with a very accurate and smooth plunge then I would look into getting one. I had the PC but it was not smooth enough for the FMT for me so I went with a Dewalt, I also hear the Bosch have a smooth plunge.
Larry

Jesse Cloud
08-06-2006, 4:37 PM
I've had the FMT for a few years. I like it, but I don't love it. Wind up using it about 50% of the time when I do mortise and tenon.

Strengths:
1. One setup does both mortise and tenon.
2. If you take the time to fiddle with a few test pieces, you can get a perfect fit.
3. Split or double tenons are a snap.
4. Angled tenons, used in chairs for instance, are a snap
5. The user guide and Leigh's technical support are first rate.

Weaknesses:
1. It is pricey.
2. Being router based, it has all the evils that come with routers: loud, messy, IMHO more dangerous than a dedicated mortiser.
3. Dust control is very weak.
4. It takes a lot of fussing to get it set up and calibrated. Probably not worth it for a small number of joints.
5. Even though the machined parts of the jig provide great precision, you still have to pay very close attention when you clamp a piece of stock in to be sure it is square against the fence and set at exactly the right height.

Like most M&T operations, it is essential that your stock is milled very consistently. I wouldn't put this down as a weakness, though, because the same is true of most methods.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Phil Winn
08-06-2006, 9:40 PM
I just purchased the Leigh FMT a few weeks ago--I also purchased a Festool 1400 plunge router because I didn't have one yet (a plunge router that is...) . I did ask a number of members on SMC -including Jesse Cloud, their thoughts....well my thoughts and why I bought it:
1. A benchtop Mortiser costs $300 +/-; FMT $700; free standing $1200+
2. For Tenons, -most need either a TS or another tool $50 to $250
2. The FMT is very well build and designed;
3. Very light 30 lbs and easy to store & transport;others 275 to 500 lbs
4. Once set-up is done, then easy to make many
5. Many M & T options-doubles, angles etc, etc.
6. With FMT, all M & T are rounded...
7. Leigh has GREAT Customer Service and Tech Support.
8. Once you figure-out how to use the FMT, it is easy to use...
9. A good friend of mine has the General Tilt & the PM Floor-he just ordered a FMT from Lee Valley-I am glad that I bought it.
Phil

Randy Ferguson
08-06-2006, 9:52 PM
I recently found out that Leigh will be introducing serveral new templates for the FMT at the IWF, a square tenon, a template that is 90 degrees to the current ones and a template for louvered doors.
I use my fmt constantly.
Randy

Phil Winn
08-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Do you know if the FMT will come with these new templates or will they
be extras/add-ons?
Thanks,
Phil

Carl Hill
08-06-2006, 11:46 PM
I've had my FMT for over a year now and I really like it. Learning curve is easy and the more I use it the more new things I learn to do with it. Great quality and I'm looking forward to the new templates.

David Rose
08-07-2006, 3:03 AM
Phil, I suspect it will be available either way. Or it may remain an add on. Not having a table saw, the FMT is really almost essential for me. I used a horizontal router for some time, but as others mentioned, repeatability of the FMT is great.

I also created a butt hinge plate for mine. Leigh said they would improve my idea and come out with one. I have not seen it listed. It is really handy.

David

Do you know if the FMT will come with these new templates or will they
be extras/add-ons?
Thanks,
Phil

Randy Ferguson
08-07-2006, 9:16 AM
I wouldn't know if the new templates would be included - a guess would say that they will be extra add ons. A call to Leigh should get you the answer.
One reason that I like Leigh is that I can call them from time to time and ask about new features - they always share futures info and I appreciate that.
I'm personally looking forward to having square templates as I also like to do some mission stuff.
Randy

Jack Norfleet
08-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I recently found out that Leigh will be introducing serveral new templates for the FMT at the IWF, a square tenon, a template that is 90 degrees to the current ones and a template for louvered doors.
I use my fmt constantly.
Randy

Could you describe how the 90 degree template would work?

Randy Ferguson
08-07-2006, 11:14 AM
The current templates allow you to make a m/t joint that is along the left and right axis of the jig. It is my understanding that one of the new templates will allow us to make a m/t joint that is oriented front to back of the jig. Put another way, the new template has its guide rotated 90 degrees to the current ones - at least that's my understanding after a brief conversation with Leigh. There have been a few times when I have wished the jig had this capability - If this is important please call them to make sure I understood correctly...they are very easy to talk to - Cheers - Randy

Jack Norfleet
08-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Randy. I just couldn't picture the setup in my mind.