PDA

View Full Version : Need advice to create this panel

Louis Brandt
08-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Hello,
I need to create a couple of thin wooden panels to attach to the front of the breastplate of the fireplace surround that I’m building. I’ve checked with all of the craft stores in my area, and none of them sell what I’m looking for. I’ve included a rough drawing of what I’m trying to create. I intend to make them using 1/4 inch thick mahogany, and they will be about 6 inches wide by 8 inches tall. The four corners need to be cut out in curves, similar to what I’ve shown, although the curves may be less severe than in the drawing (it’s not to scale). After I’ve made them, I’ll attach them either with glue or small brads.
I would appreciate any comments that anyone has regarding the procedure that I have in mind to create them. It’s the only way that I can think of, but I welcome any comments as to a better way that anyone has in mind.
Obviously, cutting the rectangles for the panels isn’t my problem. I can do that on my RAS.
For the curves, I'm thinking of using a large forstner bit to cut each corner. I figure that a forstner bit will give me a cleaner cut that I could get with a hole saw mounted on a drill.

And I want all of the edges beveled, including the curves. My thinking is that I can do that best with a palm router and a chamfering bit. I’m guessing that a full-sized router might be overkill and even too heavy for such lightweight edges, especially the curves. I’d want the chamfer to be a full 45 degree chamfer, so that I’d bevel the entire edge of the piece.
Does anyone think that this would be the wrong approach? It may seem that I’m asking a very elementary question, but I’m still a woodworking novice, and I respect the opinions of you experienced woodworkers.
Note: You'll have to click on the thumbnail to see the panel well enough to tell what I'm talking about.
Louis

Don Baer
08-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I would us my trim router as you described.

Joe Unni
08-06-2006, 3:32 PM
Louis,

I'd create ONE panel as you describe, minus the chamfer, in 1/4" masonite. Get it perfect! Whether with router, forstner bit, jigsaw, sandpaper or whatever.

First, since your chamfering the edge away anyway, why don't you cut the mahogany panels a bit over size. Then (using double stick tape) use your template with the chamfer bit and bearing and trim/chamfer all in one step.

That's how I'd do it.

Good luck,
-joe

Louis Brandt
08-06-2006, 5:30 PM
Joe,
Thanks. That's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. Let me ask you this: If I did it your way (with the masonite template), would you think that a standard router (say a 2 1/4 HP) be ok for doing such work on thin material like 1/4 inch mahogany, or do you think that a standard router might be a problem with 1/4 inch and that I should use a palm router instead?
Louis

Doug Shepard
08-06-2006, 6:08 PM
The plan you have sounds pretty good to me. At 6"x8", you might also be able to speed things up by cutting 4 corners at a time if your DP will allow. If you butted 4 pcs together and located the Forstner bit spur at the intersection then clamped everything down well...

Bruce Page
08-06-2006, 6:25 PM
What Joe said.
You will need a template to champher the edges anyway.

Louis Brandt
08-06-2006, 7:11 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the replies, and the other part of my question is: With the added thickness of the masonite template providing a heavier surface for the router base to ride on, could I move up to a full-sized (say 2 1/4 HP) router, or should I stick to the idea of a palm (trim) router?
Louis

Joe Unni
08-06-2006, 8:35 PM
Louis,

The router size (i.e. weight) is not really an issue. Quarter inch solid stock will certainly support most any 2 1/4 HP router - even without the template. However, you'll need to think about the process itself.

Each of the following way should work just fine:

- using a hand held router (template down) you'll need to hang your work over the edge of the bench so the bit, bearing and screw (that's holding the bearing) will clear the bench top. You'll have to route, reposition and route and so on until the panel is complete

or

- put the router in a table (template up) and you should be able to route the panel in one continuous pass.

Not sure what you have available, but either option will work just fine.

-joe

Louis Brandt
08-06-2006, 8:58 PM
Joe,
Thanks again for the reply. You used the term "solid stock", but I'll probably be using 1/4 mahogany plywood, since I probably won't be able to find any 1/4 inch solid mahogany locally. Would you still say that a standard router will be acceptable using 1/4 mahogany plywood?
Louis

Joe Unni
08-06-2006, 9:19 PM
...would you still say that a standard router will be acceptable using 1/4 mahogany plywood?
Louis

Supported with 1/4" template and/or router table...yes.

-joe