PDA

View Full Version : Off The Wall Question - DNA/Microwave

George Summers
08-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I have yet to turn my first bowl (just learning spindle work so far) but will be jumping in in the the near future. Now I have followed the threads on DNA and understand the theory and process. Some time back there was discussion on using a microwave for drying. What would happen if the two were combined. Soak in DNA to displace the water and then nuke it in the microwave to help speed up the DNA drying process. Am I off my rocker to think this might work?

George

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-06-2006, 2:06 PM
I personally wouldn't recommend it. Remember: DNA is denatured alcohol. The vapor released during the microwaving process may be volatile enough to result in a nasty explosion. I haven't done it myself, but others may be able to make recommendations.

If you're interested in nuking to speed the drying process, you may want to consider the boiling method rather than DNA. I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison, but based on anectodal evidence, I would say that boiling and DNA are comprable in their capability.

Cecil Arnold
08-06-2006, 2:54 PM
I agree with Henry, however have heard that boiling may "relax" the wood fibers and result in less wood movement. I'll stick with DNA.

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2006, 6:35 PM
I don't know why you would want to do that. DNA soaking will dry wood in 2 to 4 weeks. Besides DNA in a microwave could be a disaster waiting to happen. Not wise.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-06-2006, 7:35 PM
DNA and a nuker..............? yeah, you could do it............once.............heck, you might even get away with it more than once :D

I'd say stay off the darwin awards list and don't do it!

John Shuk
08-06-2006, 8:33 PM
Why not? I use the clothes dryer to dry out my BLO soaked rags. I works great.;)

Dario Octaviano
08-06-2006, 9:05 PM
Cannot see why you want to do this.

If you will nuke anyway, you can dry a piece (especially thin ones) in a day.

Dave Smith
08-07-2006, 1:02 AM
Hi George,

I have tried micro waving to dry bowls. There are many variables in drying a bowl and micro waving is not predictable. Besides that I know of several people who have bought new micro wave ovens because they let all the smoke out of a piece they were drying. Stinky-poo! Before I did that I looked for a more passive way to dry bowls.

The alcohol drying protocol I developed is predictable and does not require constant monitoring. Your mileage may very.

Dave Smith

Back from Sophie's BBQ in Longview, WA.

Glenn Hodges
08-07-2006, 2:24 AM
George, I have thought about it, but have been chicken to try it. If you try it tell your wife or some of your lodge buddies to post the results in case you are not able.

Dick Strauss
08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
George,
If you decide to do it, follow these suggestions...

1. Get a long heavy duty extension cord
2. Place the microwave far away from all buildings or people
3. Build a plywood box around the microwave to contain the blast pieces (should the air/fuel mixture+fan spark happen to be just right inside).

By the way, watch your nose/lungs when you take the piece out of the nuker. The supercharged airborn alcohol will burn your nose/lungs in a hurry if you aren't real careful!

I wouldn't do it but good luck if you decide to try it!

Dick

Gary Max
08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
And do not ever use that mic for food again.

Gary DeWitt
08-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I agree on not using the mic for food ever again. Some of the poisons in DNA are really deadly. Not sure I'd microwave volatile substances. Sounds dangerous.
I bought a used mic on craigslist for $10 just to try it out, and had good success rough turning bowls and boxes from very green wood, then drying in the microwave only. No DNA. The pieces dried in about 2-3 days with maybe 6-9 cycles in the mic, on defrost or low, only until the piece was warm/hot to the touch. Definitly not smoking or visibly steaming. I can't see any difference between this and boiling, as long as the piece reaches a uniform 212 degrees. I also weighed the pieces after each cycle, when they had cooled, so I'd know when to stop. Works for me.