PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Situation . . .

glenn bradley
08-06-2006, 11:44 AM
I've had it. I am on a mission today to attempt to nullify the horrific effects of “Bradley's Disease”.

For those of you not familiar with this terrible malady, it manifests itself when one has accumulated so much stuff to do things with, that said individual cannot do anything due to the fact that one has so much stuff.

I regret to report that this condition appears to be hereditary; commonly passed from father to son; my daughter is blessedly immune. I only hope that through conscientious effort and vigilant pursuit, I can protect my sons from contracting this debilitating disease.

Now . . . off to clean up the shop.

James Boster
08-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your plight, but if it will help, I always knew I had something. Now I have the name for this bug!

scott spencer
08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Your granddad must have passed it to my granddad as evidenced by my shop! :eek: ;)

Don Baer
08-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Glenn,
I feel your pain, I too suffer from this malady. I spent yesterday hauling two truck loads of "stuff" to storage and still have a ways to go before I can even think about using my new temp shop. I'm afraid there is no cure you can only hope to relieve the symtoms and usualy that only a temporary relief..

Bob Noles
08-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm not even a Bradley and contracted the condition a few years ago. I am happy to report that there is hope though.... I finally got it under control and it is in remission at this time....

that is until something goes on sale again :eek: :eek: :eek:

Keith Outten
08-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Alas I have the disease as well, it seems terminal at this point and I have all but given up on the dream of being organized ever again. After months of cleaning I am still faced with STUFF everywhere.

I had it under control untill I purchased my ShopBot which takes almost one thrid of my shops floor space and I have not been able to regain control. The ShopBot has to stay though, my table saw and all the other major tools will go before I give up the ShopBot :)

glenn bradley
08-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks to the moderator for moving this thread, posted to 'General' in error. ;-)

Steve Clardy
08-06-2006, 1:33 PM
I always knew there was a name for it. But didn't know.

Guess I got it also.:o

Ned Bulken
08-06-2006, 2:18 PM
the term for the variant that I'm currently battling is 'creeping meatball' according to my dear mother.

Dennis Peacock
08-06-2006, 2:31 PM
Yea, I got it pretty bad......now that I know what "it's" called....I feel a little better now. ;) :)

Robert Mickley
08-06-2006, 7:11 PM
So thats whats wrong with me? Here and I thought it was just a pack rat

Tim Morton
08-06-2006, 9:19 PM
I am as of yet undiagnosed...but I did buy 4 bessey clamps from amazon on sale this summer and have yet to open the box...x2 for a dado blade last year...so the symptoms are definitely there....:eek:

Ed Breen
08-06-2006, 9:48 PM
Great Balls o Fire!
Thank heaven for the diagnosis. I can now stop hanging my head is shame because I thought I was a "HOARDER:eek: :eek: :eek: " Now, thanks to Dr. Bradley I can live amid my junk.
Ed

Andy Hoyt
08-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Your granddad must have passed it to my granddad as evidenced by my shop! :eek: ;) I would really like to see the family tree chart that shows how that transpired!:D

Norman Hitt
08-07-2006, 1:27 AM
Glenn, I think there must have been an Outbreak of this disease in the past that Exposed our Fathers, because my Grandad didn't have it, but my dad sure did, and if you could see my shop, you would know for certain that he passed it on to me, and I sure got the full dose of it.:o

Randal Stevenson
08-07-2006, 3:25 AM
I've had it. I am on a mission today to attempt to nullify the horrific effects of “Bradley's Disease”.

For those of you not familiar with this terrible malady, it manifests itself when one has accumulated so much stuff to do things with, that said individual cannot do anything due to the fact that one has so much stuff.

I regret to report that this condition appears to be hereditary; commonly passed from father to son; my daughter is blessedly immune. I only hope that through conscientious effort and vigilant pursuit, I can protect my sons from contracting this debilitating disease.

Now . . . off to clean up the shop.

Take two tools, and mail them to me in the morning!:D

glenn bradley
08-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah, you got it alright. It was probably dormant for years and was activated by a Bessy clamp sale!

Doug Shepard
08-07-2006, 10:28 AM
The good news is that you can learn to live with the disease. I've been a Bradley's Disease survivor for several decades now. The initial diagnosis comes as a severe blow, but since there's no cure for it, I try not to let it get me down. There's lots of self-help groups around for support too. I hear there's even one outfit called SMC that encourages you to get even more stuff so you wont go through the excruciating withdrawal cravings.

jim bradley
08-07-2006, 8:37 PM
Dear Son,
Why in the heck did you have to go and tell everyone. Are there no family secrets?
Love you anyway!!!
Dad

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 9:28 PM
Well MR BRADLEY.
It appears that you have contracted and propagated a strain of what we call around here "PACKRATITIS!" :eek:

This, too, is limited to the masculine gender, but spills over ALL types of individuals, including, but NOT limited to Mechanically inclined, Wood enthusiasts, Model makers, Sailors, and of course Golfers, although their affliction leans toward the "newest and Greatest" aid to "A straight, 300 yard Drive", The Backupable ball, and finally the TRUELY REMARKABLE NEVER MISS PUTTER!

I'm glad I gave up Golf for Turning. At least, when I put a piece out for sale, I get back more than I invested, so I can improve my stash of tools!:p :p

Bruce;)