PDA

View Full Version : Screen capture with Windows?

Bruce Page
08-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Is there a way to do a .jpg screen capture with Windows?

Lee DeRaud
08-06-2006, 12:12 PM
What do you want to do with it?

Alt-PrtSc captures the active window, Ctrl-PrtSc captures the whole screen...both leave the result on the clipboard so you can paste it into another program. I suspect that's in BMP format, so you'll need some photoediting program to convert it to JPG.

(The reason I'm a bit vague on this is that I have CorelDraw, which includes a much better capture program.)

Don Baer
08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
You mean like this ?

Shift - Prnt Scrn

Open up you favorite photo editor

Paste
Resize
Save AS

Fred Voorhees
08-06-2006, 1:11 PM
Alternatively, you can download this free program that allows you to capture anything on your screen. I use it from time to time. Very easy program to use and impliment.

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter.htm

Pete Simmons
08-06-2006, 1:29 PM
(The reason I'm a bit vague on this is that I have CorelDraw, which includes a much better capture program.)

How do you do this with Corel?

Jim Becker
08-06-2006, 2:35 PM
I use a "fee" product called "ScreenHunter". While you can do it with native Windows, I find that an application like this has more control...I often use the selection capability to just capture a small portion of what is on the screen to reduce editing in PhotoShop afterward.

Bruce Page
08-06-2006, 2:43 PM
Thanks guys.

Lee DeRaud
08-06-2006, 3:15 PM

How do you do this with Corel?The X3 suite includes "CorelCapture". :D

Jim Poelstra
08-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Here's a great little program called SnagIt.....

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

Nice feature, is that you can select only the part you want...

Doug Shepard
08-06-2006, 10:38 PM
OK - maybe I've been sleeping through some of the newer Windoze versions. What's the difference between PrtScrn, Shift-PrtScrn, and Ctrl-PrtScrn? I've always used Alt-PrtScrn for the active window and plain old PrtScrn for the entire screen, without Shift or Ctrl. When did those combos crop up and is there some subtle difference?

Bruce Page
08-06-2006, 11:34 PM
OK - maybe I've been sleeping through some of the newer Windoze versions. What's the difference between PrtScrn, Shift-PrtScrn, and Ctrl-PrtScrn? I've always used Alt-PrtScrn for the active window and plain old PrtScrn for the entire screen, without Shift or Ctrl. When did those combos crop up and is there some subtle difference?

Well, I couldn't get any of them to work on my win2000 machine, so I downloaded the free version of ScreenHunter.