PDA

View Full Version : Washing Dust Collector Bags. Can you do it?

Kevin Blunt
08-06-2006, 9:59 AM
Hey guys,

I was thinking this morning while I was cleaning out my dust collector bags (top and bottom) that I should wash them. I was thinking of actually washing the bottom bag in the machine as it seems to just be some sort of polyester/cotton blend and was thinking of hosing the 1 micron top filter bag and then laying it out in the sun. I realize that this might be overkill but I like to take care of my equipment and keep things clean. Do any of you see any problems with doing this? Especially the 1 micron bag. Thanks for your info. It is appreciated.

Kevin

Jim Becker
08-06-2006, 10:20 AM
If you remove all of the "cake", you are removing some of the filtration. While you "can" wash them, I wouldn't bother. It's not going to help anything nor extend their lives. It may reduce their lives.

Russ Massery
08-06-2006, 10:32 AM
My old dust collector had what sounds like the same bag. I never washed it. I agree with Jim, It might do more harm that good. I just turned it inside out and shook it outside. With a dust mask on of course!;)

Byron Trantham
08-06-2006, 5:36 PM
I take them outside too. Do wear a dust mask though. You might be surprised how much dust comes off with just shaking the bags. I shake mine about every fourth or fifth dumping.:rolleyes:

James Biddle
08-06-2006, 6:43 PM
I made the mistake of doing it. It stretched the bag a little plus I ended up with a little dust left over on the outside of the bag that blew around my shop when I started the DC back up. Not enough benefit to justify it IMHO.

Charlie Plesums
08-06-2006, 11:35 PM
When I got my custom bag, I asked about washing. They said to blow compressed air from the outside to the inside as the recommended way to get out the dust/dirt that works its way into the fabric (the reason people generally want to wash the bag)

Chris Barton
08-07-2006, 7:39 AM
I just replaced the original bags on my Delta 850 with new 1 micron bags from PSI ($79) and the difference is astounding! These new bags almost doubled the airflow (no scientific measurements, just observation) but, they say specifically that they should not be washed because it would damage the special coating on the interior. For anyone that has been thinking about the 1 micron bags, boy are they well worth it...

Kent Fitzgerald
08-07-2006, 9:53 AM
I agree with the other posts re not washing the bags

From your post, it sounds like you're using a 30 micron woven bag on the bottom of your DC. Be aware that this negates much of the effectiveness of your 1 micron top bag.